Speculation: 11 games in who have been our top 5 players?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think adaptable is a good word for Pouliot. He knows he's the #3 guy on the line, so he just does whatever will help the other 2

Yes. That sounds simple, but he's done it so well that I don't think there are a helluva lot of players out there we could pick up that would be able to do it so well. I was really hoping that Perron would be able to play this kind of role for Edmonton, but his speed and discipline held him back.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
57437_o.gif

McDavid... McDavid... McDavid McDavid McDavid

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No doubt. Mcdavid, Hall, Yak, Pou, Hendricks and our goaltenders are the only ones I am confident in. Sekera, Klef and Nuge need to be better. Schultz has improved a lot but still too inconsistent for my liking.

If Schultz was playing 15 minutes a game he'd probably have half a dozen votes here.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yakupov has more top-5 votes than Taylor Hall. Talk about a turn-around in perception on this board :naughty:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't know how anyone could omit either one from this list.
Other than bias, of course.

Both have been playing great. But I just enjoy seeing the shift from 'he's never going to turn it around' 'he can't think the game' 'he's never going to fix his play' to him being voted more valuable than our undisputed MVP the past few years.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
3 votes for Nilsson? Give me a break. He stole us the game in Vancouver and gave us a chance in Dallas. The Washington game he had no help.

McDavid
Yak
Talbot
Nilsson
Hall

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
McDavid
Yak
Klefa
Talbot
Hall

Not in order except for McDavid. Pouliot is right there too IMO.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Both have been playing great. But I just enjoy seeing the shift from 'he's never going to turn it around' 'he can't think the game' 'he's never going to fix his play' to him being voted more valuable than our undisputed MVP the past few years.

He deserves it.
Personally, I still see Hall as more valuable but Yak has been great.
Top 5 for sure.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I also like the term 'plug and play' for him. He seems perfectly fine wherever we throw him in the lineup. Kind of like Dupuis or Kunitz before they got old and bad.

I disagree honestly. Pouliot seems fine when we play him with elite offensive players and he seems to be able to mesh well with them. But when he's not expected to be anything other than the 3rd best player on a line he's been pretty bad here.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
1. McDavid - Been the best player on the ice many nights and looks like one of the best players in the league

2. Hall - slow start in first 3 games, but was still breaking-even despite not putting up points. Looks like the player we saw a few seasons ago and is playing more responsible hockey.

3. Yakupov - being paired with McDavid has been great for him, but he has also clearly clicked with McLellan and is clear on what his role is. A lot of people would put Yakupov ahead of Hall on this list, but Hall has still been more impressive IMO.

4. Talbot - has given us a chance in every game this year, and although he's had a couple nights with low save %, typically the goals given up were due to defensive miscues.

5. RNH - offensive game hasn't been as noticeable as I had hoped thus far, but he's really committed to playing a 3 zone game and at worst looks to be tracking for 50 points.

Honorable Mentions:
Pouliot
Hendricks

If Darnell Nurse had played more games, he'd likely be up there too.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Voted McDavid, Hall, RNH, Yak, Talbot because the other guys who have played that well have only played a couple games, and while some D have looked good at times, none of them have been consistent enough to be considered top 5.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Talbot- Feels good to have a goalie that the team has confidence in.

Mcdavid- No explanation.

Yakupov- Top 10 in league scoring. Compliments Mcdavid.

Hall- Top 10 in league scoring. Has been the teams second best player.

RNH- Great job of sheltering Mcdavid, points will come.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I disagree honestly. Pouliot seems fine when we play him with elite offensive players and he seems to be able to mesh well with them. But when he's not expected to be anything other than the 3rd best player on a line he's been pretty bad here.

Really? When he was a third liner last year I thought he was fine. Other than that hes been a complementary top 6er the rest of the time for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad