GDT: 12/23/14 - 7:30PM EDT -Pittsburgh VS Tampa Bay

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How if Flip always leading the team in ToI (for forwards)? 18:29 tonight (Stamkos first with 18:39, but still). Meanwhile, the second line had a full 2 minutes less at least, despite the fact that all four goals scored were by them.

Cooper needs to put them on ice more. And having Stamkos out there with the EN was a ****ing insult.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
First of all: What a game by Johnson and Kucherov! Unreal!

Second of all: What a terrible game by Stamkos and Hedman! Unreal!

Third of all: Yay, 2 points!

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
First of all: What a game by Johnson and Kucherov! Unreal!

Second of all: What a terrible game by Stamkos and Hedman! Unreal!

Third of all: Yay, 2 points!

This.

The TKO line wad the best offensive line last night and the Cally-Fil-Killorn line was the 2nd best line, at least defensively (and with Hedman playing bad it was needed) and they a great job shuting down the Crosby-line. Cally did stand out on that line and made it better than it's been all season, just wish they could have gotten that goal but oh well, it will hopefully come with time.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
This.

The TKO line wad the best offensive line last night and the Cally-Fil-Killorn line was the 2nd best line, at least defensively (and with Hedman playing bad it was needed) and they a great job shuting down the Crosby-line. Cally did stand out on that line and made it better than it's been all season, just wish they could have gotten that goal but oh well, it will hopefully come with time.

Yeah its weird. Stamkos and Drouin looked pretty dangerous the last two games and as soon as Connolly is put on that line it becomes garbage.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
The new first PP unit was just as brutally bad as we suspected, the 2nd unit was pretty good and I think with some practice they can be the dominant factor we need. They didn't play much though but they were the first unit out on the ice (you know this because the 1st unit was the one that messed up when Kuni came out of the box and could score on a breakaway...or rather it was Stamkos and Hedman that made a bad play there) so hopefully they give the 2nd unit more than 30sec on the PP from now on.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
The new first PP unit was just as brutally bad as we suspected, the 2nd unit was pretty good and I think with some practice they can be the dominant factor we need. They didn't play much though but they were the first unit out on the ice (you know this because the 1st unit was the one that messed up when Kuni came out of the box and could score on a breakaway...or rather it was Stamkos and Hedman that made a bad play there) so hopefully they give the 2nd unit more than 30sec on the PP from now on.

Somethings got to change with our power play. Either Stamkos and Hedman will get back into form, or the second line will get more time.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This first line needs to be fixed and soon. I feel like we haven't even seen Stamkos yet this season. :help:
And can we please pick up another D-man. :nod:

We are running out of forwards to put up there. Let's see we had Palat, Johnson, Callahan, Flip, Killorn, and Connolly up there. Maybe it's not these guys who most of them are actually playing well or above their expectations, maybe it's Mr. Stamkos.

Yeah its weird. Stamkos and Drouin looked pretty dangerous the last two games and as soon as Connolly is put on that line it becomes garbage.

The Stamkos line might have been up and down in scoring prior to this game, but now it has become a defense liability since you have 3 one-way forwards on that line who really are not great playing defense. Well Drouin is still new, and needs to develop. Right now they are sitting ducks on that top line.

Oh and that top PP unit. Wow was that brutal. Not only could they not set up, they give up a goal.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
As a unit the Bolts are still in a bit of a funk. I will take the win and hopefully it is a step forward.
Stammer, Heds and Cally are our leaders and they need to lead now. We won in spite of Stammer and Hedman playing poorly and that in itself is a good sign.
Crosby hasn't been doing that well lately either but the Pens are good enough to win without him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How if Flip always leading the team in ToI (for forwards)? 18:29 tonight (Stamkos first with 18:39, but still). Meanwhile, the second line had a full 2 minutes less at least, despite the fact that all four goals scored were by them.

Cooper needs to put them on ice more. And having Stamkos out there with the EN was a ****ing insult.

I get Flip having a lot of icetime last night. He was out there against one or the other of Pittsburgh's top lines, so he had to be out there a lot. But we're definitely at the point now where Stamkos simply isn't our best option for icetime anymore, regardless of the situation.

I'm still kind of blown away by how bad he was last night. I thought Connolly had a pretty strong game, honestly. Drouin was playing a little too safe for my liking, but he was still tenacious in puck battles. Stamkos... I don't know. I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed to see the puck hit his stick because I knew that's where the play would die.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I get Flip having a lot of icetime last night. He was out there against one or the other of Pittsburgh's top lines, so he had to be out there a lot. But we're definitely at the point now where Stamkos simply isn't our best option for icetime anymore, regardless of the situation.

I'm still kind of blown away by how bad he was last night. I thought Connolly had a pretty strong game, honestly. Drouin was playing a little too safe for my liking, but he was still tenacious in puck battles. Stamkos... I don't know. I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed to see the puck hit his stick because I knew that's where the play would die.

Kucherov to Stamkos annnnnnnnnnnnnnd he shoots it wide!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
TJ's line was out against Malkin's line. Filp's line was out against Crosby's line. Drouin/Stammer/Connolly was out there against third/fourth lines and looked dangerous in first two periods. The third period was garbage time for the whole team so whatever. But Stammer's line had SEVERAL scoring opportunities.

If Drouin pots Connolly's tape to tape pass. If Stammer gets it a bit higher on his between the legs try. If Stammer sinks that free throw on his breakout that went slightly wide...sometimes the puck don't drop - whatever. Stammer's line did some really good things tonight. Sometimes the puck don't drop...but they were dangerous and fun to watch tonight.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
At this point Stamkos getting more even strength ice time is purely based on his name. I'm a big Cooper apologist but if there's one thing I can't defend is the TKO line without the highest minutes 5v5. They deserved first line minutes, period.

Edit: I don't mean Stamkos is ****, points are points and the man is productive, I'm not even annoyed with him tbh. It's just the TKO line is arguably one of the most dominant line not only in Tampa but in the whole game too. More TKO ice time = more chance to win, as simple as that.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
TJ's line was out against Malkin's line. Filp's line was out against Crosby's line. Drouin/Stammer/Connolly was out there against third/fourth lines and looked dangerous in first two periods. The third period was garbage time for the whole team so whatever. But Stammer's line had SEVERAL scoring opportunities.

If Drouin pots Connolly's tape to tape pass. If Stammer gets it a bit higher on his between the legs try. If Stammer sinks that free throw on his breakout that went slightly wide...sometimes the puck don't drop - whatever. Stammer's line did some really good things tonight. Sometimes the puck don't drop...but they were dangerous and fun to watch tonight.

That sounds like the way you describe a third line, not a top line. "Hey, they had some chances!"

I don't think Stamkos had *that* bad of a game last night, honestly. Made some bad plays and the failure of the PP just kind of... accentuates the frustration. It's just... he's been surpassed by Tyler Johnson. That's awesome in the fact that TJ just continues to elevate his game and I'm really happy for the success he's found, but it sucks in the way that Stamkos is supposed to be our best player, and right now I don't know if I would put him in the top 5 Lightning players on the season.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah Connolly was not the problem, he was more than fine. Really starting to see the issue with Stamkos now. You could put Crosby on his line and he would play the same way.

Also, the TKO line is great, but We can't rely on just one scoring line, especially against teams with bigger and better D's, We have to get more lines consistent or we are going to be in trouble again. One game against an exhausted Pittsburgh team that is also injury depleted is not enough to convince me we have it all figured out.

I said we would win last night, if we did not , then was about to start panicking. We still gave up 3 goals, not good enough, sorry.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Yeah Connolly was not the problem, he was more than fine. Really starting to see the issue with Stamkos now. You could put Crosby on his line and he would play the same way.

Also, the TKO line is great, but We can't rely on just one scoring line, especially against teams with bigger and better D's, We have to get more lines consistent or we are going to be in trouble again. One game against an exhausted Pittsburgh team that is also injury depleted is not enough to convince me we have it all figured out.

I said we would win last night, if we did not , then was about to start panicking. We still gave up 3 goals, not good enough, sorry.

3 goals in garbage time is pretty meh.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
That sounds like the way you describe a third line, not a top line. "Hey, they had some chances!"

I don't think Stamkos had *that* bad of a game last night, honestly. Made some bad plays and the failure of the PP just kind of... accentuates the frustration. It's just... he's been surpassed by Tyler Johnson. That's awesome in the fact that TJ just continues to elevate his game and I'm really happy for the success he's found, but it sucks in the way that Stamkos is supposed to be our best player, and right now I don't know if I would put him in the top 5 Lightning players on the season.

What bad plays did Stammer make on ES. Just cause they didn't go in this game ... and I remind everyone he has 19 goals.

Palat > Drouin ... right now.
Kucherov > Connolly.

I don't want to take away from TJ he is awesome. But put TJ between Drouin and Connolly ... and lets see what he does with it. Your argument is unfair and unfounded. Only problem I see is Stammer carrying the puck through neutral zone on the PP or standing still on the corner of the off blue line or on the right dot instead of the left dot on the PP. Those are all scheme based stuff. At ES ... he is carrying Drouin/Connolly. Johnson doesn't have to do that.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What bad plays did Stammer make on ES. Just cause they didn't go in this game ... and I remind everyone he has 19 goals.

Palat > Drouin ... right now.
Kucherov > Connolly.

I don't want to take away from TJ he is awesome. But put TJ between Drouin and Connolly ... and lets see what he does with it. Your argument is unfair and unfounded. Only problem I see is Stammer carrying the puck through neutral zone on the PP or standing still on the corner of the off blue line or on the right dot instead of the left dot on the PP. Those are all scheme based stuff. At ES ... he is carrying Drouin/Connolly. Johnson doesn't have to do that.

Said it in another thread, and I'll repeat it here. I don't care if Stamkos is playing with Brown and Morrow. He's paid to produce points. He's not. He doesn't get to use the ****** linemate argument (especially since the coaching staff has bent over backwards to try and find a combo that works). Stamkos has had pretty much the entire roster on his wings at some point to try and find something that works. He gets the best zone starts. He gets the most ice time.

And probably most importantly - he's failing the eye test spectacularly.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Said it in another thread, and I'll repeat it here. I don't care if Stamkos is playing with Brown and Morrow. He's paid to produce points. He's not. He doesn't get to use the ****** linemate argument (especially since the coaching staff has bent over backwards to try and find a combo that works). Stamkos has had pretty much the entire roster on his wings at some point to try and find something that works. He gets the best zone starts. He gets the most ice time.

You lead the pitchforks crowd with a hint of desperation. But whatever man...you are right I guess.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

If Coop breaks up TKO to get Stamkos going will be beyond pissed. You have a legit scoring line that is dangerous. Might have to let the Stamkos line coast the rest of the season. But two of those guys have not worked either, only player not to try is Kuch.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You lead the pitchforks crowd with a hint of desperation. But whatever man...you are right I guess.

lol dude at least he's providing a sensical argument, you're the one grasping at straws over blind faith.

"lets sign him to league max just because" without any thought of repercussions, I'm sure if you were to do it again you'd offer Lecavalier the same contract right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad