x-Colorado
x-Dallas
Nashville
Edmonton
Vancouver
Phoenix
Winnipeg
Calgary

same exact teams as last year? cool league.

just makes me spend time doing better things than watching Adult-Boys suck at a game year after year.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Everything will be exactly the same as it always is, because nothing changes. Sidney Crosby will win the Hart. Ovechkin will score the most goals. The Sharks will choke in the first round. The Kings or the Blackhawks will win the cup. All 7 Canadian Franchises will suck in one way or another. Rinse and Repeat.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think the OP is on the right track saying that Calgary will be ending this season in the basement.

And personally, I felt like last season started out as an anomaly, which lead into old habits... I believe we'll be progressed from our 2012-2013 rankings which would put us up to atleast 78 points. Calgary is going to get worse before they get better.

I really don't want Calgary to beat us. I really don't.

But they try REALLY hard each and every game, and fall short.

We try to out-skill opponents, but give up when the going gets a bit rough. I'm not sure if there's a cure to 'losers mentality'.

We are the team that loses 8-1 to Calgary, and gets booed off the ice.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/23/edmonton-oilers-blown-out-by-the-calgary-flames

Calgary simply has the lunch-bucket mentality, and will outwork us. They are at their absolute worst they've been in their history, they still managed to beat us in both the standings, and the season series, and they are getting better from here. Not completely sure we are.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
West:
1. Anaheim
2. St.Louis
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. San Jose
7. Minnesota
8. Nashville
9. Colorado
10. Phoenix
11. Vancouver
12. Winnipeg
13. Edmonton
14. Calgary

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
West:
1. Anaheim
2. St.Louis
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. Nashville
9. San Jose
10. Calgary
11. Edmonton
12. Vancouver
13. Winnipeg
14. Arizona

vincent780

Aug 2, 2010
La
Ana
Sj

StL
Chi
Dal

Minni
Col

Nash, Van, Edm, Ari (these 4 plus Col fight for last spot), Winnipeg, Cgy

Boston
Mtl
Tampa

Pit
Phi
NYR

NYI
CLB

Wsh, Det, NJ, Tor, Carolina, Ott, Fla, Buf

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The Oilers could conceivably finish almost anywhere. They could surprise and finish solidly in a playoff spot or could be bottom 3. I will say one thing, they better not finish below the Flames again of they should just toss in the chips.

Agree.

The team under performed last year, and should be improved next season on paper. I think we have a shot at playoff hockey.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Two scenarios.

#1 Eakins continues to suck and we finish a spot or two higher than we did. Ill say 5th last. We play marginally better but still not even as good as when Krueger ran the team.

#2 Eakins combined with Renny works, OR Eakins gets fired after the first 10 games. Either which way I see this roster with an NHL calibre coach to be much more competitive. I would think in this case the Oiler finish roughly 10th last still out of a playoff spot but with genuine improvement from top to bottom. Something like this.

West:
1. Anaheim
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Dallas
5. St.Louis
6. San Jose
7. Colorado
8. Minnesota
9. Edmonton
10. Nashville
11. Vancouver
12. Calgary
13. Winnipeg
14. Arizona

If San Hose self destructs or the Kings have a massive hangover the Oilers could potentially bump one of those two out to make the playoffs but that is highly unlikely.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Would Oilers be playoffs bound if Kovalchuk joins the team? Hypothetically of course.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
West:
1. Anaheim
2. Chicago
3. St.Louis
4. Los Angeles
5. Dallas
6. San Jose
7. Colorado
8. Minnesota
9. Winnipeg
10. Nashville
11. Arizona
12. Calgary
13. Edmonton
14. Vancouver

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think Calgary will beat out Edmonton this year in the standings...

I'm hoping to find some similarly delusional Flames' fans for wager purposes.

You'd do also. If you'd care to put money on that outcome, I'm in.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Needing a win in regulation in our final regular season game, at 2-1 with 30 seconds remaining in the third period, a Eberle failed toedrag attempt on an empty net fails and it results in a turnover that ends up in the back of our own net.

Your hatred of Eberle is pathetic. It's even more pathetic that you only post on this forum to push your pathetic anti-Eberle agenda.

Anyway, i'll stop feeding the troll and get the thread back on track.
I can't see the Oilers finishing better than 2nd or 3rd worst in the west until i see different. Some of the team like Calgary, Arizona and Vancouver that a lot of have finishing behind the Oilers have been much better than them for years so why should this year be any different?
On paper, they should be better than a handful of teams but the Oilers always seem to look better on paper than they look on the ice so i'm in wait and see mode. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Last edited:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Would Oilers be playoffs bound if Kovalchuk joins the team? Hypothetically of course.

Hear ye hear ye! Kovalchuk leaves St Petersburg for Edmonton and league minimum! Fans rejoice!
(Cap, mate.)

But, hypothetically, since Kovy is neither a center nor an elite to great LD, and he's a LW (the ONLY POSITION we don't need help in), I think not.

We are a 2C and depth shy of the playoffs. Arco could cut it. So could Yakimov. Who knows? But they probably won't. Such is life.

Pac
Ana
Sjs
LAK

Cen
Chi
StL
Dal

Wild card
Min
Col - 50%
Nsh - 30%
Van - 10%
Arz - 5%
Edm - 5%

Cgy

Wpg. :( GET A *%$#%$@ GOALIE

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
So not having dubnyk is 5 more wins at least.

A second half of last season form Schultz and Nuge is about 3 more wins.

After that goaltending and health will determine where we finish.

Really just take their Jan 14 - season end results and extrapolate and +/- 10 points and thats where we'll end up.

Vegas odds on the oilers are up this year by 25/1 (to 50/1 odds, which are the same as all the bubble teams)

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm hoping to find some similarly delusional Flames' fans for wager purposes.

You'd do also. If you'd care to put money on that outcome, I'm in.

Read the thread related to this last year. It's good for some yucks seeing 90% of the people talk exactly like you are talking now last year.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Your hatred of Eberle is pathetic. It's even more pathetic that you only post on this forum to push your pathetic anti-Eberle agenda.

Feel free to ignore me any time, cupcake.

I've made maybe four or five posts on Eberle over the past six months. If you're going to take the most light hearted of them all so seriously during the height of summer, perhaps you should save yourself the conniption fit and do it prompto.

#EberleToeDrag

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Read the thread related to this last year. It's good for some yucks seeing 90% of the people talk exactly like you are talking now last year.

To be fair, if not for Dubnyk that would've been a safe bet. Nobody knew he was going to play so bad.

There's 5 games on him at least.

The one that sticks out the most was game 1 against winnipeg. He single-handedly lost that one.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair, if not for Dubnyk that would've been a safe bet. Nobody knew he was going to play so bad.

There's 5 games on him at least.

The one that sticks out the most was game 1 against winnipeg. He single-handedly lost that one.

The Toronto game was worse, IMO. But either way, that's 4 points right there that the Oilers could have had. In the WC, that's huge.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I'll try to think of 6 teams we could beat to make playoffs:

1. Calgary
2. Nashville
3. Winnipeg
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona (at this stage it starts to get a bit rough)
6. Colorado (if they unexpectedly regress, like we did last year...), Anaheim (if the Kesler stink makes them lose all their mojo, perhaps a Getzlaf/ Perry injury), Dallas (if Seguin or Benn get injured)... maybe even Minnesota (goalie?)...

so it's possible... might as well dream "big" in July.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I'll try to think of 6 teams we could beat to make playoffs:

1. Calgary
2. Nashville
3. Winnipeg
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona (at this stage it starts to get a bit rough)
6. Colorado (if they unexpectedly regress, like we did last year...), Anaheim (if the Kesler stink makes them lose all their mojo, perhaps a Getzlaf/ Perry injury), Dallas (if Seguin or Benn get injured)... maybe even Minnesota (goalie?)...

so it's possible... might as well dream "big" in July.

Looking more so like the best the Oilers can do this year is 10th.

(Colorado,Anaheim,Dallas,Minnesota)

Edmonton

(Calgary,Nashville,Vancouver,Winnipeg)

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
EAST:
ATLANTIC
y- Boston
x-Tampa Bay
x-Montreal
METROPOLITAN
p-Pittsburgh
x-Washington
x-Columbus
WILD CARD
x-Philadelphia
x-NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Detroit
Florida
Ottawa
New Jersey
Toronto
Carolina
Buffalo

WEST:
CENTRAL
z-St Louis
x-Minnesota
x-Chicago
PACIFIC
y-San Jose
x-Anaheim
x-LA
WILD CARD
x-Dallas
x-Vancouver
Nashville
Colorado
Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Ana
Sj
La
Edm
Phx
Van
Cal

STL
Chi
Col
Min
Dal
Nash
Wpg

With min/dal/edm fighting for the wild card but i still think dallas and minny beat us out tho

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Every year in these prediction threads people have the Oilers finishing higher than the Coyotes and every year they finish way ahead of us in the standings.

The only team in the West I'm confident we will have a better record than is Calgary, but I thought the same thing last year.

There is no guarantee we will finish ahead of the Coyotes, and I agree that it's a good chance we won't.

And even with Calgary, they had just as bad goaltending as us (and improved there a lot with Hiller), and were 10 points higher than us last year... there should be no confidence in being ahead of them in the standings. Sure they lost Cammalleri but Gadreau has a decent chance of picking of that slack, they've got Giordano healthy (he was +12 last year, he's a HUGE plus for them when he's in the lineup, he had the ankle fracture and missed time), and Monahan is a year older as well (maybe we should start praying for a sophomore slump for him)

Stats
Goals For per game: Calgary 2.46 Edmonton 2.43
Goals against per game: Calgary 2.90 Edmonton 3.26
Difference: Calgary -0.44 Edmonton -0.83

and if people blame bad goalkeeping (though sv% Calgary .899 Edmonton .901)

Shots for per game: Calgary 26.8 Edmonton 26.9
Shots against per game: Calgary 28.6 Edmonton 32.9
Difference: Calgary -1.8 Edmonton -6.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad