Post-Game Talk: #11 | Flyers at Senators | November 5, 2022 | 7:00 PM |

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost had a solid game, maybe getting benched for a game does work?
But it's been the story so far, young player has good game, then MIA, then shows up again . . .
Who would have thought playing a bunch of inexperienced players together would result in inconsistent play, game to game and period to period?

This is what the first half of the season is going to look like, mix and match lines, players struggling to figure out the game.

Nice PP goal by Hayes, if he wants to embrace the net front role on the PP, he can juice his scoring stats with TDA running the show, that was an example of using mobility and vision to get the puck to the net rather than just winding up and blasting away from the blue line.

MacEwen isn't pretty, but so far he's been effective in his own muddled way.
Like half the lineup, playing far above where he should be, but that's what happens when 3 starters are out, opportunities for PT present themselves to the undeserving. And sometimes players take that opportunity and skate with it.

Tippett has his share of muffs, but he's using his speed to good advantage, on a team that lacks speed and quickness he stands out.
Which is why Frost, if he works at it, will rise in the lineup - the one thing Torts wants from his speed guys is a strong back check, that doesn't detract from your offense, but it requires will and focus - and Tippett is showing that.

The best thing about Hart stealing games isn't the wins, but that playing in close games is better for player development than playing in lopsided losses.

Reactions: Hextallent63

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
But it's been the story so far, young player has good game, then MIA, then shows up again . . .
Who would have thought playing a bunch of inexperienced players together would result in inconsistent play, game to game and period to period?

This is what the first half of the season is going to look like, mix and match lines, players struggling to figure out the game.

Nice PP goal by Hayes, if he wants to embrace the net front role on the PP, he can juice his scoring stats with TDA running the show, that was an example of using mobility and vision to get the puck to the net rather than just winding up and blasting away from the blue line.

Like half the lineup, playing far above where he should be, but that's what happens when 3 starters are out, opportunities for PT present themselves to the undeserving. And sometimes players take that opportunity and skate with it.

Tippett has his share of muffs, but he's using his speed to good advantage, on a team that lacks speed and quickness he stands out.
Which is why Frost, if he works at it, will rise in the lineup - the one thing Torts wants from his speed guys is a strong back check, that doesn't detract from your offense, but it requires will and focus - and Tippett is showing that.

The best thing about Hart stealing games isn't the wins, but that playing in close games is better for player development than playing in lopsided losses.
You mean the easy way Tippett was stripped for pucks from behind, on several occasions last night? Including once behind his own net for a couple high danger chances?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You mean the easy way Tippett was stripped for pucks from behind, on several occasions last night? Including once behind his own net for a couple high danger chances?
He's not the only one, Sanheim has been leaking pucks with and without Risto.

Funny, when people clamor to let prospects play through their mistakes, it seems to apply to only a select few.

Tippett has great raw tools, we're in a rebuilding year, common sense says play him as long as he works hard.
This isn't Bellows, who looks surprising bad for a 1st rd pick (at least with Hodgson you can blame the "Peter Principle"), Tippett flashes enough skill to be patient.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Torts needs to can the Cates experiment at C and put him on Frost's LW. Doing a disservice to both of them.
I think Cates has been back on the wing for a while now. Still on one point for the season.

I really like Frost and Laczynski together, even with ND as the other wing. Those two’s skills really seem to complement each other. They were able to cycle the puck around the Sens for extended periods last night.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Funny, when people clamor to let prospects play through their mistakes, it seems to apply to only a select few.

Tippett has great raw tools, we're in a rebuilding year, common sense says play him as long as he works hard.
This isn't Bellows, who looks surprising bad for a 1st rd pick (at least with Hodgson you can blame the "Peter Principle"), Tippett flashes enough skill to be patient.
This is exactly what I want. However, when there is one player who is clearly the coach’s and GM’s darling (Tippett) getting 18+ minutes a night while Frost and Allison are getting 6-7 minutes or scratched completely, for similar or even worse play, there is a clear issue. It’s clear that Cuck does not want to be embarrassed further (he doesn’t know he’s already the lowest of the low) by scratching guys like Risto and Tippett who they gave up prime assets for. I think Torts knows this, even if he hasn’t been given strict direction.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The real problem right now is Laughton just isn't a 2C, Cates isn't a center, Frost needs to show he can be a consistent 3C before you want to pile that much responsibility on him - Couts' injury has left a gaping hole.

The problem is not just winning games, but that it's hurts Cates development, jacking him arouond then playing him with a center who isn't a playmaker - now if Brink were healthy, he might run the line the way G does from the wing, but the other RWs don't have that skill.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

can you call them benches though? i think frost could be playing better but i think right now, especially with the injuries, people sitting is more of a result of torts mixing things up and trying different things for the hell of it. i think maybe in another 3-5 weeks we will have a more definite idea of what torts thinks he has. just my opinion, as always. someone said it last night, but i think people like tippett frost and allison would fair alot better in a lineup with higher iq players.

bellows reminds me of beer leaguer afraid to get hurt for work when the week end is over. like he has a motor but doesnt use it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is exactly what I want. However, when there is one player who is clearly the coach’s and GM’s darling (Tippett) getting 18+ minutes a night while Frost and Allison are getting 6-7 minutes or scratched completely, for similar or even worse play, there is a clear issue. It’s clear that Cuck does not want to be embarrassed further (he doesn’t know he’s already the lowest of the low) by scratching guys like Risto and Tippett who they gave up prime assets for. I think Torts knows this, even if he hasn’t been given strict direction.
I seriously doubt this - I think Torts likes the way Tippett flies back on the back check.

Risto is another issue, Torts will try to turn him into a player, there's no reason not to try, at worst, at some point you throw up your hands, at best you end up with a solid, experienced foursome. Risto has the raw tools, so there's nothing to lose by trying - Attard isn't ready for a top 4 role and York is uncomfortable on his right side.

Right now he just wants the kids to do the fundamental things, he wants Allison to cut out the cross ice passes, Frost to back check more aggressively instead of just looking for an offensive opportunity, Laczynski to show more burst, etc.

You can control effort and focus, but not talent.
Talent may develop with PT, but for Torts, PT is earned, not given.

PT for players varies from game to game as lines as shuffled, and players move up and down the lineup.
This will continue for awhile until things settle down.

It's a long season, and the lineups are written with pencil this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I do wonder how much the future of the team plays into their minds, especially for guys like Hart.

How awful must it be to stand so tall in all these games only to realize that you're just fostering the continued death of this franchise?

Doubt he cares about that. He’s playing for a huge new contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well this isn't true
Just 3 of his top 6 forwards.
Can't count Ellis anymore, not even sure he can fog a mirror.

Brown and Brink don't qualify, one isn't a starter, the other not yet a starter.

In other news, NAK was claimed by the Caps, who are woefully thin with Backstrom, Connor Brown, Hagelin, Malenstyn, Oshie and Wilson all on IR.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just 3 of his top 6 forwards.
Can't count Ellis anymore, not even sure he can fog a mirror.

Brown and Brink don't qualify, one isn't a starter, the other not yet a starter.

In other news, NAK was claimed by the Caps, who are woefully thin with Backstrom, Connor Brown, Hagelin, Malenstyn, Oshie and Wilson all on IR.
So you agree, he lied.

Cool

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wish someone in the National media would make a big deal about that absurd holding penalty on Sanheim. Those refs need to be fined a week’s wages for a call that bad.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There were a bunch of bad calls, like the imaginary interference penalty called on MacEwen.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Sens are bottom feeder, still needed Hart to steal the win, but it’s all Torts right ?

And since we clearly only have 2 d men for the PP, you have to just run TDA for the whole PP. Provy is elite at PKing our PP.

Frost was second best Flyer by a mile, good to see.

And zero chance Fisto comes back in correct , or because it’s the big bad blues he will be gifted a spot ? #Accountability

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Overplaying slugs, grabbing lost causes on waivers, playing a winger just starting his pro career as a center, and then wondering why your team is near the bottom of the league in shot attempts. Classic Flyers.

And they're winning games?

What's the problem?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sens are bottom feeder, still needed Hart to steal the win, but it’s all Torts right ?

And since we clearly only have 2 d men for the PP, you have to just run TDA for the whole PP. Provy is elite at PKing our PP.

Frost was second best Flyer by a mile, good to see.

And zero chance Fisto comes back in correct , or because it’s the big bad blues he will be gifted a spot ? #Accountability

Actually with players like Tkachuk, Batherson, DeBrincat and Stutzle plus Chabot and Sanderson on defense the Senators are expected to be an emerging team this year.

Hardly a "bottom feeder".

This was a nice win.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Be honest. Everyone thinks Frost is going to be good one day. Great skills but when will he make a difference because he hasn't yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad