Post-Game Talk: 12/21/17 | Canucks 4 @ Sharks 5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We get it. The Canucks are bad and it's all Jim Benning's fault. Here are your genius points.

My point in relation to the GDT was there were many fans last year complaining about how boring the Canucks were and how they'd rather lose 5-4, than 2-1. They complained that Miller was holding back Markstrom. Well, Benning clearly listened. But now fans are complaining about defensive structure and goaltending. LOL.

And people wonder why Benning didn't trade Miller at the deadline last year, and why they tried to re-sign him.

Great post. I still can't 'like' posts due to my infractions. :(

Reactions: krutovsdonut

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
We get it. The Canucks are bad and it's all Jim Benning's fault. Here are your genius points.

My point in relation to the GDT was there were many fans last year complaining about how boring the Canucks were and how they'd rather lose 5-4, than 2-1. They complained that Miller was holding back Markstrom. Well, Benning clearly listened. But now fans are complaining about defensive structure and goaltending. LOL.

Most people would still rather lose 5-4 than 2-1. Marveling at how terrible the Canucks' defensive game is doesn't mean people would prefer to watch the team grind out low scoring losses.

As for goaltending, maybe Benning should've listened to the fans earlier. He might've actually seen Markstrom handle a bigger workload before handing him a $3.7M contract a season after he cleared waivers. But that's not in his nature, he loves buying high and has no patience.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
And people wonder why Benning didn't trade Miller at the deadline last year, and why they tried to re-sign him.

Great post. I still can't 'like' posts due to my infractions. :(

Yeah, the Canucks never allowed a lot of goals with Miller on the team. Here's how they ranked in GA/G in the last 3 years:

15-16: 8th worst
16-17: 6th worst
17-18: 7th worst

So despite having to play behind guys like Pouliot and Del Zotto, Markstrom and Nilsson still have the team in the same spot as Miller and Markstrom did.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Most people would still rather lose 5-4 than 2-1. Marveling at how terrible the Canucks' defensive game is doesn't mean people would prefer to watch the team grind out low scoring losses.

As for goaltending, maybe Benning should've listened to the fans earlier. He might've actually seen Markstrom handle a bigger workload before handing him a $3.7M contract a season after he cleared waivers. But that's not in his nature, he loves buying high and has no patience.
You're over-extending yourself dude. Markstrom isn't great (certainly not better than Miller as fans opined for 3 years) but his contract comparables (+/-.5 mil, non-entry level contracts) are:

Cam Talbot
Scott Darling
Steve Mason
Petr Mrazek
Andrei Vasilevski
James Reimer
Thomas Greiss
Cam Ward

He's still outperforming most of those goalies, behind a lacklustre defensive group. He's not a great goalie, but his contract is fine.

Reactions: Nomobo

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, the Canucks never allowed a lot of goals with Miller on the team. Here's how they ranked in GA/G in the last 3 years:

15-16: 8th worst
16-17: 6th worst
17-18: 7th worst

So despite having to play behind guys like Pouliot and Del Zotto, Markstrom and Nilsson still have the team in the same spot as Miller and Markstrom did.

Can't wait for this post to be conveniently ignored.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The goaltending is fine and the canucks are doing exactly what they should have done a couple years ago when they could have traded Miller for assets and evaluated what they had in their younger goalies.

Instead they let Miller walk for nothing and are just now evaluating their younger goalies. Two years later. After heading out some contracts.

Derpy derp.

If Miller were marginally better it would still have been asinine to retain him. I can't believe some of you are serious. What does this team need with a 37 year old goalie for Christ sake.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sue from Lethbridge just won $1 million on a grumpy cat scratch and win… and some people say lotteries are just another tax on the poor!

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Can't wait for this post to be conveniently ignored.
Perhaps it's ignored because it's a poor, misleading post. But thanks as always for your very much appreciated arbitration of discussions.

Openfloor's post hits all the statistic fallacies, as per usual. Conflating Miller with the team's overall GA, as if Markstrom's play somehow indicates something about Miller. Choosing total GA over GA/G, because the latter shows a more precipitous decline in the team's defensive play. Representing the 3 seasons as if they are equivalent sample sizes, when they are very much not. I could go on, but posts like that aren't worth much more of my time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You're over-extending yourself dude. Markstrom isn't great (certainly not better than Miller as fans opined for 3 years) but his contract comparables (+/-.5 mil, non-entry level contracts) are:

Cam Talbot
Scott Darling
Steve Mason
Petr Mrazek
Andrei Vasilevski
James Reimer
Thomas Greiss
Cam Ward

He's still outperforming most of those goalies, behind a lacklustre defensive group. He's not a great goalie, but his contract is fine.
NHL.starters get a certain amount. Like QBs in the NFL. Mccown, Glennon, etc. Get $15 million. Elite guys get $23 - $27. Just the rate going around.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Perhaps it's ignored because it's a poor, misleading post. But thanks as always for your very much appreciated arbitration of discussions.

Openfloor's post hits all the statistic fallacies, as per usual. Conflating Miller with the team's overall GA, as if Markstrom's play somehow indicates something about Miller. Choosing total GA over GA/G, because the latter shows a more precipitous decline in the team's defensive play. Representing the 3 seasons as if they are equivalent sample sizes, when they are very much not. I could go on, but posts like that aren't worth much more of my time.

Wait, what?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Markstrom played 69games and missed 35due to injury the last 2 seasons. What was he suppose to do? And he cleared waivers in 2014

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Markstrom played 69games and missed 35due to injury the last 2 seasons. What was he suppose to do? And he cleared waivers in 2014

He signed his extension at the end of the 15-16 season, after only 1 season as a backup in a Canuck jersey. He cleared waivers the prior season in 14-15.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

In 2016-17 and 2015-16 Miller either had the same or a worse GAA than Markstrom, so if anything, Markstrom's numbers helped bring the Team GA over the season (the stat he posted) up.

Also they are equal sample size, since each are the whole season aka 82 games. GA/G and GA are the same

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
NHL.starters get a certain amount. Like QBs in the NFL. Mccown, Glennon, etc. Get $15 million. Elite guys get $23 - $27. Just the rate going around.
What does that have to do with Markstrom? At his best he was a decent backup before getting his big contract.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
In 2016-17 and 2015-16 Miller either had the same or a worse GAA than Markstrom, so if anything, Markstrom's numbers helped bring the Team GA over the season (the stat he posted) up.

Also they are equal sample size, since each are the whole season aka 82 games. GA/G and GA are the same

It's all a red herring.

Replace Markstrom with prime Dominik Hasek and we are still trash. Having a 37 year old Miller on the team would be absolutely useless just as it was last season and the season before.

We needed to find out what we had in Markstrom and that is what we are doing.

And he's fine, by the way. A perfectly cromulent goalie. Whether or not he's better than Ryan Miller, who the f*** cares.

Reactions: sting101

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Openfloor's post hits all the statistic fallacies, as per usual. Conflating Miller with the team's overall GA, as if Markstrom's play somehow indicates something about Miller.

Markstrom had a better GAA than Miller in both 15-16 and 16-17. His numbers make Miller look better in this instance.

Choosing total GA over GA/G, because the latter shows a more precipitous decline in the team's defensive play. Representing the 3 seasons as if they are equivalent sample sizes, when they are very much not. I could go on, but posts like that aren't worth much more of my time.

GA/G changes every year depending on how rules are enforced, number of PPs, etc. Ranking is a far more accurate way of determining relative performance in different seasons.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Markstrom had a better GAA than Miller in both 15-16 and 16-17. His numbers make Miller look better in this instance.
Now you're just posting falsehoods? No, Markstrom didn't have a better GAA than Miller in 15-16. Try again.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
After 36 games the Canucks are 2 points ahead of where they were last season. They've scored 9 more goals this season, but given up 8 more.

Reactions: dwarf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad