GDT: 11/25 7:30 Game 21: Bruins Octopi Detroit - NESN, FOX-DETROIT, TVAS, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Red Wings look to solve funk against Bruins

Detroit — There’s a lot to be thankful for when you’re the Red Wings, but the opponent on Thanksgiving Eve might be another matter.

Few teams have given the Red Wings as much difficulty in recent times as the Boston Bruins, who’ll visit Joe Louis Arena on Wednesday.

The Bruins have owned this series lately, winning five consecutive games in the regular season. If you count the 2014 playoffs, they’ve won nine of the last 10.

Boston won the only game thus far this season, Nov. 14, 3-1.

Rebuilding was supposed to be part of the equation for the Bruins, who made some big changes in the off-season.

But considering the Bruins are only one point from the Red Wings in the standings, and on a three-game winning streak, it looks mainly like the same old Bruins.

“Everything comes down to good leadership and the structure they have,†defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. “They have a coach (Claude Julien) who wants them to play a certain way and they know if they play that way, they’ll be successful with it.

“And they have players like (Patrice) Bergeron, (David) Krejci, and (Brad) Marchand, and big (Zdeno) Chara, and (Tuukka) Rask, it’s not like they’ve lost all their pieces.â€

Red Wings getting healthier, balanced scoring recently

That scoring depth Jeff Blashill spoke about at season's start is beginning to show.

The Detroit Red Wings came out of weekend games against big, physical opponents with four points and seven goals. For a team that has gone through some dry spells, seeing six different players score was gratifying.

"I felt it was a strength," Blashill said after Monday's afternoon practice. "It didn't play out that way the first 18 games, but I still think it can be a strength, that we can have depth of scoring throughout the lineup."

Practice was optional, but Blashill said the Wings, "came out of the weekend healthy."

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20152016/[email protected]?1448424942000

Tonight's Officials
Referees Brian Pochmara (16), Dan O'Halloran (13)
Linesmen Scott Cherrey (50), Mark Shewchyk (92)

RED WINGS vs. BRUINS

TONIGHT: 2nd of 4 meetings between DET and BOS this season, 1st of 2 in DET

ALL-TIME vs. BOS: 253-239-95-2 / AT HOME: 159-81-52-1 / LAST 10: 4-5-1 / IN 2014-15: 1-3-1 / THIS SEASON: 0-1-0

DET’s top scorers vs. BOS: Brad Richards (9-24-33 in 42 GP), Mike Green (6-9-15 in 24 GP), Pavel Datsyuk (3-11-14 in 16 GP), Henrik Zetterberg (6-8-14 in 17 GP), Tomas Tatar (4-4-8 in 8 GP)

BOS’s top scorers vs. DET: Loui Eriksson (15-13-28 in 36 GP), Patrice Bergeron (4-5-9 in 17 GP), David Krejci (4-4-8 in 14 GP), Jimmy Hayes (3-3-6 in 15 GP), Brad Marchand (3-3-6 in 14 GP)

NOTES: DET has lost 5 straight to BOS … BOS claimed F Landon Ferraro off waivers from DET on Sunday. Ferraro played 17 NHL games with DET and 270 games with the Grand Rapids Griffins since being drafted in the 2nd round (32nd overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft …

BOS G Jonas Gustavsson made the team as a tryout out of training camp after spending the previous 3 seasons with DET, sporting a 21-10-6 record with a 2.66 GAA and 2 SOs …

BOS D Torey Krug is a Livonia, Mich., native who recorded 83 points (26-57-83) in 114 GP with the Michigan State Spartans from 2009-12 and played for the 2009 USHL Clark Cup champion Indiana Ice under head coach Jeff Blashill …

BOS D Zach Trotman grew up in Novi, Mich., and had 49 points (19-30-49) in 114 games for Lake Superior State University from 2009-12 … BOS F Chris Kelly spent the 2001-02 season with the UHL’s Muskegon Lumberjacks (1-2-3 in 4 GP) and AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins (3-3-6 in 31 GP) …

BOS forwards Jimmy Hayes (2006-08) and Frank Vatrano (2011-13)
are both alumni of the U.S. NTDP (Ann Arbor/Plymouth) … BOS assistant coach Doug Houda had 31 points (5-26-31) in 172 GP with DET from 1985-91/98-99 … BOS goaltending coach Bob Essensa was 4-7-2 with a 2.62 GAA in 13 GP with DET in 1993-94.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Thanks Fenway! Had class last night so this can be the GDT. I'll have one for Friday that I will post later on and you guys can lock until tomorrow night :)

Looking forward to seeing how Ferraro does against his old team.

Go Gus tonight and Tuukka Friday

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If they really wanted to give Monster a start, they should have started him against the Rangers.

The big game is tonight. If you only win one of the next two, tonight is the game you should and have to win.

Strange to start the backup for this very important game... Especially after Rask was the 1st star in the last two games...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
this was an hour ago:

Edit: Not sure why tweet doesn't show:

Boston bruins ‏@nhlbruins 1h1 hour ago

julien did not confirm a starting goaltender for tonight vs. Detroit

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If they really wanted to give Monster a start, they should have started him against the Rangers.

The big game is tonight. If you only win one of the next two, tonight is the game you should and have to win.

Strange to start the backup for this very important game... Especially after Rask was the 1st star in the last two games...

Monster does know the Detroit shooters so.......

Friday afternoon is important as it is a showcase TV game against a top opponent. Another factor is after Friday the Bruins are off until December 2nd and otherwise you are looking to sit Monster until at least the 4th.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Monster does know the Detroit shooters so.......

Friday afternoon is important as it is a showcase TV game against a top opponent. Another factor is after Friday the Bruins are off until December 2nd and otherwise you are looking to sit Monster until at least the 4th.

Friday is a game the Bruins will be underdogs and a win will be an upset.
Tonight is a must win.

I would have started Rask for both. But if you want to give Monster a start, it should have been against the Rangers. He pulls an upset, great. He has a bad game, that was an expected loss anyway.

The most important game between Det and NYR is the one tonight. That's the one your #1 has to play. Let's hope Monster is up to it.

Go Bruins!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Friday is a game the Bruins will be underdogs and a win will be an upset.
Tonight is a must win.

I would have started Rask for both. But if you want to give Monster a start, it should have been against the Rangers. He pulls an upset, great. He has a bad game, that was an expected loss anyway.

The most important game between Det and NYR is the one tonight. That's the one your #1 has to play. Let's hope Monster is up to it.

Go Bruins!

Well said

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I like the Monster starting idea, he does know the tendency of the shooters as he did play with them.

Plus the Friday game is early, smart coaching move.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
they got the points but boy did they look like poo after the first int.

I'm just happy with any kind of win from this team at this moment in time. I'd rather play badly and win than play well and lose :)

I'm into saving Rask for the Rangers. It sends the boys the message that we should be aiming to win the game, not just roll over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad