12 years ago today...

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Prime ministers of several northern European nations participated in a ceremonial "laying of the first stone" at the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Spitsbergen, Norway. I remember it like it was yesterday... a truly significant moment in history. I figure this is a good time for all of us to share our memories of this monumental day.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember that day. That was the day after the Dallas Mavericks were screwed out of game 5 of that years NBA Finals. Dwyane Wade got every call in his direction, it was ridiculous. Good thing for the Mavericks though they got their revenge 5 years later against a much better Miami team.

Speaking of Dallas, contestant Giacomo from the Dallas suburb of Euless was eliminated from Hells Kitchen season 2 on that nights episode. I don't think I watched it though, there was some figure-skating thing on that night that involved some team from some weird ass place called 'Rally' or something. They ended up winning some giant silver spit bucket. Made a lot of good Canadian boys mad.

I don't even know if they exist anymore, last I heard some billionaire from yep, Dallas, ended up buying them and moved them to a more logical spot like Quebec or Houston. There's natural ice in Houston right? Also Houston and Dallas are really close to one another right? They are in the same state so they are practically right next door to each other yes?

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wow, that shiny ring just for a global seed vault?
In my whereabouts governed by a Nordic PM, the artificial home insemination is known as the "Moomin mug method".

mugs-moomin-love-mug-by-arabia-1_768x.jpeg

You collect seed in a cup as the temporary storage/transportation device.

A shiny commemoration ring is overdoing the celebration though, IMO.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Re: the seedy celebration, I can't not mention the happenstance at my job years earlier (before my time), when a co-worker somewhat slow in his update was handing out cigars, because he was going to be a father.

"When did the baby born then", asked someone cautiously amidst congratulations, because the matter hadn't come up previously.

"Last night we got it started!"

Guys bursted out of our cafeteria room holding laughter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad