GDT: #13 // Oilers @ Red Wings // Nov 3 @ 5 PM MST // TV: SN

Who should start in net tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Eesh. Montoya isn’t exactly setting the ‘field on fire, eh?

On a slightly different note, anyone think Hebig might get a bit of a look this year? Undrafted overager and all that, but he’s been lights out lately.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
@SK13 with the unabashed Talbot vote. :)

Yeah. It's the right decision and I'd guess the one Todd will make.

You don't sit the established starter who is playing solid-if-not-spectacular hockey because the back-up has one good game. Koskinen will probably start against Washington on Monday, and if he keeps giving you reason to run him, that's when you actually do.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Really hoping to hear Koskinen's post taps as the Wings enter the zone tonight.

Its like his battle cry. I love it. Hope he gets the start.

Reactions: Aerrol

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB

You don't sit the established starter who is playing solid-if-not-spectacular hockey because the back-up has one good game. Koskinen will probably start against Washington on Monday, and if he keeps giving you reason to run him, that's when you actually do.

I dont agree with this.

Send a message to Talbot, that he needs to earn every minute of ice he gets and he will get a shot when Kosk faulters. Even if he has played alright thus far. Although, i wouldnt call the Minesota game spectacular by any means...

Reactions: Gord

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I honestly don't think it's a big deal either way, but imo I think a performance like Koskinen's should earn him this start. Nothing has changed, Talbot is the starter, but when your backup plays a strong game when called upon you should reward that in the short term.

Play Koskinen tonight, split the back to back and then Talbot takes back the reins after that.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

It's not anywhere close to spectacular. Koskinen played great last game and got a shutout. He is learning incredibly fast too. You run with the hot goalie (Talbot where is your f***ing shutout?) until he loses the net. Talbot is still the starter, but you have to get Koskinen 20 games at some point. Talbot can't play 75 games.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Talbot... then Talbot again vs the Caps.. then Koskinen vs TBay.

That last game was a solid throw down by Koskinen... now I want to see a well rested Talbot rise to the occasion and respond in kind with a great goaltending performance of his own.

After that upcoming victory vs the Wings you ride Talbot into the game vs the Caps who will obviously be looking for some revenge after their previous loss to the Oilers.

Then you give Koskinen the start in the 2nd half of the back to back vs TB.

That way both goalies get solid balanced workloads... both get 2 games in a 4 game stretch.

Last edited:

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Damn. A game which is not too late and we are doing good. We have been doing good at the time I haven't been watching so I guess I will have to skip this one too. Fingers crossed

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Koskinen vs Wings, you ride the hot goalie.
Talbot... then Talbot again vs the Caps.. then Koskinen vs TBay.

That last game was a solid throw down by Koskinen... now I want to see a well rested Talbot rise to the occasion and respond in kind with a great goaltending performance of his own.

After that upcoming victory vs the Wings you ride Talbot into the game vs the Caps who will obviously be looking for some revenge after their previous loss to the Oilers.

Then you give Koskinen the start in the 2nd half of the back to back vs TB.

That way both goalies get solid balanced workloads... both get 2 games in a 4 game stretch.

Why not let Koskinen play the Wings? You should reward him for his fine play by giving him another game. If Talbs plays the Wings and plays good, well it's just the Red Wings. Only after Caps/Lightning will you have a chance to see who plays best against a very strong team. I would go Kosk, Talbs, Kosk for Det,Caps,Lightning and from there hope that it's not easy to decide who is playing better.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
"Riding the hot goaltender" is not something NHL teams actually do. Yeah, backups on a run do often take over the starting job for a time, but never when the starter is both playing okay hockey and the run is exactly one game deep.

If this mindset or conversation were any more premature, it'd be a laughing stock among the ladies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Is it silly to let them alternate for a while? Talbot 1 game, Koskinen 1 game, and so on. Seriously asking what the pros/cons would be?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
"Riding the hot goaltender" is not something NHL teams actually do. Yeah, backups on a run do often take over the starting job for a time, but never when the starter is both playing okay hockey and the run is exactly one game deep.

If this mindset or conversation were any more premature, it'd be a laughing stock among the ladies.
Kosk was not signed to be a backup.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Koskinen was signed to a "prove it" deal. Top players from the KHL can be real good NHLers, but nothing is certain until it's proven.
And if he proves it he will be on the open market to the highest bidder. The better he is the more likely we are to loose him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Why do you keep claiming Talbot is playing 'okay' hockey? He has a .904 sv% which might be the lowest of any starter in the NHL. He is playing poorly. Hell, this is his lowest sv% in a season ever.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
And if he proves it he will be on the open market to the highest bidder. The better he is the more likely we are to loose him.

Even if he wins the Vezina I don't think teams would just throw tons cash and term at him. One could argue the better he plays the more likely he is to stay. If he is clearly better than Talbot then we could make it far in the playoffs. If we offer him a competitive offer, I'm sure he would rather stay here than go to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad