Line Combos: 13/14 Power Play units

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I see our pp units being made up of these 10 players. I split them up into these 2 units just to give a better visual

1. Giroux, Voracek, Kimmo, Simmons, hartnell

2. Vinny, Streit, Schenn Couturier and Read

What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I see our pp units being made up of these 10 players. I split them up into these 2 units just to give a better visual

What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.

I like them. Schenn is going to have to commit and be in front on the second. Vinny likes the right half board.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I like them. Schenn is going to have to commit and be in front on the second. Vinny likes the right half board.

I'd be ok with both Couturier and Schenn in front of the net. Kind of like Hartnell and Simmonds on the first.
Read on the left half board, Vinny on the right and Streit out top.

---------------------Simmonds/Couturier-----------------------------

-Giroux/Read--------Hartnell/Schenn---------Voracek/Lecavalier-

------------------------Timonen/Streit--------------------------------

Evergreen

1: Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Timonen, Voracek

2: Lecavalier, Couturier, B Schenn, Streit, Read

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
1.giroux,schenn,simmonds,voracek,timonen

2.lecavalier,couturier,hartnell,streit,read/gustafsson

if mcginn play i like having him in front of the net for the rebound

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.

At the same token (assuming Lavi keeps the first unit in tact) if Streit & Vinny improve the second unit it will give Lavi an opportunity to not rely as heavily on the first unit.

Evergreen

Isn't this what OP said?

Well then we probably agree with each other. I had actually typed out the names in their positions on the PP unit, but when I clicked "submit" the formatting got screwed up, so I just changed it to the list of names.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
The 2nd PP unit was terrible last year.

It would be nice to have a competent 2nd unit so the 1st isn't so dependent on the success of the team.

Lecavalier and Streit should help immensely, plus the continued growth of Couturier and Schenn.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

:laugh:

Because being on the PP is so taxing. The PP is Kimmo's bread and butter. If he isn't out there, then he isn't worth $6 million. That unit has been so good there's no reason to break them up (especially when this team relies on the PP a lot). Ice time is a lot like a pitch count. There' strenuous minutes and there's easy minutes. The PP = easy minutes.

As for the second unit, you finally have two guys that you can run the PP through. The second unit struggled all year last year because they had no one that could (or wanted to) control the play. If Raffl makes the team, I could see Lavy wanting to get a look at him on that unit. Couturier got his shot last year in the beginning of the year and didn't grasp his opportunity. He looks better this year, but he could be on a short leash.

Give it up. He's not replacing Kimmo in any form. Lavy pretty much gave up on the idea of playing Gus on the PP (Luke Schenn was ahead of him on the PP depth chart last year!!!) He was a good AHL QB, but for whatever reason it hasn't translated. With Streit in the mix for the next number of years, Gostisbehere coming sooner than people think, and Peter's preference for 4 forwards, Gus will be nothing more than a fallback option.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Because being on the PP is so taxing. The PP is Kimmo's bread and butter. If he isn't out there, then he isn't worth $6 million. That unit has been so good there's no reason to break them up (especially when this team relies on the PP a lot). Ice time is a lot like a pitch count. There' strenuous minutes and there's easy minutes. The PP = easy minutes.

As for the second unit, you finally have two guys that you can run the PP through. The second unit struggled all year last year because they had no one that could (or wanted to) control the play. If Raffl makes the team, I could see Lavy wanting to get a look at him on that unit. Couturier got his shot last year in the beginning of the year and didn't grasp his opportunity. He looks better this year, but he could be on a short leash.

Give it up. He's not replacing Kimmo in any form. Lavy pretty much gave up on the idea of playing Gus on the PP (Luke Schenn was ahead of him on the PP depth chart last year!!!) He was a good AHL QB, but for whatever reason it hasn't translated. With Streit in the mix for the next number of years, Gostisbehere coming sooner than people think, and Peter's preference for 4 forwards, Gus will be nothing more than a fallback option.

What?

Gus was 3rd behind only Kimmo and Mesz in pp toi/g last season. Heck Foster and Coburn had a higher pp toi/g then Luke last season. With Mez def on his way out and Kimmo here for two years maximum it wouldn't surprise me to see Streit and Gus as our two ppqbs at least until someone else better comes. And I don't know where this Ghost will be here sooner then people think is coming from. He said he wants to finish college which mean two more years. If he's ready after that, and that a big if considering his weight and the fact that he's a d-man looking to make the jump to the NHL from college, I still don't think I'd have him qbing a pp unit.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
if it ain't broke don't fix it, but i think Lavi will move Lecavalier to the 1st unit instead of Hartnell

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What?

Gus was 3rd behind only Kimmo and Mesz in pp toi/g last season. Heck Foster and Coburn had a higher pp toi/g then Luke last season. With Mez def on his way out and Kimmo here for two years maximum it wouldn't surprise me to see Streit and Gus as our two ppqbs at least until someone else better comes. And I don't know where this Ghost will be here sooner then people think is coming from. He said he wants to finish college which mean two more years. If he's ready after that, and that a big if considering his weight and the fact that he's a d-man looking to make the jump to the NHL from college, I still don't think I'd have him qbing a pp unit.

I wasn't making a case for Luke Schenn. He has no business being on the PP. At the end of the year when Meszaros and Coburnwent down, and Foster fell out of favor, Luke Schenn was playing the point on the 2nd PP a good bit. When Timonen missed those few games at the end of the year, they put Gustafsson in his spot on the first unit.

As far as being third in PP toi/g, is that really impressive amongst a group of offensive dynamos such as Bruno Gervais, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Kurtis Foster, and the rest of the gang? You also have to consider the Flyers go with 4 forwards 95% of the time. But to play along, Matt Carle averaged a minute more of PP time than Gus (and his 25 game sample size) over 3 years as the third guy in the pecking order. All that said, Gustafsson managed a whole power play point last season. Hell in the World Championships I don't even think he was getting PP time on a team with 1 other NHL defenseman.

Regarding Gostisbehere, what do you expect the kid to say? He has a commitment and there was no formal contract offer. Everyone leaves this quote out as well: "I would definitely be tempted to sign" [if offered a contract]. The Flyers will have some pull at the end of the year if they want him to sign. The last thing they want is for his development to stagnate. He needs to be challenged. It's no coincidence that most NHL prospects, who go the college route, don't play their senior seasons.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I wasn't making a case for Luke Schenn. He has no business being on the PP. At the end of the year when Meszaros and Coburnwent down, and Foster fell out of favor, Luke Schenn was playing the point on the 2nd PP a good bit. When Timonen missed those few games at the end of the year, they put Gustafsson in his spot on the first unit.

As far as being third in PP toi/g, is that really impressive amongst a group of offensive dynamos such as Bruno Gervais, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Kurtis Foster, and the rest of the gang? You also have to consider the Flyers go with 4 forwards 95% of the time. But to play along, Matt Carle averaged a minute more of PP time than Gus (and his 25 game sample size) over 3 years as the third guy in the pecking order. All that said, Gustafsson managed a whole power play point last season. Hell in the World Championships I don't even think he was getting PP time on a team with 1 other NHL defenseman.

Regarding Gostisbehere, what do you expect the kid to say? He has a commitment and there was no formal contract offer. Everyone leaves this quote out as well: "I would definitely be tempted to sign" [if offered a contract]. The Flyers will have some pull at the end of the year if they want him to sign. The last thing they want is for his development to stagnate. He needs to be challenged. It's no coincidence that most NHL prospects, who go the college route, don't play their senior seasons.

No, I'm not overly impressed with Gus' play on the pp but as you pointed out yourself it's a small sample size and considering the Flyers won't have any better options unless something drastic happens he'll get pp time assuming of course Kimmo doesn't come back. I was merely pointing out that Schenn mostly definitely won't get pp time when Gus is available as you stated.

And as far as Ghost is concerned he needs to dominate college before we can talk about giving him a bigger challenge. In one years time if he tried to make the jump to the NHL he would get destroyed. There's a reason most d-man don't make the jump straight from juniors/college to the NHL.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Those units are fine, but they should find a way to work gus in enough to see what he's got. There's enough indication that he could be a long term solution to warrant giving him some pp ice time

RJ8812*

If Gus is on this team, he needs PP time on the 2nd unit

And no, he won't be groomed to replace Timonen. He isn't going to be that good

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If Gus is on this team, he needs PP time on the 2nd unit

And no, he won't be groomed to replace Timonen. He isn't going to be that good

Where is this coming from? Someone said Kimmo will be gone soon so Gus needs pp time to improve for the future. Specifically they said "it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role". No one ever said he's a Kimmo replacement.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Ice time is still ice time and the team will suffer if Kimmo is asked to play 22 minutes as a 38 year old.

Streit has a better shot and shouldn't be on the PK unless there's an emergency. He should be given every chance to contribute on the power play.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

By keeping the PP units like this it does a few REALLY good things.

1. If our fist line is tired and just coming off of ES, we have the 2nd unit which is all rested. And conversely, if our 2nd, 3rd or 4th line was just on the ice, we have a fresh 1st line ready to go. Striet and Kimmo can switch off depending who is freshest.

2. Schenn and Couts get a vet like Vinny to help them AND have Kimmo or Streit at the point on D. This added experince will help and it won't be a big deal to have them start a PP if our 1st line was just out on ES.

3. If Kimmo retires next year, then Gus can step into a more offensive role. And he will have more experience too. And delaying Gus's PP points also keeps his salary down for next year. Rather have a medium breakout once he is locked in cheap for a few years.

4. Having the PP lines like this, if we don't score on either one, we can always come back with our fresh 4th line right away and then we are quickly back to out 1st line ready to go with

All I hope for is that Schenn is signed soon because I do think a breakout is coming.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kadri scored at a 75 point pace and got 2.9m a year for two years.

So I'm not worried about Schenn's next deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad