Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
2dv4r9t.jpg

NHL.com Preview
ST. PAUL -- The Minnesota Wild will try to continue its franchise best winning streak when it returns to Xcel Energy Center on Thursday to host the New York Islanders.

Minnesota hopes to avenge a 6-3 loss to the Islanders at Barclays Center back in October, one of just two games this season in which the Wild has allowed more than four goals in a game. It's the only game Minnesota has lost by more than one goal.

Much has changed since that contest, however.

The Wild was playing the second half of back-to-back games that night, its first set of consecutive games this season. The loss kept Minnesota winless through its first three road games and dropped the Wild to 3-2-1 on the season.

The Islanders have been inconsistent this season and are currently hovering at .500 with a record of 14-14-6. But their game has been on the upswing of late, having won each of their past three games. Included in that stretch is a 4-3 victory over the Washington Capitals on Tuesday night.

"They're playing good now," said Wild coach Bruce Boudreau. "They're feeling it and they'll probably continue to get better. But we have to play the way we're capable of playing. If we do that, and play with structure, and get our skating legs, we're usually a hard team to beat."

If history is any indication, expect a close game on Thursday: Seven of the 10 meetings between the teams in St. Paul have been decided by one goal. Minnesota is 5-1-1 in those games, however.

New York is led offensively by John Tavares, who has 24 points in 34 games this season. His 10 goals are second most after Edina native Anders Lee, who has a team-leading 13 goals.

The Wild are 11-9-0-1 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time vs. the Islanders

Let's hope the boys aren't looking forward to that New Year's Eve clash with Columbus. The Islanders are the only team to beat the Wild by more than one goal this season; revenge is on the cards!

LGW! :yo:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I second that! Hope they're focused on this game so that there can be an epic clash on Saturday. If they take their eye off the ball (well, puck) tonight, it'll make it a moot point.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
incoming Cal Clutterbuck 2-goal night.

Nino will get booed

Wild play like crap for 2 periods, come back in the 3rd, but eventually the win streak ends.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
incoming Cal Clutterbuck 2-goal night.

Nino will get booed

Wild play like crap for 2 periods, come back in the 3rd, but eventually the win streak ends.

I'm not sure why the fans at the X would do that...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was ready to boo Nino the way he was giving the puck to the oppo the past couple of games.

At home? Check

Revenge game? Check

All healthy? Check

We've got this. Just go out and DO IT!

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
It seems weird to me how much Islander fans hate Nino. He was never more than a peripheral piece on their team and it was a long time ago. It would be like us hating Clayton Stoner.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
More like Havlat, who was a PITA through his agent.

Nino was perceived as a spoiled brat, whereas I'm betting the truth was something less. Snow et al mismanaged him, while Nino and his agent squawked about it.

Stoner was well liked...his breakaway goal was the stuff of legends.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
It seems weird to me how much Islander fans hate Nino. He was never more than a peripheral piece on their team and it was a long time ago. It would be like us hating Clayton Stoner.

I was pretty unhappy with Stoner for a number of reasons, though nothing big enough to boo the dude over. But once he signed that contract with the Ducks he became A-OK in my book.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Nino was the 5OA pick and was a bust on the Isles. Didn't figure out how to play until he got to the Wild. That's kind of a reason to be upset.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Nino was the 5OA pick and was a bust on the Isles. Didn't figure out how to play until he got to the Wild. That's kind of a reason to be upset.

Hard to learn how to play when you're a 19 year old getting 10 minutes a night on the 4th line. And then when you put up some great point totals in the AHL during the lockout your team doesn't even invite you to camp.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

A 19 yo can't be a bust.

Nino was mismanaged by NYI. Snow, and his bobos in the local press, made Nino the scapegoat. Have we even had a hint of Nino being a problem here in MN? I've never heard anything but good things, even when Yeo was benching him for less than clear reasons while playing the hell out of Heatley and Vanek.

Hugart

Dec 23, 2016
Setting alarm to 3am. Want to catch this game.
I don't understand. Are you going to sleep tonight? Finland playing Sweden 00:30 Soumi time and will end just in time for this game. So no sleep for you Mister. And no sleep for me.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I don't understand. Are you going to sleep tonight? Finland playing Sweden 00:30 Soumi time and will end just in time for this game. So no sleep for you Mister. And no sleep for me.

Think I prefer to watch nightmares about Sundin. And if I'm gonna wake up at 3am all sweaty and shaking like a lunatic, may actually tune in for the Wild game.

That of course, if I didn't already dig my eyeballs out..

:naughty:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Sherwood Sundin curve was the best EVER.

What a player. Imagine a taller, stronger, faster Koivu.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
The Sherwood Sundin curve was the best EVER.

What a player. Imagine a taller, stronger, faster Koivu.

Yes he was great. And Sundin's favorite breakfast was Finnish national team with scrambled eggs and crushed souls!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Always thought he was underappreciated as a Leaf. Two Swedes, Sundin and Salming, might have been the greatest Leafs of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad