GDT: 11/29/14 - 7:00PM EDT - Ottawa VS Tampa Bay

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Missed this one. Anyone care to give me the rundown?

We were a little sluggish in the 1st period, as soon as we tied it we started to roll, we looked better in the 2nd, did not breakdown on D, then we were lights out in the 3rd, Ottawa could not get out of their own zone.

Basically we got better as the game went on, and then totally dominated in the 3rd.

Sorry to say, you missed a good one.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
My take on trading Connolly. Since some of you want to waive him what value do you think he has that'll bring back a top 4 upgrade?

Say we do trade him for a veteran defender, now we start scratching Sustr. We also then have to call up Blunden if a forward is injured. We lose a decent forward and we stagnate Sustr. Sustr then becomes nothing more then a depth defender because he loses valuable development ice time.

So this vet defender helps but we don't win the cup and walks. Sustr becomes Barberio as a #7 only and we lose a potential 2/3 line 20 goal scorer. Just makes no sense to me right now. We should be scratching Morrow/Brown/Barberio and let Connolly/Namestnikov/Paquette all play.

Ok butterfly effect settle down.

I could also win the lottery.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
My take on trading Connolly. Since some of you want to waive him what value do you think he has that'll bring back a top 4 upgrade?

Say we do trade him for a veteran defender, now we start scratching Sustr. We also then have to call up Blunden if a forward is injured. We lose a decent forward and we stagnate Sustr. Sustr then becomes nothing more then a depth defender because he loses valuable development ice time.

So this vet defender helps but we don't win the cup and walks. Sustr becomes Barberio as a #7 only and we lose a potential 2/3 line 20 goal scorer. Just makes no sense to me right now. We should be scratching Morrow/Brown/Barberio and let Connolly/Namestnikov/Paquette all play.

I agree about letting Connolly/Namestnikov/Paquette/Drouin play while scratching the others. They are our most skilled players and need time to develop. Brown and Morrow will never be anything but 4th liners for us. The jury is still out on these other guys. They could be the future of our team. It's way too early to trade one of these guys.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
We certainly have bought ourselves some breathing room with regards to making trades (ie. wait for TDL!). One thing that concerns me is the way our defensemen responded to being pressured in the D-zone before starting the rush. The Sens would send two guys in and one of our 2nd or 3rd pairing guys would always cough the puck up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We certainly have bought ourselves some breathing room with regards to making trades (ie. wait for TDL!). One thing that concerns me is the way our defensemen responded to being pressured in the D-zone before starting the rush. The Sens would send two guys in and one of our 2nd or 3rd pairing guys would always cough the puck up.

I mean, there's an easy solution to this problem.

Play Hedman/Stralman 60 minutes.

But I noticed that too. I was thinking that maybe splitting up Hedman/Stralman would be good just to give us two pairings that aren't complete ass, and save the two of them together when we play teams like the Ducks where there's just one line we REALLY need to shut down. I don't know if that's the right move, though - I think we'll see by game 40 or so that pairing being out there 25+ minutes, though. We haven't really had a shutdown pairing in a long time that we could lean on like that.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
What to do about our d is a big question, on one hand having hedman ans stralman with others could work but on the other hand they are so good together that you really want to see what they can do when they get the chance to play together longer, besides after Stralman having to drag Carle around for 18 games it would be nice to give him break and play with a solid partner who he won't have to keep an eye on every time he's out there and he have earned that, but we do want to make the best choices for the team but I'm going to wait until a few more games have been played to see if playing less will help some of these guys to not suck as much. *fingers crossed*

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I mean, there's an easy solution to this problem.

Play Hedman/Stralman 60 minutes.

But I noticed that too. I was thinking that maybe splitting up Hedman/Stralman would be good just to give us two pairings that aren't complete ass, and save the two of them together when we play teams like the Ducks where there's just one line we REALLY need to shut down. I don't know if that's the right move, though - I think we'll see by game 40 or so that pairing being out there 25+ minutes, though. We haven't really had a shutdown pairing in a long time that we could lean on like that.

I think it's something that could be coached for the time being. I suspect Hedman and Stralman's skill/talent/hIQ is high enough that they can come up with better solutions on the fly, but guys like Gudas, Garrison(maybe, he's been pretty solid lately), and Carle seem like they could manage if they were presented with the scenario in practice and given a method for dealing with it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think it's something that could be coached for the time being. I suspect Hedman and Stralman's skill/talent/hIQ is high enough that they can come up with better solutions on the fly, but guys like Gudas, Garrison(maybe, he's been pretty solid lately), and Carle seem like they could manage if they were presented with the scenario in practice and given a method for dealing with it.

An important thing to consider is that we've played a lot of games in a short period of time recently (10 games in 17 days at one point), which is going to hurt practicing stuff. Later in that stretch is when we really started seeing the cracks, so you may have a point. The schedule gets a bit more manageable now, so it may tighten up a bit.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Sustr had quite a strong game on both side of the ice, love the way he's capable to join the rush.

I was pi**ed first at see the 3rd line with more ice time than the Johnson line but possession numbers definitely proved Cooper right. Filpulla and Co. were really pushing the play forward and the triplets didn't have their best game anyway. Another time where Cooper proves me he knows exactly what he's doing.

Connolly made some annoying gaffes but he looked a lot more comfortable in the 3rd period and finished the game with 5 shots on net / +12 Corsi. I don't think Cooper is going to sit him any time soon.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ottawa desperate for offense with Ryan out long term, could see Yzerman selling high on Connolly right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ottawa desperate for offense with Ryan out long term, could see Yzerman selling high on Connolly right now.

I feel like Connolly's value is so low that it's impossible to sell high on him. Maybe if he can start sponging up some PP points or something. But right now, every fanbase will look at his stats and hold their GM's feet to the fire if he gives up anything significant.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I feel like Connolly's value is so low that it's impossible to sell high on him. Maybe if he can start sponging up some PP points or something. But right now, every fanbase will look at his stats and hold their GM's feet to the fire if he gives up anything significant.

You underestimate the power of the Dark SFY'd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad