GDT: 11/24/2014 Minnesota @ Florida - 6:30 PM CST- 2:30 AM Suomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
With Parise being the exception, you can see a difference between highly paid top 6 guys who are too comfortable vs. kids who are always fighting for a top 6 spot and ice time. Koivu, Poms, and Vanek are really getting shown up by the kids. Although it's nice to see that Koivu may have found a new friend (Zucker) to play with in the sandbox.

Good win though. Nice response from the last game.

Which is why it's funny that 2 of those guys are our 2nd and 4th leading scorers on the season.

Not to mention Zucker has played his best this season with Koivu and that's not just because of Zucker.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Only watched the highlights but looked like Nino and Zucker could have scored even more goals with better luck. Looking good!

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'll start calling out more players in my GDTs if this happens every time :laugh: I think I called out Koivu in my 1st GDT too (in the lockout season?) and he scored in the game.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Pommer should change his sticks or something. He's whiffing on so many shots and passes. Completely different scenario than last season, as it was all about his accuracy and reliable release. Prolly a matter of confidence - needs a hot streak.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Zucker and Koivu look really good together.
Coyle was actually pretty good despite the blind pass to no one on the PP, and the blind pass went exactly where spurgeon usually sneaks in from.

Game went how it should have, given the opponent. We did let off the gas at the end or at least became more passive which i did not appreciate. It was Florida, though, not some organized squad that had a set strategy. Essentially it became a gaggle of talented kids just trying whatever they could. No patience. our fans would have loved them.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Zucker and Koivu look really good together.
Coyle was actually pretty good despite the blind pass to no one on the PP, and the blind pass went exactly where spurgeon usually sneaks in from.

Game went how it should have, given the opponent. We did let off the gas at the end or at least became more passive which i did not appreciate. It was Florida, though, not some organized squad that had a set strategy. Essentially it became a gaggle of talented kids just trying whatever they could. No patience. our fans would have loved them.

That's called score effects.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I was really impressed by Florida's players. They are all tall, fast, puck hounds, very physical, and with a varying degree of skill. They look like they could be extremely dangerous in a year or two.

they would be better faster if that team had high-skill examples of how to play on both ends like we do. there's no proof, of course, but as messed up as the Oilers and Avs look I'm convinced the "kids" need mentors.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
That's called score effects.

yeah, and at the beginning of the year we were still playing like it was a tied game at the end. lately we've been sitting back again. i know it's a players natural inclination to concentrate on not making mistakes instead of concentrating on making plays, but we've shown we can fight off that urge.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think the mentors more than anything help the kids from getting too up or too down. When you've been in the NHL for close to a decade it's easier to keep your head on straight vs when you've just made it and are hoping to not get sent to the minors.

Florida reminded me of a CHL all star team. Everyone is young and talented with lots of potential, but kind of spastic and poorly defined roles. They will be fine.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Since we're talking Florida, I'd say I'd probably go the other way with what I seen. A lot of higher profile younger players who were awfully unimpressive. Didn't care for Bjugstad's game and Huberdeau and Barkov were extremely unremarkable. I've hardly ever seen Gubrandson play but thought he was downright bad last night.

On the other end of the spectrum, that was my first time watching Ekbald. He's looks about as smooth, natural, and prototypical of a young defenseman that I've seen since I start watching hockey. He's going to be very good for a long time.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Since we're talking Florida, I'd say I'd probably go the other way with what I seen. A lot of higher profile younger players who were awfully unimpressive. Didn't care for Bjugstad's game and Huberdeau and Barkov were extremely unremarkable. I've hardly ever seen Gubrandson play but thought he was downright bad last night.

On the other end of the spectrum, that was my first time watching Ekbald. He's looks about as smooth, natural, and prototypical of a young defenseman that I've seen since I start watching hockey. He's going to be very good for a long time.

they're not difference makers yet, but they can be. The Oilers youth got results (individually) right away but still this crew reminds me of a mix of them and the Avs'. It's not like they were playing scrubs, no matter how fans here like to spin it, and they didn't give up after it was clear they were outclassed and weren't going to win. they have a nice mix of skills i think. too bad they're in FLA. The physicality was what stood out the most, though. Obviously that's not going to win you games by itself but it did show a certain confidence and it was my biggest complaint about Coyle the first couple years concerning what he was supposed to be doing on the ice. they're just a poorly put together puzzle right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad