13" "adult" shin guards?

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Anyone successfully use a pair of these and if so what brand? I'm only 5'7 and 14" guards seem too long and bulky. However apparently I have big calves because the 2 pair of 13" seniors I tried on were way too small around the calf wrap. The reebok pair I tried on wouldn't even reach around, about 2 inches too short.

Anyone have this issue, any suggestions on brand/model?
Thanks!

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Anyone successfully use a pair of these and if so what brand? I'm only 5'7 and 14" guards seem too long and bulky. However apparently I have big calves because the 2 pair of 13" seniors I tried on were way too small around the calf wrap. The reebok pair I tried on wouldn't even reach around, about 2 inches too short.

Anyone have this issue, any suggestions on brand/model?
Thanks!

The only 2 companies I'm aware of that make "adult"-sized 13" shins are Bauer and Warrior. IMO, the Nexus(and it's predecessor "pro series") fit the shortest yet widest in the Bauer lineup.

When looking at Warrior, make sure the label says "adult" 13 though as they also make a jr size 13. But IMO, Warrior's shins seem to run about an inch or so bigger than other companies.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you and have given up on finding shin guards that actually wrap around my huge calves. I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a pair of Nexus shin guards...they pretty short, shorter than the supremes, and extremely wide but they do not even come close to wrapping around my calves.

If you're really concerned about protecting the back of the calves, I think you're gonna have to do a custom job with buying some foams somewhere and strapping them on back there somehow.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I was in that same spot a couple years back. I'm 5'8 and was wearing 14" pads that always seemed a bit big. Seemed funny I would use "normal" size pads when I was shorter. Well, I tried on all the 13" and 13.5" (Reebok) pads and they were all TINY. Felt like little kid pads.

When I looked at the sizing chart, some of the recommendations were for 15" pads. That didn't make any sense, but when I tried them on with my skates some 15" pads fit BETTER than 14" pads because they didn't push against the tongue or top of the boot.

At this point I realized that I needed the kneecap centered on my knee yet coverage down to my boot without sliding around. And what I found was that I could remove the liner of my shin pads and adjust them up or down slightly so they cradled my knee and went to exactly the spot on the boot I wanted.

So if I were you, I'd try to "adjust" the fit of 14" shin pads with the liner.

DJH

Aug 27, 2011
The RBK 10k I use have an adjustable calf wrap based on velcro. You can move the pad to cover more of the back of your calf or remove it all together. The issue is that the straps to hold the pads to your legs are short and you would probably have to rely on shin tape to hold them in place iif using the RBK. If you had not seen that already check them out again the next time you see them. Perhaps the adjustment mechanism they have will be enough.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Thanks dudes, I ended up getting the bauer supreme one60 13" adult. If these don't fit i'll have to dig further, or cut some 14's like someone above mentioned.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
if the Bauers don't work get a hold of some Warrior Bullys. some Warriors have straps that will make it around and some don't. I've had the same problem for years and the Bullys have solved that. not only that but I block a lot of shots and I have yet to receive any sort of bruise since switching from the Warrior Hustler (now called the Franchise) to the Bullys even though the Bullys are considered mid-level. unfortunately not a lot of places stock the Bullys anymore but Hockey Monkey has them on clearance for $35.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I was planning on cutting down my 14" shins until I realized I could re-align them. A lot of shins with removable liners offer that adjustability. Check out to make sure yours do too before you cut the tags off them. I'd be surprised if any 13" shins wrap around even an average sized calf...

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Thanks dudes, I ended up getting the bauer supreme one60 13" adult. If these don't fit i'll have to dig further, or cut some 14's like someone above mentioned.

FYI, the nexus and pro series lines fit nearly a full inch shorter than the supreme and vapor while giving a much deeper and wider fit. The supremes, although wider than the vapor, still fit kind of narrow IMO.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Update-I got the bauer supreme one60 13" adult pads. They are fantastic, perfect length and great fit. One thing I remember about my old shin guards is that they tapered down too much, got real skinny toward the ankle. These don't have such a dramatic taper and feel very comfy and lots of protection. The calf wrap is nice, I could have used that a couple times last year after getting shots redirected into my calf and having a nice bruise.

If anyone my size is considering adult 13" guards, check out the bauer line up, i'm very pleased.

reecardo

Mar 1, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Roller gear

There is a guy on my Monday league that was showing off his newish roller knee guards. It looked pretty substantial to me. Might be worth taking a look at the street gear.

bjc

Dec 12, 2012
I was planning on cutting down my 14" shins until I realized I could re-align them. A lot of shins with removable liners offer that adjustability. Check out to make sure yours do too before you cut the tags off them. I'd be surprised if any 13" shins wrap around even an average sized calf...

I have a pair of Rbk 7k 13" Jr. shin guards that I bought without looking at the size - I just put them on and they fit in terms of coverage. The calf straps gave me trouble at first (I'm 5'9", 185 so not a skinny guy by any means) but I found that looping the straps lower on the leg (more lower calf, upper ankle) gave me more than enough to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad