13-14 Arguably Worst Offensive Season Ever

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
I just ended up laughing it off... Funniest thing though was at the Edmonton Oilers game on Saturday and some lady yelled 'Losers' and my fiancée got pissed and yelled back 'eight years out of the playoffs doesn't give you the right to call anyone losers, but certainly makes you an expert!'

I was so proud!

(And the Oilers crowd agreed)

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Whew. I am glad that season is over. Just ugly all around. Fortunately, we get a high draft pick and we can all look forward to the start of next season. Hopefully, whoever is on this team next season can put some rubber into the opposition's net.

Does the 196 goals count the 15 or so our team scored on ourselves? If not, that will help the numbers!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
What went wrong? Another year where we did not get a legit top line RW'er and the Sedins couldn't carry the load along with carrying Burrows. Injuries galore, but at least we were winning games until we lost Santorelli for the season and Henrik for that stretch at the same time. Without Henrik, this team is lost, I think that became pretty clear this season. As soon as those injuries happened too, the PK went straight into the toilet. All this moaning about the Sedins on the PK, but it turns out they seemed to be pretty good at it until the injuries piled up.

Also a terrible PP with no real shooting threats from the point. Just not many guys on this team that can shoot the puck hard, period. The D played like individuals for most of the season, with Edler and Garrison way under-performing. Tanev's solid defensively and can block shots, it's too bad he can't shoot the puck.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
considering the sorry history of this franchise in the 70's, 80's and late 90's, i find the offensive facts in the original post absolutely remarkable

even if everything went wrong, you still couldnt have predicted top line and power play offence to reach buffalo and florida levels of suck over the course of 82 games

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
considering the sorry history of this franchise in the 70's, 80's and late 90's, i find the offensive facts in the original post absolutely remarkable

even if everything went wrong, you still couldnt have predicted top line and power play offence to reach buffalo and florida levels of suck over the course of 82 games

Oh but some expected this, even when there was no evidence to suggest it. Not by the statistical measures heading into game 45 or so anyway.

Yes, the season turned out to be very poor. One that was expected? Not from the outset, no.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Oh but some expected this, even when there was no evidence to suggest it. Not by the statistical measures heading into game 45 or so anyway.

Yes, the season turned out to be very poor. One that was expected? Not from the outset, no.

im sure there will be some that gloat that they expected this, even though forecasting the canucks to have a tough year in their new division and miss the playoffs wasnt necessarily a brave prediction

but for an entire team's offence to drop off a cliff in 2014...not sure i saw anyone predicting in december that this team would go on to set franchise season records for offensive futility

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The Canucks have finished the 13-14 season scoring a total of 196 goals for, which is the second worst number of GF ever, just narrowly edging the 98-99 squadron's 192 GF.

Henrik Sedin, who set a Canucks individual points record netting 112 four seasons ago, now bears the dubious distinction of scoring the lowest number of points ever for a team leader with 50. Previous worst is Ron Sedlbauer's 56 points leading the dismal 78-79 team.

Ryan Kesler, who topped the team with 25 goals, now breaks the record for the fewest goals scored to lead the team. The previous worst was in 73-74, when Bobby Schmautz & Dennis Ververgaert both banged in 26 [Schmautz managed his in 49 games]. Further, it's the only time in history that only one member of the team has hit 20 goals.

Pretty embarrassing numbers.

Historically, you can make a case that this was the worst season ever for the Canucks offensively. So, what went wrong?

Spoken like a true person born in 1991!

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Spoken like a true person born in 1991!

huh? i was actually watching games at the Pacific Coliseum the season the Canucks picked up Schmautz, whippersnapper. i've seen pretty much ever squad this team has iced since the mid-70s.

this was a horrible year for offense, arguably the worst i've ever seen, & the numbers back it up. we're in a low-scoring era now for sure, but being 28 out of 30 teams for GF is horrible.

further, injuries or not, the Sedins as recent Art Ross winners falling so far so fast has to be a historical anomaly, i can't think of any other Art Ross winners who put up the numbers of second & third liners after their Art Ross wins.

yeah, okay, injuries, Tortorella's system, locker room dramas, scoring down around the league, butterfly goalies, etc. - whatever the reasons, again, i came here to point out that this was arguably the worst offensive season in Canucks history, a point that i feel is really worth discussing, & shouldn't be ignored.

i rarely call for coaches to be fired, but in this case i really feel Torts has to go.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Also a terrible PP with no real shooting threats from the point. Just not many guys on this team that can shoot the puck hard, period. The D played like individuals for most of the season, with Edler and Garrison way under-performing. Tanev's solid defensively and can block shots, it's too bad he can't shoot the puck.
I don't know, Edler, Bieksa and Garrison have all scored 10+ goals in a season in the NHL.
Weber's got a nice shot as well. Hamhuis and Tanev are the two who really aren't shooters on the point.

That is what was really telling, our offence from our defence cratered, probably one of our most significant offensive contributions over the years.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
huh? i was actually watching games at the Pacific Coliseum the season the Canucks picked up Schmautz, whippersnapper. i've seen pretty much ever squad this team has iced since the mid-70s.

this was a horrible year for offense, arguably the worst i've ever seen, & the numbers back it up. we're in a low-scoring era now for sure, but being 28 out of 30 teams for GF is horrible.
Paul Reinhart years comes somewhat close. Despite missing a huge chunk of each of his two seasons - he was *SO GOOD*, he was able to literally carry the team into the post-season one year (and almost knock off the Flames that year).

Arguably one of the best D to ever wear a Canuck jersey. Such a player has a cascading (positive) effect on the rest of the roster.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
This season and the 1998-99 seasons were terribad, but both are in pretty defensive eras.

We had a three season stretch from 1988 to 1991 where we scored 251, 245 and 243 goals respectively, but those were during a high scoring era. We had the lowest GF total in the league in 1988-89... 2nd lowest in 1989-90... and 5th lowest in 1990-91.

There was one (1) 100 point scorer this year. In 1988-89 there were 9 (including Lemieux nearly lapping the field at 199)... in 1989-90 there were 13... and in 1990-91 there were 10. The Canucks' leading scorers during those seasons, respectively, were Skriko (66 pts.), Reinhart (57 pts) and Linden (70 pts).

Other teams had 50 goal and 100 pt. players galore... we never had a player reach either milestone until Bure hit both in 1992-93.

Sawchuk

Nov 15, 2009
Victoria, BC
What went wrong? Another year where we did not get a legit top line RW'er and the Sedins couldn't carry the load along with carrying Burrows. Injuries galore, but at least we were winning games until we lost Santorelli for the season and Henrik for that stretch at the same time. Without Henrik, this team is lost, I think that became pretty clear this season. As soon as those injuries happened too, the PK went straight into the toilet. All this moaning about the Sedins on the PK, but it turns out they seemed to be pretty good at it until the injuries piled up.

I have wondered alot just how big an impact losing Santorelli had.
Here are the numbers with and without him:

With:
24-17-8 record over 49 games for a .708 winning %
122 GF, so 2.49 GPG
119 GA, so 2.43 GAPG

Without:
12-19-2 record over 33 games for a .364 winning %
69 GF, so 2.09 GPG
97 GA, so 2.94 GAPG

So our winning percentage dropped almost by half we scored .4 GPG less and gave up .51 GAPG more without him, for a goal differential of -.91 than with him.

These numbers certainly also speak to how bad this team was in the final third of the season, but it is crazy to think that the Canucks were so much worse without him. I think that if nothing else, while he was playing, he took a lot of pressure off of the first line and ate up a lot of minutes. He was also third on the team in ppg behind the Sedins and Kesler.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
These numbers certainly also speak to how bad this team was in the final third of the season, but it is crazy to think that the Canucks were so much worse without him. I think that if nothing else, while he was playing, he took a lot of pressure off of the first line and ate up a lot of minutes. He was also third on the team in ppg behind the Sedins and Kesler.
He was more than this year's version of Hodgson (a center that you had to sheltered alot). He was able to hold his own defensively (without the puck & on the faceoff dot).

Rooting4TheNUCKS

Feb 22, 2014
Drammen, Norway
Stupid Torts forced his tough-guy system on a team without any players who would've fitted his system.
Which ultimately led to a lot of injuries on key players for a big part of the season.
Defensive focus rather than offensive.
Horrendous PP where it looks like its the first time we're playing 5 on 4 every time we're in PP..
Torts wasn't able to make the best out of what he had of players, I mean everyone's form has dropped this season except maybe Kassian, nah just look at The Sedins how awful their play has been.
Not to mention the entire Goaltender situation Torts created post Sochi.
It feels like everything points in Torts direction in my opinion, hi is our main problem the way that I see it.

member 105785

without the last game where the Sedins got mad and led a charge for a 5-1 victory, it would have been the lowest scoring season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad