Golf: 116th United States Open Championship: June 16-19. Oakmont.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Penalty assessed. DJ and gravity combine for 69 strokes today. 68 for DJ, and 1 for gravity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hope that was only because Dustin Johnson told them to shove it

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Not as much as Zach Johnson's.

Never got it confirmed if he has to wear those for medical reasons or something but the guy wears sunglasses in cloudy weather.
Earlier I was trying to think of other pros that wear sunglasses and couldn't come up with any. Good call on ZJ though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The real question here is, was Bourdy assessed a penalty when the same thing happened to him on 10? He even grounded his putter and the official there didn't give him a penalty. But doesn't matter because he's not the leader, doesn't add drama.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pagel saying the ball moving was almost immediate after his soled his putter. Except it wasn't. If that caused his ball to move it would have moved much sooner.

How about Bourdy grounding his club behind the ball and then the ball moving? That's not a penalty but this is, it's pathetic.

I'm glad it didn't matter, but still steamed at the USGA, they handled this about as poorly as they possibly could have.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Pagel saying the ball moving was almost immediate after his soled his putter. Except it wasn't. If that caused his ball to move it would have moved much sooner.

How about Bourdy grounding his club behind the ball and then the ball moving? That's not a penalty but this is, it's pathetic.

I'm glad it didn't matter, but still steamed at the USGA, they handled this about as poorly as they possibly could have.

I like he they said it moved after he grounded his club. He never even grounded his club

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
I'm totally fine with how everything was handled. I don't believe that ball moves without DJ standing above it.

Waiting until the end of the round to address it with all parties makes sense to. Can't go around asking DJ and bring him a iPad like you see in the NHL.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The two fools from the USGA were on The Golf Channel and the one dude just wanted to sit there and rip these two fools. He held so bad.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm totally fine with how everything was handled. I don't believe that ball moves without DJ standing above it.

Waiting until the end of the round to address it with all parties makes sense to. Can't go around asking DJ and bring him a iPad like you see in the NHL.

There was no reason to wait because it was clear their mind had been made up.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
There was no reason to wait because it was clear their mind had been made up.

I feel it was made clear to everyone DJ would be penalized. They were just keeping the door open for anything DJ or Westwood could say to justify the ball movement.

I like the fact the USDA didn't declare DJ guilty over just video evidence.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Totally disagree. If DJ reacts badly to that being over his head than the USGA affected the outcome. DJ did have as much a say as he could when he called it out to the official following the group. Why is he entitled/needed to look at video? He knows what happened. USDA needs to make the call immediately at the 12th when he was confronted and go forward from there.

Almost all big name players called it a farce to leave it hanging like that.

They are lucky he handled like he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad