Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
2uogca8.png
5th in Central @
4sgw0p.png
7th in Atlantic

nmkadh.png

30k5cgo.png

The Panthers may not have great attendance numbers, but the temperature in Fort Lauderdale is currently well over 80 F, which means I am officially jealous of anyone present at the game.

Lineups (subject to change)

Wild
Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Niederreiter-Koivu-Fontaine
Vanek-Coyle-Zucker
Haula-Carter-Brodziak/Bickell

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Folin
Ballard-Prosser

Bäckström (5 GP, 2-2-0, SV% .890) will start for the Wild

Injured: Brodin, Cooke

Panthers

Bergenheim-Barkov-Boyes
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Upshall
Jokinen-Pirri-Hayes
Kopecky-MacKenzie-Thornton

Mitchell-Kulikov
Campbell-Ekblad
Olsen-Gudbranson

Luongo (15 GP, 6-4-5, SV% .926) will start for the Panthers

Leading scorers:

Wild
Zach Parise, 7-6-13
Nino Niederreiter, 9-3-12
Jason Pominville, 4-8-12

Panthers
Jussi Jokinen, 2-10-12
Nick Bjugstad, 7-4-11
Aaron Ekblad, 2-9-11

Storylines:

- The Wild's power play has been weak all season. Can they improve on their particularly atrocious percentage in away games tonight?

- Mikko Koivu is still looking for his first multi-point game of the season. Is this the night?

- Nino Niederreiter leads the Wild in goals and has potted 4 on the power play. Will he bury another one tonight?

- Minnesota's own Nick Bjugstad has been on a roll for the Panthers lately and has 8 points in the last 5 games. Can the Wild defense keep him at bay?

15qq6v8.jpg

Last edited:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Gotta be careful here. Not necessarily 'must' win but if you lose this one....looking at the rest of the schedule this week it could be a 5 game losing streak. Feels like we haven't gotten a single break on the schedule this year. Next 3 games after are LA, @DAL and STL. My goodness.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Those next games may be tough, but they're all winnable. This isn't the Wild team of years past, this team actually is good, usually.

As for tonight, I'm not sure what to think. We don't see Florida much, but I know a couple of their best players will be fired up playing against old teammates. If we execute our game well, we'll win, if we don't, we won't. Florida is getting better, but they're not as skilled as the Wild, yet. It also wouldn't hurt for Backstrom to look several years younger tonight.

My prediction: 4-3 Wild.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
no must wins at all this early in the season unless you just want to go ahead and cliche it and say "we look at every game as a must win".
a loss would be disappointing though.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
no must wins at all this early in the season unless you just want to go ahead and cliche it and say "we look at every game as a must win".
a loss would be disappointing though.

All games in the Western Conference are must wins IMO especially when we are trailing teams like Nashville by 6 points already thats a team most everyone expected the Wild to finish ahead of this year, If Nashville gets to far ahead, you again will be fighting for a Wild Card spot and not home ice like most people were expecting this year

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
How about this cliche,, "There are no easy games in this league." we're not good enough to look past this game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hopefully bjugstad defects to the wild! cliche WIN BABY WIN! must win 3-1 wild , if not we might be in big trouble in little china.

J22*

Did russo ever address Suter being useless on the PP? Or more that Koivu doesn't shoot

I would hope Russo is smarter than that. The people who think Suter is useless on the PP, have zero understanding of what the Wild are trying to do on the PP.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
I would hope Russo is smarter than that. The people who think Suter is useless on the PP, have zero understanding of what the Wild are trying to do on the PP.

Please enlighten us what they are "trying to do". Because whatever it is, it clearly isn't working.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

whut, you have figured it out?!?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

It would be really awesome if you could explain what it is they are trying to accomplish to the rest of us who have no idea what they're trying to do out there, and how Suter adds to that.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
The thing I really don't understand about Suter is that he actually has a decent slapper, he just never uses it.

J22*

It would be really awesome if you could explain what it is they are trying to accomplish to the rest of us who have no idea what they're trying to do out there, and how Suter adds to that.

The Wild stack the right side (overload for NHL15 fans) with the intention of playing a 3 man game with Parise (goal line) Koivu/Granlund (half wall) and Vanek/Pominville (slot guy). The objective is to create a 2 on 1 advantage out of the Parise/Koivu/Vanek trio.

Parise's role is to take the puck to the front of the net if available, or find Vanek in the slot, or find Koivu in the circle, or find Spurgeon/Pominville (left D) on the backdoor.

Koivu's role is to find Vanek in the slot, either with a pass or shot for a tip, or find Pomniville on the seam, or look for a shot from the circle, or move it high or low to Parise/Suter.

Vaneks role is to screen the goalie and/or find space in front of the net.

Pominville/Spurgeons role is the SHOOTER up high or try to find space all the way down to the backdoor.

Suter's role is basically the safety valve or reset button. Being a left shot on the right point with the PP being run on the right side means that he will rarely be in a position to take a 1 timer, and frankly, if he shoots at all it's most likely because the others are failling at their job. PK units will give any dman in the league the type of shots available to Suter, and would love to see him wind up for a slapper(easy block).

IMO- the major problem with the PP is the fact that Parise, and Koivu/Granlund constantly retreat to the corner/boards the second they get the puck and then refuse to try and force the issue. Those three basically just stand there with the puck waiting for the PK to make a mistake.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014

Either gets his point shot blocked or passes it for telegraphed one timers from bad angles. He's never in a hurry to make a play, just stand around

J22*

Either gets his point shot blocked or passes it for telegraphed one timers from bad angles. He's never in a hurry to make a play, just stand around

That's the one complaint about Suter on the PP that I can agree with. Being to casual or patient with the puck is a problem with just about everybody on the PP though.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
As great of a beat writer is, he will never criticize Prince Koivu. It's almost as mind boggling as Koivu's refusal to shoot the puck in high percentage areas of the ice.

Wait, what? He's criticized him plenty in the last month or so. I don't know if it's been in print or on Twitter, but on KFAN he's been critical enough to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad