GDT: 12/16/14 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
No, Ben Scrivens save % might look like crap this year but he's doing an admirable job considering the team in front of him, these are his save %'s the last few games:

Oilers went 1-3-1.

It's hard to judge a goalie when the teams playing as poorly as edmonton is infront of Scrivens. I think that if Scrivens played for us of like Anaheim, he would be considered a top 15 goalie. But I also like Scrivens for some reason. No idea why I do haha.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I remember seeing something a while back where Vasi was at some Russian event and every other player was wearing Russian gear and he had Lightning gear on. I couldn't find it though.

Pretty excited to see this kid over the next few years. He has crazy eyes which is a big indication of good goaltending :C

That is really cool. It is so awesome that Vasi got a win on his first start. I know this means the world to him. It means the world to us at least. I will always remember him having his Lightning colored helmet from a few years back. The kids been wanting to be here for a long time, and I get the feeling that he will be here for a long time as well. Now I just hope Gudlevskis can start gaining some consistency, cause I love both these goalies haha.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Also, it sounds like Sustr is playing significantly better these last few weeks. I listen to the games on the radio, so I can't see him during the game, but I hear his name a lot less for being out of place or making mistakes. It sounds like the kid is starting to see some of his potential?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's rare for a team to have that type of stability year over year, but honestly, that's how I see it too. A new backup goaltender is pretty obvious, but I don't expect much turnover beyond that - most of the roster improvements will come from the development of young players rather than bringing new guys in.

Also - how ****ing weird is seeing 88 on a goaltender? It's kind of a weird number to start, but on a goaltender? Very odd.

I left the goalies out because I'm really not sure what's best there. Obviously upgrading from Nabokov is a given but I don't want to stifle Vasilevskiy by having him as the backup. Gudlevskis would also be best served starting more then being a backup. If we were to keep them both down then we lose Wilcox. Best scenerio I believe is Gudlevskis as the backup so Vasilevskiy can carry the Crunch one more year with Wilcox as his backup if he's willing. Also think we need to play Bishop less, he's an injury risk and we need to see what we got with the kids.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also, it sounds like Sustr is playing significantly better these last few weeks. I listen to the games on the radio, so I can't see him during the game, but I hear his name a lot less for being out of place or making mistakes. It sounds like the kid is starting to see some of his potential?

He's simplified a bit. Pinches are a lot smarter, using his reach pretty well, and making simple passes on the breakout instead of what he was doing. Much better.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I see what you did there. ;) I think our lines are starting to come together. I'm just afraid Coop is not going to leave Drouin on the top line when Palat gets back. He took him out of the game and put Killorn on the top line for the last couple of shifts. ugh. Plus, I think Killorn is better on the 3rd line getting less ice time.

Also, when Palat gets back can we please go back to the top PP unit of Hedman - Stamkos - Palat - Flip- Callahan. Not asking for much it was only a proven successful PP. :shakehead

personally rather have drouin on first power play and flip on second put johnny on the first another shooter or even connolly over having flip pass to much on it:)

do think need flip or jodru on first power play for passing puck carrying when drouin is ready though but do not care for palat on power plays much love him as key guy on pk rather have him focus on that myself:)

How far into the future is your lineup? Why is Johnson on the 3rd line and Filpulla the 2nd? I get trading Carle but why do we need to bring in another stud defender? Sustr has been improving every game, no reason to dump a big contact just to add another, plus rather have Koekkoek get a chance before bringing in someone from the outside. I'd also look to move Filpulla if he's just going to be a 3C as Vladdy can do that on a better contract. Next seasons lineup.

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filpulla - Connolly
Paquette - Boyle - Brown
Namestnikov

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Sustr
Carle - Gudas
Barberio

If we trade Killorn then Erne in his spot. If we trade Filpulla then Namestnikov. If we trade Carle then Koekkoek.

hoser is awake really this is next year my friend dont see flipper getting traded vladdy deserves a spot all indications is erne is ready to play a paquette style of roll worst case scenario right now

really you ask why is tyjo on third and flipper on second? Have you forgotten our best line last year? Our hardest to deal with most complete DREAM grind line of palahan and flip? DOH

I want cups and our defense is FOR SURE Missing a link. We can ignore it but till is ADDRESSED unless we get a TON OF LUCK we aint winning it all. Yes we can but our defense needs something better that is obvious to probably a majority of us as fans. Slater is not even close to ready he is not lighting up the ahl until he does he is nothing more for us than a 6-7-8 rookie guy sure he will get there someday imho but we need a legit STUD another 2 guy who does it all or who can be upgrade on everyone but strawman and hedmonster

We have the assets to take this down. We should make a BIG move while we can the kids are coming along well the scoring is generally there.

Yet adding another legit number 2 defender? Difference between us being equal to others on paper to having a little better shot at being a little better than the rest:)

Not even sure who is going to be out there but have faith in Stevie he knows the limitations he has multiple cup runs and wins. He knows imho what needs to be addressed just need some luck and an idiot gm or team:)

I left the goalies out because I'm really not sure what's best there. Obviously upgrading from Nabokov is a given but I don't want to stifle Vasilevskiy by having him as the backup. Gudlevskis would also be best served starting more then being a backup. If we were to keep them both down then we lose Wilcox. Best scenerio I believe is Gudlevskis as the backup so Vasilevskiy can carry the Crunch one more year with Wilcox as his backup if he's willing. Also think we need to play Bishop less, he's an injury risk and we need to see what we got with the kids.

ummm wilcox is not true but even if lose I think we will get some compensation and personally wouldnt blame the kid if he wants to target another franchise myself cause this is gonna be a deep run o one so will have shots easier elsewhere.

Wilcox is also a junior I wouldnt be surprised if he signs a one year deal with us somehow and plays one more year in college after this one just saying doesnt mean though if he does that he will stay with us the year after though!!

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Not to be a Debbie Downer but while Vassy was solid tonight, I really didn't see too many good scoring chances or amazing saves.

This haha, and I'm like the biggest Vasi homer.

He made good saves and was really solid but the scoring chances were not very dangerous.
I'm sure we will see even better vasi soon ;)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This haha, and I'm like the biggest Vasi homer.

He made good saves and was really solid but the scoring chances were not very dangerous.
I'm sure we will see even better vasi soon ;)

disagree he faced some legit crazy stuff at times and made look easy with his athleticism I was seriously impressed he was always calm cool collected ready ahead of the other team most of the time yet they had some scary times against him for sure where we just did bad jobs defensively or you had their top line out there which is always scary.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
personally rather have drouin on first power play and flip on second put johnny on the first another shooter or even connolly over having flip pass to much on it:)

do think need flip or jodru on first power play for passing puck carrying when drouin is ready though but do not care for palat on power plays much love him as key guy on pk rather have him focus on that myself:)

hoser is awake really this is next year my friend dont see flipper getting traded vladdy deserves a spot all indications is erne is ready to play a paquette style of roll worst case scenario right now

really you ask why is tyjo on third and flipper on second? Have you forgotten our best line last year? Our hardest to deal with most complete DREAM grind line of palahan and flip? DOH

I want cups and our defense is FOR SURE Missing a link. We can ignore it but till is ADDRESSED unless we get a TON OF LUCK we aint winning it all. Yes we can but our defense needs something better that is obvious to probably a majority of us as fans. Slater is not even close to ready he is not lighting up the ahl until he does he is nothing more for us than a 6-7-8 rookie guy sure he will get there someday imho but we need a legit STUD another 2 guy who does it all or who can be upgrade on everyone but strawman and hedmonster

We have the assets to take this down. We should make a BIG move while we can the kids are coming along well the scoring is generally there.

Yet adding another legit number 2 defender? Difference between us being equal to others on paper to having a little better shot at being a little better than the rest:)

Not even sure who is going to be out there but have faith in Stevie he knows the limitations he has multiple cup runs and wins. He knows imho what needs to be addressed just need some luck and an idiot gm or team:)

ummm wilcox is not true but even if lose I think we will get some compensation and personally wouldnt blame the kid if he wants to target another franchise myself cause this is gonna be a deep run o one so will have shots easier elsewhere.

Wilcox is also a junior I wouldnt be surprised if he signs a one year deal with us somehow and plays one more year in college after this one just saying doesnt mean though if he does that he will stay with us the year after though!!

So the line that was our best last year but hasn't played at all this year is going to go back to being good again next year? Filpulla has dropped off and I'd rather have Palat and Callahan playing with better linemates.

How is the D a missing link? We are not bleeding goals or getting massively out shot. How do you even expect to get another #2 with only moving Carle and Killorn? You say Slater is a ways away but you want Erne in the lineup next year? You Have Erne playing on the 4th line too, how does that help his development? If we managed to move Carle, having Slater play 12 minutes on the bottom pair isn't a huge liability. Sure he's not lighting up the A but all reports are saying how good his play has been, points aren't everything.

We acquired Garrison and Stralman to fill our top 4 void, I really don't see us going after somebody else. Sustr is our weak link in the top 4 but has been pretty impressive lately and improving every game, hasn't been so poor that we should look to replace him.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
What thread is this? With all the next year lineup stuff...love the discussion. Thought I was reading the GDT...

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
How far into the future is your lineup? Why is Johnson on the 3rd line and Filpulla the 2nd? I get trading Carle but why do we need to bring in another stud defender? Sustr has been improving every game, no reason to dump a big contact just to add another, plus rather have Koekkoek get a chance before bringing in someone from the outside. I'd also look to move Filpulla if he's just going to be a 3C as Vladdy can do that on a better contract. Next seasons lineup.

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filpulla - Connolly
Paquette - Boyle - Brown
Namestnikov

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Sustr
Carle - Gudas
Barberio

If we trade Killorn then Erne in his spot. If we trade Filpulla then Namestnikov. If we trade Carle then Koekkoek.

I agree with this assessment. Except until we move Filp - Vladdy in AHL. Maybe Marchessault or somebody done with their development as HS. Also for he sake of discussion:

Drouin/Stammer/Callahan > Drouin/Stammer/Kucherov
Palat/Johnson/Kucherov > Palat/Filp/Callahan

Unless we move a Center - Vladdy will be AHL Center. Even next year in AHL - Peca/Vladdy/Erne first line ... /drool.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I remember seeing something a while back where Vasi was at some Russian event and every other player was wearing Russian gear and he had Lightning gear on. I couldn't find it though.

Pretty excited to see this kid over the next few years. He has crazy eyes which is a big indication of good goaltending :C
Yeah it was at the WJC when it was in Ufa.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=7436&cHash=308e7558ed5a05bad557c26d4ec7566a
Here’s an interesting point. “Vasya” – that's the nickname for Vasilevski – tried to wear his Tampa Bay t-shirt for the Russian team’s open media day, but the staff told him not to.

He's also worn lightning masks since being drafted.

811694345.jpg
avasilevskiy_210.jpg

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It's rare for a team to have that type of stability year over year, but honestly, that's how I see it too. A new backup goaltender is pretty obvious, but I don't expect much turnover beyond that - most of the roster improvements will come from the development of young players rather than bringing new guys in.

Also - how ****ing weird is seeing 88 on a goaltender? It's kind of a weird number to start, but on a goaltender? Very odd.

I have a leaflet from a game I saw the Lightning play in Buffalo in October of the '11-'12 season hanging up in my room. Just took a peek. There are 3 players still left on this team out of the 23 players listed. Wowzer.

By number - Brewer, Lecavalier, Clark, Downie, Pyatt, Malone, Kubina, Connolly, Purcell, Hall, Moore, Ritola, Shannon, St. Louis, Gervais, Roloson, Garon, Thompson, Bergeron, (Blair) Jones, Hedman, Stamkos, Gilroy.

Good lord. No wonder we were awful.

How does:
Hedman - Brewer
Kubina - Clark
Gilroy - Gervais
Bergeron

sound? In front of Roloson/Garon?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I have a leaflet from a game I saw the Lightning play in Buffalo in October of the '11-'12 season hanging up in my room. Just took a peek. There are 3 players still left on this team out of the 23 players listed. Wowzer.

By number - Brewer, Lecavalier, Clark, Downie, Pyatt, Malone, Kubina, Connolly, Purcell, Hall, Moore, Ritola, Shannon, St. Louis, Gervais, Roloson, Garon, Thompson, Bergeron, (Blair) Jones, Hedman, Stamkos, Gilroy.

How does:
Hedman - Brewer
Kubina - Clark
Gilroy - Gervais
Bergeron

Well, the whole point of the rebuild was to get some stability.

I remember being pretty excited about the Ryan Shannon signing. That didn't work out.

Probably the craziest thing isn't even how many of those guys aren't on the team anymore - more like not in the league anymore. The entire bottom 5 of that D are playing in Europe, retired, or in the AHL. Both goalies we played are gone, and six of the forwards are gone too. 13 of the 23 players are no longer in the NHL, just three years later.

God damn we were bad.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

How does:
Hedman - Brewer
Kubina - Clark
Gilroy - Gervais
Bergeron

Wow, that really put it in perspective. And to think, I was excited for the 2011/12 season and even thought we could be a force... Boy am I glad those days are past for now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wow, that really put it in perspective. And to think, I was excited for the 2011/12 season and even thought we could be a force... Boy am I glad those days are past for now.

Well we had a somewhat healthy Ohlund the season before, so if he was healthy at all it's not as terrible.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well we had a somewhat healthy Ohlund the season before, so if he was healthy at all it's not as terrible.

Yeah, we thought Ohlund was going to recover and be back around December as I remember. He just kept getting worse after that.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Yeah, we thought Ohlund was going to recover and be back around December as I remember. He just kept getting worse after that.

Ya he went downhill fast. Really is a shame what happened, but at least it forced us to rebuild quicker than planned. If he plays those 2 years we might not have the high draft picks and the trades that gave us Vasi. Crazy how one player can change a franchise for better or worse.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
So the line that was our best last year but hasn't played at all this year is going to go back to being good again next year? Filpulla has dropped off and I'd rather have Palat and Callahan playing with better linemates.

How is the D a missing link? We are not bleeding goals or getting massively out shot. How do you even expect to get another #2 with only moving Carle and Killorn? You say Slater is a ways away but you want Erne in the lineup next year? You Have Erne playing on the 4th line too, how does that help his development? If we managed to move Carle, having Slater play 12 minutes on the bottom pair isn't a huge liability. Sure he's not lighting up the A but all reports are saying how good his play has been, points aren't everything.

We acquired Garrison and Stralman to fill our top 4 void, I really don't see us going after somebody else. Sustr is our weak link in the top 4 but has been pretty impressive lately and improving every game, hasn't been so poor that we should look to replace him.
i said we have to move killorn and carle? so you add a first round pick the rangers maybe something else if is unreal defender.

I WANT ANOTHER NUMBER TWO D MAN. I can look at this team and evaluate it and say the difference of us being great and good is that stud number two still. Adding stralman was huge adding garrison was great carle is an issue. The younger guys are issues but you live with that at times. The thing is do we need to live with it or can we make this big move and be the superstar team we all want?

next yes the d SUCKS we have two great players and most nights two ok players and than questions garrison and stralman have been fine carle has not been fine even lower minutes hes just not what we need imho. Barberio sustr and gudas are usable that is all.

We are this close or we can be the team like san jose who makes it deep 10 years and no cups. That is my opinion but yeah we need a stud defender still another one.

Slater might make it there but he needs work and time. Took hedman four years.

I dont see palat callahan flipper not working that line was awesome not just as scoring but shutting down other lines. They feed off of each other etc..

Also flipper has 24 points in 33 games yeah he sucks lol hes never been a big goal scorer but he is fine. I get other guys have picked up games so flip is being overlooked but he is probably our best faceoff guys and still does the hard quality pk minutes. He has had multitude of different linemates and still is fine.

You all can dislike flipper I still love him myself. What he brings every night.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Carle has looked fine as long as we're on the attack. When he's making decisions we have problems. I think it wouldn't be terribly difficult to spice up the 2nd pairing, but we should really only do it if we can move Carle (Dallas? Colorado?).

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i said we have to move killorn and carle? so you add a first round pick the rangers maybe something else if is unreal defender.

I WANT ANOTHER NUMBER TWO D MAN. I can look at this team and evaluate it and say the difference of us being great and good is that stud number two still. Adding stralman was huge adding garrison was great carle is an issue. The younger guys are issues but you live with that at times. The thing is do we need to live with it or can we make this big move and be the superstar team we all want?

next yes the d SUCKS we have two great players and most nights two ok players and than questions garrison and stralman have been fine carle has not been fine even lower minutes hes just not what we need imho. Barberio sustr and gudas are usable that is all.

We are this close or we can be the team like san jose who makes it deep 10 years and no cups. That is my opinion but yeah we need a stud defender still another one.

Slater might make it there but he needs work and time. Took hedman four years.

I dont see palat callahan flipper not working that line was awesome not just as scoring but shutting down other lines. They feed off of each other etc..

Also flipper has 24 points in 33 games yeah he sucks lol hes never been a big goal scorer but he is fine. I get other guys have picked up games so flip is being overlooked but he is probably our best faceoff guys and still does the hard quality pk minutes. He has had multitude of different linemates and still is fine.

You all can dislike flipper I still love him myself. What he brings every night.
carle has 3 years left on a hefty contract! And right now your saying he can't play in are top 4! If we want cups we are like what la needed years ago added carter and Richards! They were missing centers that were NHL ready! Don't really know what stevie can do ? Getting yandle ? Killorn is not going to do that ? Carles money needs to be dumped. This getting a number 2 defenseman may not happen till the offseason. To me maybe you can go get tj Brodie from the flames ? But might have to give up koekkoek and vladdy plus a pick. Or maybe steve does nothing ? Waits for koekkoek to come around ? Dumps carle ? Signs a free agent this summer ? If you want a legit top defenseman number 2 got to give up good prospects Rangers or lightning draft pick is not going to even be a top 10 pick. So my guess is I really don't know what stevie can get at a fair price ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Maybe tyler Myers but stevie will have to trade a lot for him ? So all I see we can get right now is a rental andrej sekera ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad