Value of: 11th overall pick

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It’s hard to see Buffalo willing to be locked into age 33-35 Pulock at 6.1m during the prime of their window with Dahlin, Sammy and Power all locked up long term and Byram needing a new contract soon. Love Pulock but it kills the Sabres flexibility on the backend
That's fair, although I don't see a 33 year old Pulock slipping much. By 35 he'll probably be bottom pairing but like you said, that's his last year. At that point 6.15 will probably be closer to 4 as the cap rises, which is like high-end bottom pairing money.

Either way though, you mainly are paying for what he gives you these next 3-4 years, which in reality is a decent sized window for a solid #2-3 caliber D. I get the concern though as far as locking up other guys.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Just as a basis .. what do you offer Buffalo for 11th OA.

Needs are 3C

Bottom 6 wingers

Top 4 RD

Physical Top 6 winger.

Now obviously the value of these needs are pretty different so adds can be made from either team where needed.

Edit: No Scott Laughton

This is not a deep draft and players taken after 10 are about 5 years away from being legit NHLERS. One scouting report I read called it the ultimate test to see what teams are better at developing players

You went crazy alright. Give up the 11th and Byram for two one year contracts and Liljegren. And thats IF the would agree to the trade. At least make it so Buffalo would have something to think about.

John Tavares
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Toronto first

For

11th overall
Bowan Byram
Jeff Skinner
Buffalo 4th

That would at least give Buffalo something to think about.
Easy no from the Sabres. JT and MM are damaged good 12 months away from UFA and Byram is a legit number 1 D shortly

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You could probably get a Buchnevich with the 11th and something else. That other piece won’t be cheap either though.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
11th overall is high value for a 3c so offers will be tricky. If Landy comes back Ross Colton might be a cap casualty. He's not worth the pick on his own, but at least he's a good player with a contract not old unlike some others in the thread.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
An 11th. overall better be a true 3C with the ability to play key minutes. And with two years term minimum. Bottom 6 wingers? Pass. A tough winger like Evander Kane (who doesn't have the same baggage) would be worth a 1st.

My personal opinion is you package the 1st with another top prospect like Rosen or even Seguin and look for serious quality with the term.

I will tell you one thing, we give up a 1st for a Cody Eakin level guy and I might be done. Let's hope team does its homework.
What is the definition of a true 3C?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Artturi Lehkonen is a potential cap casualty of the Avs this summer and I have long felt a deal around this pick from Buffalo would make a lot of sense for both teams, IF the Avs are forced to move Lehky.

Seems hard to imagine given how insanely clutch he is in the playoffs especially, and how much Bednar loves him. But the Avs are going to be in a really tough spot cap wise this summer if/when Landeskog returns and Lehky could unfortunately be the odd man out.

He's also exactly what Buffalo needs IMO. The perfect compliment to the skill guys in the Top 6 already. Incredibly hard worker, ferocious forecheck, very strong PK and defensive abilities... I think he'd slot in ridiculously well with Buffalo and would be the kind of piece that could push them into the playoffs down the stretch.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Artturi Lehkonen is a potential cap casualty of the Avs this summer and I have long felt a deal around this pick from Buffalo would make a lot of sense for both teams, IF the Avs are forced to move Lehky.

Seems hard to imagine given how insanely clutch he is in the playoffs especially, and how much Bednar loves him. But the Avs are going to be in a really tough spot cap wise this summer if/when Landeskog returns and Lehky could unfortunately be the odd man out.

He's also exactly what Buffalo needs IMO. The perfect compliment to the skill guys in the Top 6 already. Incredibly hard worker, ferocious forecheck, very strong PK and defensive abilities... I think he'd slot in ridiculously well with Buffalo and would be the kind of piece that could push them into the playoffs down the stretch.
No. We can not move this guy. We want to keep performing in playoffs. At least he'd actually be worth the pick for Buffalo

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
I'd offer a aggressive quality package. Someone like Ylonen or Farrell could step into your roster now in the bottom 6 and then you get a solid futures package. I'd say Mesar needs one AHL year.

* Jets 1st (24-27 range)

* Mesar (drafted 26th in the 22 draft). I would project him as a Middle 6F. D+2 was very solid this year. Very fast with good play making/vision type. Needs to add some muscle

* Avs 2nd

* Choice from the following (as the NHL piece you could use now): Harris, Ylonen, Farrell.
Sabres are not interested in draft picks or prospects

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You start by stating in bold QUALITY PACKAGE but then offer:
1. A player who won't be resigned;
2. A project 3-4 line tweener;
3. A late first drafted two years ago who has yet to justify his draft status; and
4. A late 1st in a draft where after the top 15, takes a nose dive.

This is the epitome of lots of scraps for a quality piece. Buffalo is bloated with quality prospects, so they don't need MORE futures. I think the OP was offering the pick for something immediate, like an established 3C, top 6 winger, etc. This does nothing to address their needs.

I find it hilarious that apparently just putting something in bold makes it "true".

Despite the fact that what was offered thereafter is the epitome of a "quantity" package. Which is obviously the complete opposite of what the Sabres would be looking to do.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
It's basic and probably not a player to help now but

10th OV
For
11th OV + Buffalo's 2nd round pick
In the 2016 draft, the value of an almost identical pick swap was a 3rd round pick.

The Devils would be interested in Lehkonen if he was available. I just think the Avalanche trade Colton or someone else rather than him.

Reactions: Jacob582

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
In the 2016 draft, the value of an almost identical pick swap was a 3rd round pick.

The Devils would be interested in Lehkonen if he was available. I just think the Avalanche trade Colton or someone else rather than him.
If somehow Landy is back and we resign. Drouin we would have too many top 6 wings. I'd still rather keep him but he's wasted on a third line. You want him getting pucks for your top tier talent. Would be great with Hughes.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad