Speculation: 11 games in who have been our top 5 players?

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I feel like a lot of people only look at scoresheets here. Nuge has pretty clearly been better than yak or pouliot (no knock on them, they've been awesome). He's our most complete forward by a mile and is leaps and bounds ahead of the others in defensive play and only has a couple less points. He's been an utter beast this season.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Some players on the list haven't played in most of these 11 games: Nurse, Reinhart, Drai, Nilsson, Hendricks. I excluded them from my selection only for that reason. It is not fair to the other players to group all on the same list.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
McDavid

Talbot
RNH
Yak
Hall

This was my choice as well. If it was 3 games ago I would have had Gryba but his mistakes lately have been costly. I went back and read the Gryba trade on the OTT page and they all talked about how he could be O.K but his turnovers where killer

NMK

Feb 3, 2007
McDavid
Hall
Pouliot
Nugent-Hopkins
Nurse. Our best D-man the past two games, exactly what we needed. Range of skills, size, toughness, speed, puck skills, compete level through the roof.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The first two was easy; McDavid and Talbot.

After that it got a bit more tricky. Kinda wanted to take Schultz just because of how much he's improved from last year and I think he's been better than what most people give him credit for. Then again he had a few stinkers so ultimately I decided not to pick him.

Then you can make cases for Pouliot, Hendricks and Nurse too but Nuge, Hall and Yak has been better and really started to rev up lately which is nice to see.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
People have short memories.

Nuge was easily our best player through the first 5 games and really has only had one or two "off games". If we are looking at all the first 10 games I think he is the slight favorite for best in that complete stretch.

For me:

Nuge
Hall
Mcdavid
Talbot
Hendricks

Honorable mentions:

Gyrba
Reinhart

When you think of the quality of competition a guy like Sekera and Schultz really should be in the conversation as well.

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
Forgive me McJesus for I have sinned.

I Voted:
McDavid
Yakupov
Gryba
Talbot
Hendricks

Because I voted on "whom has met or surpassed my expectations for them" rather than "who have been the five best players" as instructed.

shame on me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McDavid
RNH
Hall
Yak
Talbot

No order other than McDavid #1. He's the best offensive player on the team. Honestly he's been the best overall player on the team.

Been mildly underwhelmed to various degrees at times with RNH and Hall. But there's no questioning that they've been 2 of the teams top 5 players, largely because there has been a lot of really disappointing performances this year (the entire bottom 6, all of the d-men) and it would be ignorant to ignore that they've spent the start of the year with a rotating group of 4th liners on their right wing.

Yak is probably playing the best hockey of his career. He's really improved his two-way game to a level that he's never demonstrated before in his career. Even last year when he was lighting it up with Roy, that line was an absolute disaster in it's own end. The Pou-McDavid-Yak line is still high event, but Yakupov is so much more composed in his own zone and in the neutral zone. He's making so many simple smart plays this year and really gets what he needs to know with McDavid.

Talbot has been good. He was incredible the first handful of games. Has come back down to earth a little bit the last couple of games. Would like to see him make one or two more big saves.

Left out Nurse who has been really good. But it's been two games. Will need to re-evaluate again in a month or so.

My list as well. Both RNH and Hall have had some stinkers of games but when they play well we usually win. The funny thing is that IMO Hall hasn't been at his best and he's damn near a ppg right now. RNH seems to have been screwed out of an assist or 2 of late though so his stats should be a little better than they appear to be.

Yak has been playing pretty well and has been more consistent than the other non Mc 1st overalls.

McDavid is our best player already.

Talbot has been a godsend to this team.

Schultz would've gotten a runner up if not for that Washington game.

Gryba overall has been good as well.

Nurse has been solid but 2 games is too early to grade him IMO.

Pouliot IMO has been carried the most by McDavid, I really don't think that his game has been very impressive this season.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I'd like to inquire as to why McDavid only has 99.44% of the vote. Who on earth didn't put him on the list lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have a lot of the usual suspects, but my #5 is Sekera. The guy has settled down and is looking like the guy we wanted all along. As far as I'm concerned both RNH, Hall, and Talbot have had rough stretches of play, but I still say they are top 5. Sekera has a lot more responsibility than a forward, with a lot more minutes, so his screw ups have been more magnified.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I honestly wasn't expecting this much separation between Hall, Yak and Hopkins when I made this poll.

For the most part wanted to see how Pouliot stacked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad