11th Pick Scenario (Ristolainen vs. Zadorov vs. Pulock)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So, few weeks away and everyone on this board has someone they like alot and dislike. These three seem to be the most focused on defensively. So thought it would be fun to through down a scenario and for the board to vote for their defender. Maybe you have seen each one play, maybe you just read up on them, or maybe you just like their name. In the end a vote is a vote, so here is the story:

It's June 30th. The 10th pick is up and everyone is either sad their player they wanted is gone or happy he is still around. Dallas is chilling and everyone knows they are choosing a center but they are wasting time anyway and making the clock go down.

Paul Holmgren is sitting at the Flyers table playing Candy Crush on his new Iphone 5 when one of his underlings interrupts him to ask his take on who they plan on taking since the Flyers were now on the clock. Holmgren curses as his brand new phone locks up midgame and gives a death stare to the poor underling. He slowly places the phone on the table and looks at the list of players that are left.

Holmgren feels as a bead of sweat drips down his face. He didn't know any of the players left on the board.... or for that matter anyone in the draft. He sighs as he was hoping to trade that 1st during the trade deadline but no one thought he was serious when he was looking for a 35+ aging defender who can maybe play as a #6. That along with his main focus of resigning Shelly (and the two week party after grabbing his man Rosehill on the best contract in the league) and the draft was on the back of his mind. He started to read the names left and the draft number his scouts put on them. His eyes flashed over the name "2nd Round" and remembered that he actually had a 2nd round pick this season. "Hard to remember at times" he said while laughing. He gave another look at the list and shook his head.

"I have no idea" he said as he looked around the table. But then, as if the skies opened up and the knowledge of the world was presented to him, he thought of the best idea ever.

"I'm going to ask HFBOARDS what they think." He remembered that one long night a few months ago as he GOOGLE imaged searched "Crying Crosby" and came across that message board.

"I'm making a thread on there about the pick. Give me a minute". He reached for his phone, cursed again as he remembered it was still frozen and reached for the laptop. With the protests of everyone at the table to trust a bunch of people on some random internet forums he makes the thread.

WHO DO YOU WANT THE FLYERS TO CHOOSE?

He quickly looked at the top of the Flyers list of players and read three names in no particular order. Ristolainen, Zadarov, and Pulock. He threw those names on a poll and waited as they voted.

(I was bored and drove like 8 hours today by myself for work so had alot of time to think. Simple question. Who do you choose and why.)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd say Ristolainen. From what I have seen/read he has the highest ceiling and the most complete game. In the end, I would be pretty happy with any of those (and even a couple others that should be available).

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
is it correct the last time you picked 11th you selected Jeff Carter? if so, it is a good omen for you,

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
There isn't an option for other because if it were, it would be Josh Morrissey (gee, can you tell I'm a big Morrissey fan...... :laugh:) With that being said, I'd go with Ristolainen. I think there's untapped offensive potential there (the WJC tournament showed he has great offensive promise) and he's got a mean streak. I do admit though, it's tough to pass on Zadorov.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
If I am Holmgrin a smile comes over my face as I laugh evily. MUHAHAHAHA.
And You thought I wanted Monahan. LOL
Then I pick my #1 choice all along, the guy I hoped would be there,
Our next best defenseman, Ryan Pulock.
Cheers!!!!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Didnt think the poll would be such a blowout. Obviously it just started but thought there were alot more Pulock and Zadorov fans.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Didnt think the poll would be such a blowout. Obviously it just started but thought there were alot more Pulock and Zadorov fans.

I think the results would be much more interesting if Risto was already off the board and Morrissey, Hagg, and others who I'm forgetting took his place.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The forward that no one thought was a first round pick that ends up being called the best player in his respective league a year after being drafted, and starts getting penciled in as a regular for the 2014-15 season. In Homer I trust.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think the results would be much more interesting if Risto was already off the board and Morrissey, Hagg, and others who I'm forgetting took his place.

True. Probablly should of. Oh well. Its one of a few polls I might do.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Well you have not listed any of my choices. As I said before, if the draft goes as I think. Then I hope the Flyers pick one of Samuel Morin,Joshua Morrissey and Kerby Rychel. I have been wrong about a player in the past. But after reading and listening reviews, Samuel Morin just may be the player who could be the hammer this team has lacked since Pronger's injury. The upside of this 17 year old is just off the charts! When he fills out his body and gets his man muscles he could be a monster. He is a player who wants to make a mark every game. He can skate,hit,fight,defend, good puck mover and has a decent shot. There are reports that he is more advanced at his age than Chara was. Anyone who thinks he will be there when the Flyers pick in round two is saddly mistaken. Kerby Rychel is a young man who I have been beating the drum for all year. I think he could step in and play in the NHL next year. This kid has "Flyer" all over him. He has good size, a decent skater,a very very good shot with a quick release. He is extremly competative, hard to play against, a kid who stands up for his teammates. He is good along the wall. He is not a super star but he is a top six forward who will play in the league for a long time and be a winner. Joshua Morrissey is a player who if was a few inches taller you may have been talking about a top seven or eight pick.Lets face it, offense is the name of his game. But this young man can play physical also.His frame is not slight. He hits and hits hard for his size.. He can see the ice well and has a very good shot.Very good wheels and would be a plus player on the PP. Like we all know, his size is the question about him. But there is a lot to like is his game. Anyway, there are my three "sleepers" the Flyers could pick in the 1st round as far as I am concerned. Flame away, but you are not going to change this old fart's opinion.:)

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
To me it was between pulock and general zad (I know genius right). Admittedly I don't know much about risto other then what I've seen on YouTube but I haven't been really impressed by him. I ended up going with zad cause of his size and I think he's really made big improvements this yr and being as though motility is not a problem I don't see why he wouldn't continue to improve. I feel like risto is the safest option with the other two having the higher upside. Pulock I envision as a mike green type d-man, can be physical, is all offense and is ok in his own zone. Zad is already good in his own zone, is big and physical and with his motility and strength has good offensive tools too.

Don't follow juniors much besides flyers prospects though so I could be wrong about all this stuff.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Well you have not listed any of my choices. As I said before, if the draft goes as I think. Then I hope the Flyers pick one of Samuel Morin,Joshua Morrissey and Kerby Rychel. I have been wrong about a player in the past. But after reading and listening reviews, Samuel Morin just may be the player who could be the hammer this team has lacked since Pronger's injury. The upside of this 17 year old is just off the charts! When he fills out his body and gets his man muscles he could be a monster. He is a player who wants to make a mark every game. He can skate,hit,fight,defend, good puck mover and has a decent shot. There are reports that he is more advanced at his age than Chara was. Anyone who thinks he will be there when the Flyers pick in round two is saddly mistaken. Kerby Rychel is a young man who I have been beating the drum for all year. I think he could step in and play in the NHL next year. This kid has "Flyer" all over him. He has good size, a decent skater,a very very good shot with a quick release. He is extremly competative, hard to play against, a kid who stands up for his teammates. He is good along the wall. He is not a super star but he is a top six forward who will play in the league for a long time and be a winner. Joshua Morrissey is a player who if was a few inches taller you may have been talking about a top seven or eight pick.Lets face it, offense is the name of his game. But this young man can play physical also.His frame is not slight. He hits and hits hard for his size.. He can see the ice well and has a very good shot.Very good wheels and would be a plus player on the PP. Like we all know, his size is the question about him. But there is a lot to like is his game. Anyway, there are my three "sleepers" the Flyers could pick in the 1st round as far as I am concerned. Flame away, but you are not going to change this old fart's opinion.:)

If we draft any of them it had better be because we traded down and picked up an extra pick in the process. Maybe trade our #11 pick to Dallas for theBruis 1st and Dallas' 2nd.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If we draft any of them it had better be because we traded down and picked up an extra pick in the process. Maybe trade our #11 pick to Dallas for theBruis 1st and Dallas' 2nd.

Dallas is sitting at 10 currently so you want to trade back around 15 spots to the Bruins 1st? I don't like the sounds of that. A team to watch is Columbus. They have the 14th and 44th picks(their own) and might look to move up. We are in perfect position for them to make that move to 11 if we see the same level of talent at 11 that will be at 14.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Zadarov, I like what I've read about him more and more. I don't mind Risto. Honestly, I prefer a winger Valeri Nichushkin over them to be honest. Take the best player available.

Flyers2point0

Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Zadorov. He's big, physical, has great mobility, and is developing well both defensively and offensively. lots of raw potential and has the drive and work ethic to be the best he can be. I doubt Risto will be available, and I like him but not as much as Zadorov. Pulock I haven't been too impressed with.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
went with big Z

didnt see a whole lot of him, but really noticed him at the wjc. but what is really impressing me at the memorial cup with zad is, the guy is a surprising athlete for his size. in games he will make a few big hits, then his team needs some offense. they get him to pinch, he gets the puck in the middle swings to the right goes in and scores. then his second goal at the tourney, he pinches, sits around the net like a dump truck. puck comes along bounces off his skate, in the net. then another moment i thought, man how would this guy look on the flyers. my question got answered. pouillot was coming into the london zone. and he didnt see this 6-5,230 lb wall. runs right into Z, and tumbles to the ice. i was like a penguin prospect runs into this guy,loses the battle and falls down with no effort from Z, that is beautiful. would love to see that, at the next level. my other choices are morin and morrisey, wants nothing to do with pulock. he scares me. with him the risk of getting a number 4 dman, at pick 11, is a big waste of a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad