WSH: 8-2-0_________NYR: 7-2-2

TIME | 7:00 PM ET VENUE | MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - NYC, NY TV | MSG, CSN-DC

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]
ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; WSH@NYR 5/13/15 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - CAPITALS.com
NY Post - NYDN - Andrew Gross - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE:

novemberschedule.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

It’s always fun to score goals. For sure it’s not every day that you score three, at least not me.
Obviously all the goals I scored, it’s just Nasher and Brass. I’m just a lucky guy to put it in an open net.
Even I can’t miss every open net I get so it’s good.
- Mats Zuccarello

Hopefully it gives us some confidence coming up in the next couple of games. But for sure it was nice to get on the board for the team.
We knew when coach put us together yesterday we had to come out big and that’s what we did tonight. Hopefully we can build on that.
- Derick Brassard

Well, that line had their best game of the year. They made some real solid plays, but I thought they were real solid in both ends of the rink too.
That’s why I had them out there in the last minute and a half. They’ve been very competitive and very good in their reads. They were our best players tonight.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="WASHINGTON CAPITALS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 10 | GF | 34
W | 8 | GA | 23
L | 2 | GF/G | 3.40
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 2.30
Pts | 16 | PIM/G | 07:12
HOME | 4-2-0 | PP% | 24.1
AWAY | 4-0-0 | PK% | 87.9
L10 | 8-2-0 | FO% | 49.3
STREAK | W2 | S/O | 0-0

Division | 1st
Conference | 2nd
League | 4th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Kuznetsov, Ovechkin | 5 Assists | Carlson, Kuznetsov | 8 Points | Evgeny Kuznetsov | 13 + / - | Kuznetsov, Ovechkin | +6 Shots | Alex Ovechkin | 41 Hits | Brooks Orpik | 34 Blocks | Karl Alzner | 22 PIM | Brooks Orpik | 14 FO% | Jay Beagle | 58.5 TOI/G F: | Alex Ovechkin | 20:03 TOI/G D: | John Carlson | 24:31

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
alex OVECHKIN (C) | evgeny KUZNETSOV | t.j. OSHIE
marcus JOHANSSON | nicklas BACKSTROM (A) | justin WILLIAMS
jason CHIMERA | jay BEAGLE | andre BURAKOVSKY
brooks LAICH | chandler STEPHENSON | tom WILSON

LD | RD
brooks ORPIK (A) | john CARLSON
karl ALZNER | matt NISKANEN
dimitry ORLOV | nate SCHMIDT

Scratched
taylor CHORNEY |
mike LATTA |
stanislav GALIEV |

STARTING GOALIE:

HoltbyBraden.png

Braden Holtby

GPI: 8 | W: 6 | L: 2 | OT: 0 | PIM: 0
SV% .924 | GAA: 1.90 | SA: 198 | GA: 15 | SO: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Chris Brown | Hand (IR)

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 11 | GF | 31
W | 7 | GA | 21
L | 2 | GF/G | 2.82
OTL | 2 | GA/G | 1.82
Pts | 16 | PIM/G | 07:32
HOME | 5-1-1 | PP% | 14.3
AWAY | 2-1-1 | PK% | 87.9
L10 | 6-2-2 | FO% | 51.0
STREAK | W2 | S/O | 0-1

Division | 2nd
Conference | 3rd
League | 5th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Mats Zuccarello | 7 Assists | Brassard, Yandle | 5 Points | Mats Zuccarello | 9 + / - | Kevin Klein | +8 Shots | Rick Nash | 33 Hits | Dan Girardi | 29 Blocks | Girardi, Klein | 17 PIM | Marc Staal | 10 FO% | Jarret Stoll | 62.1 TOI/G F: | Mats Zuccarello | 17:32 TOI/G D: | Ryan McDonagh | 22:10

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
rick NASH | derick BRASSARD | mats ZUCCARELLO
chris KREIDER | derek STEPAN (A) | jesper FAST
oscar LINDBERG | kevin HAYES | viktor STALBERG
j.t. MILLER | jarret STOLL | dominic MOORE

LD | RD
ryan MCDONAGH (C) | dan GIRARDI (A)
marc STAAL (A) | kevin KLEIN
keith YANDLE | dylan MCILRATH

Scratched
emerson ETEM |
dan BOYLE |

STARTING GOALIE:

LundqvistHenrik1.png

Henrik Lundqvist

GPI: 9 | W: 5 | L: 2 | OT: 2 | PIM: 0
SV% .943 | GAA: 1.87 | SA: 297 | GA: 17 | SO: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

bannerboys4a.png

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
First real test of the season against a good team out for revenge. Boys better be on the top of their game.

Rick Nash, please show up.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Hey, whaddaya know, a hockey game!

Our guys should be rested, in any event.

Will be good to see McIlrath. Hopefully he can get in a few games in a row to show what he can do.

FLNYR

Wide Angle Watcher
May 14, 2013
Seems like another long break, Rangers hockey is back! Time to start separating from the pack and winning this game would be a start. Awesome to see McI in cause that Wilson guy is gonna be all over us. Defense needs to be on top of their game against the Ovenchicken...LGR!!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The way I look at the Caps is they're basically a 3 line--two defense pairing team. Their main additions this summer were Oshie and Williams. Deletions--Green, Ward, Fehr, Brouwer. There's a noticeable uptick in Kuznetsov's play--not that it hurts playing with Ovechkin--there was probably going to be an uptick anyway--he's young and very obviously getting better. Oshie's a stocky somewhat physical forward and Williams a gnarly grizzly veteran but Ward, Fehr and Brouwer were a larger and even more physically (if less talented) imposing crew. Personally I think losing Ward just about offsets adding Oshie. I know point production not blah blah blah--but when big games comes around Ward has been the better and the more productive player. The Caps bottom pairing and the 4th line appear to me to be a lot weaker than ours--even counting in the raw McIlrath. The Caps will almost certainly bring in a veteran depth defenseman before this year is over.

What the Rangers need to do mostly is play better. An appearance by both Nash and Kreider in this one would be welcome. Hopefully Dylan has a good game and really knocks some of the Caps around.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
For the love of all things holy, someone contain Jason Chimera tonight.

Also agree with pretty much everything eco wrote, except that Kreider needs to step it up more than Nash tonight. I'm getting tired of him just coasting through the first two months of every season.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The way I look at the Caps is they're basically a 3 line--two defense pairing team. Their main additions this summer were Oshie and Williams. Deletions--Green, Ward, Fehr, Brouwer. There's a noticeable uptick in Kuznetsov's play--not that it hurts playing with Ovechkin--there was probably going to be an uptick anyway--he's young and very obviously getting better. Oshie's a stocky somewhat physical forward and Williams a gnarly grizzly veteran but Ward, Fehr and Brouwer were a larger and even more physically (if less talented) imposing crew. Personally I think losing Ward just about offsets adding Oshie. I know point production not blah blah blah--but when big games comes around Ward has been the better and the more productive player. The Caps bottom pairing and the 4th line appear to me to be a lot weaker than ours--even counting in the raw McIlrath. The Caps will almost certainly bring in a veteran depth defenseman before this year is over.

What the Rangers need to do mostly is play better. An appearance by both Nash and Kreider in this one would be welcome. Hopefully Dylan has a good game and really knocks some of the Caps around.

Oshie's looked like a different player so far this year. He's very motivated, hitting everything and hitting with a lot of intensity. He's been just as good or better on the powerplay. This Washington team is better than last year's. When Ovechkin is not your top scorer and Backstrom is your 2C—that's not a "noticable uptick": that's a breakout superstar. I'm curious if things stay as they are for them or if the Backstrom-OV connection will end the season together. At the moment though, Kuznyetzov has been unreal, and the team has looked like the best in the NHL to me because of it.

I'm hoping the Caps try to goon things up, hit Kreider a few times and wake up the sleeping dragon. I haven't been so perplexed by a player since Kovalev.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I am so pissed off that this is only our 3rd game in 10 days but then we have several back-to-backs to get back on track.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
I'll be at this game tonight, and am looking forward to seeing the biggest game of the season for the Rags so far. Big test for McIllrath, and hope Nash and Kreider show up. No matter what happens, I'm expecting Hank to continue his dominant play, and McD-Girardi to do what they always do against Ovi.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oshie's looked like a different player so far this year. He's very motivated, hitting everything and hitting with a lot of intensity. He's been just as good or better on the powerplay. This Washington team is better than last year's. When Ovechkin is not your top scorer and Backstrom is your 2C—that's not a "noticable uptick": that's a breakout superstar. I'm curious if things stay as they are for them or if the Backstrom-OV connection will end the season together. At the moment though, Kuznyetzov has been unreal, and the team has looked like the best in the NHL to me because of it.

I'm hoping the Caps try to goon things up, hit Kreider a few times and wake up the sleeping dragon. I haven't been so perplexed by a player since Kovalev.

Actually I was saying here the other day how much Kreider reminds me of Kovalev---minus though Alex's otherworldly stick skills. Chris has been about as maddeningly inconsistent as Alex as well--though Chris tends to be better in the playoffs. And Nash is another--subpar playoff performer.

As for Kuznetsov---it's a great start for him but 10 games in is a little bit early to say he's had a breakout year and is a legit superstar. Just saying. The thing is you can have a truly superior year or two--- but superstardom is more a longevity thing IMO.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Actually I was saying here the other day how much Kreider reminds me of Kovalev---minus though Alex's otherworldly stick skills. Chris has been about as maddeningly inconsistent as Alex as well--though Chris tends to be better in the playoffs. And Nash is another--subpar playoff performer.

As for Kuznetsov---it's a great start for him but 10 games in is a little bit early to say he's had a breakout year and is a legit superstar. Just saying. The thing is you can have a truly superior year or two--- but superstardom is more a longevity thing IMO.

You're right. I'm actually trying to say that. I'm just saying at this moment in time, Kuznetsov is one of the NHL's best players, I'm not convinced he stays on the top line all season, but Washington has had a fantastic start and are firing on a lot of cylinders.

That was all my point, that right now they might be playing the best hockey they'll play all season for I know, but they have been great. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad