Prospect Info: #135 Overall - Joona Koppanen

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
His stats are strange, had a 57 point season, then backed it up with 26 points in 2 more games but was a plus 26.

Actually, on second look, that was the jump from U18 to U20, bigger dudes I guess. Oh well, start eating kiddo, that height at 88kg's you might be blown over by a stiff breeze :naughty:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
His stats are strange, had a 57 point season, then backed it up with 26 points in 2 more games but was a plus 26.

Actually, on second look, that was the jump from U18 to U20, bigger dudes I guess. Oh well, start eating kiddo, that height at 88kg's you might be blown over by a stiff breeze :naughty:

Yeah. Age, maturity, height, weight, quality of competition (U20 are more evenly matched leagues, usually) and different role on the team (probably didn't get as much ice time playing with guys 2 ½ - 4 years older) are all factors, so nothing unusual with that kind of drop when going to a different tier league. JFK had 32 points in 26 games in Sweden on Nacka J18 in 11-12, next year played mostly for Linköping J20 and had 16 points in 31 games, for comparison (he didn't turn 16 until a couple of weeks into the season, iirc).

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Pretty jealous you guys got Koppanen. He's my sleeper for the 2016 draft. Lots of potential, can be dominant in junior, give him a few years and he'll be making scouts question how they passed on a powerful 6'5" forward with skill. I was hoping the Oilers would grab him as early as the 3rd round.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Curious, is gumby still our European scout? Would he have recommended this guy?

P.J. AXELSSON EUROPEAN AMATEUR SCOUT
ERKKI RAJAMAKI EUROPEAN AMATEUR SCOUT
SVENAKE SVENSSON EUROPEAN SCOUT

Are their European scouts, per the Bruins' site.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I think being drafted by an NHL team at 18yrs old would be a huge difference between him and Kempainen who was never drafted and came over at like 27rs old.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I think being drafted by an NHL team at 18yrs old would be a huge difference between him and Kempainen who was never drafted and came over at like 27rs old.
Let's hope so. Carl Soderberg was drafted young, came over briefly and retreated back to Scandanavia after he was sent to Peoria. This kid needs to spend a few years in the Finnish Elite league before venturing westward.....hopefully more mature and better developed.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Let's hope so. Carl Soderberg was drafted young, came over briefly and retreated back to Scandanavia after he was sent to Peoria. This kid needs to spend a few years in the Finnish Elite league before venturing westward.....hopefully more mature and better developed.

There are other routes to the big league, no one true way. We'll see what kind of person and player Koppanen is, but obviously we'll most likely have to practise patience with him, as all NHL teams should be prepared to do for players drafted in the mid to late rounds (as well as many others).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Koppanen hasn't never been high scoring Centerman like Barkov.
He's and he'll always be 3rd or 4th line shutdown Centerman

But at the moment Koppanen is leading scorer ( 26 points in 19 games) in Finnish U20 juniors.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
He's and he'll always be 3rd or 4th line shutdown Centerman

I assume you haven't seen Koppanen play much, if at all, or you are just trolling. He's actually quite skilled and he can move well for his size. Yes, he's strong defensively and wins face-offs but he's got scoring potential, that's for certain.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Signed his 3 year ELC with the Bruins. Kinda confused, we gonna have enough room to sign all these kids? He (to me) was going to be the last guy signed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad