Comox Valley

>Live Scores Tracker<

EwE68cN.jpg

Reactions: Sk8M8

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
The Nashville PBP guy calls Åberg "Ay-berg". That's ridiculous. I get that a lot of names might get simplified by announcers, but that's so wrong. You'd think a guy's hometeam announcer would at least make an effort. It's not like ""O-berg" is any tougher to say.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
The Nashville PBP guy calls Åberg "Ay-berg". That's ridiculous. I get that a lot of names might get simplified by announcers, but that's so wrong. You'd think a guy's hometeam announcer would at least make an effort. It's not like ""O-berg" is any tougher to say.

We just sort of ignore all of Willie Daunic's faults, and there are a lot of them. Most of us are just glad they got Chris Mason to replace Stu Grimson. Our broadcast team is still pretty weak, though.

MusicCityPreds

Jul 27, 2015

Aberg told them he wanted it pronounced Ay-Berg and not O-berg. I give Willie a lot of grief, but this one isn't a fault.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We just sort of ignore all of Willie Daunic's faults, and there are a lot of them. Most of us are just glad they got Chris Mason to replace Stu Grimson. Our broadcast team is still pretty weak, though.

I've noticed a lot of the non-traditional market announcers really dumb the game down, this guy is no different. He sounds like he is reading off of a piece of paper.

That's what made Strader so good, he never did that.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think it's more matter of not having much of a pool of talent to choose from than it is purposefully dumbing the game down. Pete Weber was actually pretty good as a PBP guy. His only problem was getting caught up in silly little conversations with Terry Crisp, which was the worst when they would do the un-televised games on the radio. When Pete needed to scale his workload back after his heart attack, they weren't really left with anyone worth a damn. Willie Daunic is a local radio broadcaster and I think he did the radio calls for a season before Pete went to radio, but I'm not sure since I didn't listen to radio broadcasts.

The funny thing is that Willie has wanted to bring a more analytical approach to how he talks about the game this year, but it's usually just some odd-feeling drop-in of some advanced stat without much context. Then again, I ignore the announcers a lot, so maybe I miss the more in-depth stuff (lol).

He has gotten less rigid sounding, though.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Scheduling a Sunday game for 1 PM when the Panthers play at 1 makes you
wonder if Canes management even cares about attendance. Maybe there's a reason I'm not aware of

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Well they don't write the schedule. I'm sure they vocalized their desire to have as few early afternoon Sunday games as possible in the first half of the season.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Aberg told them he wanted it pronounced Ay-Berg and not O-berg. I give Willie a lot of grief, but this one isn't a fault.

That's just the player being nice and not wanting to humiliate anyone or make waves. You see it a lot with Europeans and their names, but in this case it isn't even a matter of difficult pronunciation (that would be getting the "berg" part right, which gets a pass).

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
That's just the player being nice and not wanting to humiliate anyone or make waves. You see it a lot with Europeans and their names, but in this case it isn't even a matter of difficult pronunciation (that would be getting the "berg" part right, which gets a pass).

Well, Daunic was saying it closer to "O-berg" at some point last season. Or maybe that was a national broadcast guy in the playoffs. We've had so many different announcers calling our games since last April it gets confusing.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What a kill. Nordstrom was amazing. Terrible puck movement by the Preds though...Subban couldn't have telegraphed his intentions any harder had he tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad