GDT: 12/7: Boston Bruins vs. Injured Birds | 7pm ET | NHLN, NESN, 98.5 FM - II

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
two games in a row that we need a second thread.

at least I don't have to get up for work tomorrow after this one

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Bruins fans who have a problem with what Thorty did should take a walk. Probably the same people who had a problem with him not doing anything to Cooke during the game.

Just trying to appease the masses and not look like a "homer"

Please get out of here with that ****.

As someone who actually plays the sport, there is no place for that in this game. That was quite rediculous. I am huge Thornton fan, but he deserves 10 games.

ETOH

Apr 16, 2012
Orpik is alert/conscious at MGH.

Anyone heard about Loui?

OutspokenMinority*

that's the part blowing my mind. How can it be clean if he never played the puck. even if it was not a head shot it would have been a dirty hit on an illegal target. There is no way that is clean. Its not clean because you not allowed to hit him #1 and #2 its not clean because he hits him in the head.

because the "perfect timing" on a hit to a player receiving the puck is one instant after he receives it. if the puck bounces over his stick,or if he turns the wrong way (as in this case) it's unreasonable to expect a player to avoid the contact.

the league will probably still throw down a fine on this play just to keep up appearances, but by the letter of the law, this could be considered a "clean hit".

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

As someone who actually plays the sport, there is no place for that in this game. That was quite rediculous. I am huge Thornton fan, but he deserves 10 games.

disagree sorry. after seeing what happed to savard there is 100% a place in the game for what Thornton did.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Anyone with a recap of the actual hockey game from the first couple periods? I know about the Eriksson/Thornton stuff.

I did miss whatever Neal did though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this is going to get lost in the shuffle, but I really hope when the league looks at the Thornton/Orpik incident they'll catch this, but it looks to me like Orpik could have been knocked out by his own teammate's skate. There's one angle (from in front of Orpik) that shows a pens player jumping in to try and protect Orpik and inadvertently kicking him right in the forehead, right after the 2nd Thornton punch. It's tough to tell and Orpik probably won't remember so we might never know for sure, but I think there's a good chance that it was a skate to the head that actually knocked Orpik out.

member 96824

Re: Loui hit.

Regardless of how you feel headshot or no headshot...That's an awful pass by the D. You're asking for your winger to get jacked there.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Penguins have 7 PP tonight.

Jack Edwards bringing up Orpik playing at BC trying to make a local connection was cringeworthy.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
because the "perfect timing" on a hit to a player receiving the puck is one instant after he receives it. if the puck bounces over his stick,or if he turns the wrong way (as in this case) it's unreasonable to expect a player to avoid the contact.

the league will probably still throw down a fine on this play just to keep up appearances, but by the letter of the law, this could be considered a "clean hit".

its not unreasonable its a rule period.

and then there is the fact it was a hit to the head.

illegal on both counts sorry.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

For what? Keeping his gloves on and not landing any clean punches in a scrum. When's the last time someone got suspended for that? That **** happens a lot and doesn't even get penalized. In this case Orpik happened to freakishly get KOd. Not even close to worthy of 10 games. That's silly.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Unfortunate incidents aside. This team looks like the Harlem Globetrotters 1 game, and they spend the next 2 looking like the local team. I'm really bored of this system.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

It's very rare that I agree with stuff Mike, Scotto and Wally post.

I like it.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
Ugh.. just posted a nice long post only to have it not appear due to a page. 2.

I don't condone the result of what Thornton did, but I condone the act. Orpik has consistently been one of the dirtiest players on that team for a number of years. You play with fire at some point you are gonna get burnt.

Neal's act was more likely to cause a serious injury.

Gotta bury the Pens this period, they get away with far too much.

Great game so far for Seidenmoose, hope Loui is ok. Go B's!

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Update on Orpik from a ****** Pittsburgh feed. He's conscious at MSGH. At least he's ok, but he's still a piece of ****.

ETOH

Apr 16, 2012
this is going to get lost in the shuffle, but I really hope when the league looks at the Thornton/Orpik incident they'll catch this, but it looks to me like Orpik could have been knocked out by his own teammate's skate. There's one angle (from in front of Orpik) that shows a pens player jumping in to try and protect Orpik and inadvertently kicking him right in the forehead, right after the 2nd Thornton punch. It's tough to tell and Orpik probably won't remember so we might never know for sure, but I think there's a good chance that it was a skate to the head that actually knocked Orpik out.

Watching the replay, it looked like his head hit both the knee and the skate of his own teammate. Didn't look the Sean got much on any of those punches and he had his gloves on.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
For what? Keeping his gloves on and not landing any clean punches in a scrum. When's the last time someone got suspended for that? That **** happens a lot and doesn't even get penalized. In this case Orpik happened to freakishly get KOd. Not even close to worthy of 10 games. That's silly.

he tackled him to the ground and sucker-punched him twice.

OutspokenMinority*

Fact: attempting to make an unsafe activity completely safe through regulation is doomed to fail and likely to destroy the product in the process.

unfortunate but true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad