GDT: 11/9/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Chicago vs Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You don't take a second mortgage on your house and trade on margin with the expectation that you're always going to get it right.

The rebuild will be here one day, it's a very fair question to ask how wise it was to trade multiple 1sts two years in advance.

All that being said, let's pump the breaks on the chicken little stuff with Vasy out and an above .500 record. We aren't the Oilers

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
So coming off 3 straight finals you thought before the playoffs last year that this team was going to lose in round 1 and should've started the rebuild?

Hi guys I'm Mr.Hindsight trying to look smart

It's not hindsight at all, many people on this forum acknowledged this team wasn't the same and we had no expectations of another championship heading into the postseason. You seem to forget how horribly we played for most of the second half of the season last year.

I can't even say we should've made it by Toronto because the main culprit was Vasy and he played like garbage for huge stretches of the season, so it's not like even that was unexpected.

There were obvious signs this team wasn't the same, which isn't a surprise considering the depth we've lost the past few years....mostly replaced by minimum salary guys. And now we look to be even worse than last year, which, again, isn't a surprise.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's not hindsight at all, many people on this forum acknowledged this team wasn't the same and we had no expectations of another championship heading into the postseason. You seem to forget how horribly we played for most of the second half of the season last year.

I can't even say we should've made it by Toronto because the main culprit was Vasy and he played like garbage for huge stretches of the season, so it's not like even that was unexpected.

There were obvious signs this team wasn't the same, which isn't a surprise considering the depth we've lost the past few years....mostly replaced by minimum salary guys. And now we look to be even worse than last year, which, again, isn't a surprise.

Because we had our match-up and position essentially locked in around January.....? I'd say the team played well last year given the expectations of drop-off, they cleaned up their division and coasted the last half of the season, the only iffy spots were Vasy who people hoped could be in form by the playoffs, obviously that wasn't the case but the rest of the team easily proved they could've gone on a run given their performance that series.

Again, people are using hindsight, there was plenty of optimism given Hagel, Point, Paul Sergachev and Killorn ALL had career years, Kucherov was tearing it up and Perbix came out of nowhere.

Who did we fill out with league minimum salary guys? That was this year not last, we brought in Cole who's one of the best bottom pairing D-man in the league which cost 3M, Names was signed for 2M but flipped for Eyssimont. Tampa didn't scrape around like they did this year, they had money to spend, only Hayden Fleury was signed to a league minimum contract and we just sent him down anyways when Perbix took over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Thought it was going to be one of those games where we dominated. That turned around quickly. De Haan was brutal. Looked like a beer leaguer out there at times. You can tell Kucherov is not a fan of his. There was a fluffed shot pass and Kuch just gave up on the play looking at him like really man...

Also love Kucherov laughing at Jeannots unintentional slap pass.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We have played horribly in a lot of regular seasons, including the ones that led to cups.

We cant rebuild any time soon. We have too many top players in their primes. We will hopefully figure out a way to retool over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Renopucker and Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I liked and appreciated what Bally Sun did during last night's broadcast. They taught a little bit about pp entries during the pre-game, and then pointed it out when it happened in the game.

It's mostly the nerds who pay close attention to the pre/post game, so it's a perfect time.

Maybe clip them for YouTube as well. I like to use videos like that to illustrate and explain points. I feel like road games might be a better option for when they happen, though. Fans in the arena miss out, and there are a surprising amount of long-time fans who don't really know much about the tactical side of the game.

Last edited:

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Bedard is unreal, but good God, someone get this kid a sandwich.
Why? He's probably the most jacked 18-year old in hockey. Here's him at 17. He's already got Martin St. Louis legs.

FyREPadWYAABdIk.jpg

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You don't take a second mortgage on your house and trade on margin with the expectation that you're always going to get it right.

The rebuild will be here one day, it's a very fair question to ask how wise it was to trade multiple 1sts two years in advance.

All that being said, let's pump the breaks on the chicken little stuff with Vasy out and an above .500 record. We aren't the Oilers
I appreciate you at least trying to get what I am saying.

And you are right about Vasy. Hopefully, that provides a spark for overall team defense.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Just wanted to say that in 30 years of watching hockey I can't ever remember a score after 1 period less reflecting the actual play on the ice. Couldn't believe that you guys didn't score something like 6 goals in the first with as many scoring chances as were generated. Hoping that Vasy can stabilize things for you guys when he gets back and is playing 100%.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
We have played horribly in a lot of regular seasons, including the ones that led to cups.

We cant rebuild any time soon. We have too many top players in their primes. We will hopefully figure out a way to retool over the next couple of years.
Retooling, is what most people including myself, want or are asking for but you need assets to do so. It takes self restraint not to put yourself in debt or overextend yourself or team.

We won cups. They are forever. They are worth whatever darkness eventually awaits us. When making some of those moves, you are paying super premium prices. JBB may be a victim of his own success as he kept going and going and now there is nothing left to retool with.

I will say with so many teams at or near the cap...it could level the playing field a bit. Hopefully.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just wanted to say that in 30 years of watching hockey I can't ever remember a score after 1 period less reflecting the actual play on the ice. Couldn't believe that you guys didn't score something like 6 goals in the first with as many scoring chances as were generated. Hoping that Vasy can stabilize things for you guys when he gets back and is playing 100%.
Naw we deserved that for the turnovers we gave up. The one that went in off of Cirelli maybe was a bit unfair but the lead up to it wasn't great either.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Bolts did have two dead ringers in the first--one of 'em was a double ringer. That said, Bolts didn't deserve that one at all. deHann's fumble at the blueline was a killer.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Nope, you never told me to leave. Dementia must be kicking in for you.
It's an accepted practice on here to not wander into other teams' boards. Many do, but rarely do they actually engage in meaningful conversation. Those are extremely rare. Using a Hockey comparison, the treatment one receives would be the equivalent of me checking you over the boards and into my bench.

What treatment do you think you'd receive?

So, while you ponder that, I bid you goodbye, farewell, farvel, proshchaniye, soraidh, skat, adios, lebewohl, addio ... scram

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
It's an accepted practice on here to not wander into other teams' boards. Many do, but rarely do they actually engage in meaningful conversation. Those are extremely rare. Using a Hockey comparison, the treatment one receives would be the equivalent of me checking you over the boards and into my bench.

What treatment do you think you'd receive?

So, while you ponder that, I bid you goodbye, farewell, farvel, proshchaniye, soraidh, skat, adios, lebewohl, addio ... scram
I'm a Lightning fan. What other teams' board did I wander into???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad