Post-Game Talk: 11/21/17 | Canucks 5 @ Flyers 2

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team continues to defy expectations. Especially being this good on the road. Have to admit that they did make too many turnovers at their line and Markstrom had to be sharp but still a win is a win

Good

Markstrom - when we look at some of the goal tending around the League we have to happy with how Markstrom is playing. Glad we didn't play him last year as he would have screwed up our draft possibilities more than they were. Only thing getting by him tonight were tips around the net.

Boeser - easily could have had hat trick. Guy looks like a game changer.

Hutton - getting the puck out of his very efficiently. Probably the best of the defense men.

Not Good

Pouliot - thought he continued to struggle. Doesn't want to play the body and that is becoming obvious

Others

Gaunce - that has to be his best game. Skating was better and even packed the puck some. Earned lots of chances and you have to think some of them will start to go in. Was at least adequate on the PK. Maybe better long term than Gagner

Eriksson - couple of very bad turnovers leading to breakaways or near breakaways marred an otherwise good performance. Greatly improved over the last while. Is helping give the team something of third line.

Vanek - like Eriksson was very effective in certain parts of the game but again with the turnovers at his line.

Biega - is such a work horse. I think he is showing he is a legit NHL defenseman.

Sedins - had an effective game but IMO need to show more intensity on the PP. Got too slow at times and forced into bad plays

Gudbranson - provided some toughness around his net but also let players get around him off the rush.

Baertschi - pretty good but felt if he had been smarter with his puck movement (or quicker) and been cleaner handling the puck the line could have better exploited the Flyer defense (which was darn poor)

Granlund - better effort. More involved in the play and had some good chances.

Virtanen - does he really suit playing with the Sedins??? Think that's an open question. Same old, same old - how do you take full advantage of all that natural ability?

Edler - not you ideal point man on the PP but maybe the best the team has. Logged heavy minutes and was looking somewhat quicker.

Overall the team did give up too many chances and were out played badly at times but at others put together some good plays and competed hard. (kind of counter punched) Being a middle of the pack team was more than most expected.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it OK yet to be getting seriously pumped about some of the young players the Canucks have coming?....Boeser has arrived, but what about Pettersson and Gaudette? down the middle and Lind and Gadjovich along the wall.....this Canuck team could have some serious giddyup...and not to forget that Horvat is still only 22.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Is it OK yet to be getting seriously pumped about some of the young players the Canucks have coming?....Boeser has arrived, but what about Pettersson and Gaudette? down the middle and Lind and Gadjovich along the wall.....this Canuck team could have some serious giddyup...and not to forget that Horvat is still only 22.

O yeah for sure. Didnt think Boeser would be this good this soon. And didnt think Horvat would improve so much every season for 4 years now. Baertchi too. Exciting times. Of the guys you mentioned i think only Gad is the only really non guarantee at this point but is TRENDING in the right direction

Reactions: Jack Burton

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So of rookies Boeser is

1st in PPG
2nd in PTS
1st in GWG
1st in Style
2nd in Goals
4th in assists

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.06.33 PM.png

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

It's always ok for fans to get pumped. Those that can, more power to them.

I'm not among them. To me, it remains to be seen how effective Boeser, Horvat and Virtanen will be and Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich are just exciting prospects unless and until they succeed in the NHL. It is way too early to conclude they, as a group, will continue successfully in the NHL-but there's nothing wrong with dreaming about the possibility.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Provorov is a beast of a Dman.
Philly are a one line/one dman team.
Their goalies are like a box of chocolates.

Completely consistent with my previous viewings if this team this season.
They are not a good team.

The posters looking at a piece of paper trying to claim otherwise was laughable.

People get sooo caught up in micro-analyzing our team they completely lose perspective of what the rest of the league actually looks like.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The last year they had TOP notch goaltending was when the GM was their keeper. He won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort.

He also led them to the 1997 Finals as well.
But goaltending has been Philly’s biggest weakness for years...down the line.

Cechmanek, Eache, Nittymaki, Leighton..they had Bobvrovsky but traded him to Columbus.

M2B

Oct 6, 2017
Nice to see Loui get the empty better. He's been really good since his return

First goal last season was an own goal on an EN. First goal this season was on an EN, but on the right end. This is a precursor to a big bounce back year.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Up front is exciting. Defense... Not so much

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Up front is exciting. Defense... Not so much
Yeah it's looking good with forwards and goaltending. Still some work on defense. For some reason over the years Van has been pretty good at getting defensemen with later picks (Edler) or even undrafted (Tanev and Stecher) but a true number one is usually only acquired with a higher pick in the draft.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm rewatching last nights game after only being able to sporadically being able to watch two or three minutes at a time last night. I got what I wanted, which was an entertaining game, and some points from Boeser and Vanek (my Canucks in my pool this year).

Philidelphia's lack of middle talent is obvious though. Provorov, Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds...Patrick...and then there is a big drop off in talent. They're young, and I think they will recover, but as hard as they fought, the Canucks seemed to have their number.

I didn't notice anyone having an especially bad game on our end, some had better games then others, but if you took out the goals, I'd say our offense was very well rounded and consistent, not just the Sedins, Horvat and Boeser. We needed a game like this, where we can press offensively through out the line up.

I hope to see the same effort and the same result with tonights game.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Boeser is going to be (already is?) such a stud for us. His shot is ridiculously good and he’s getting better by the game. Bo and Sven are good too, especially Bo, but Boeser is the #1 guy. Him and Bo, Pettersson and Dahlèn (hopefully) will be such a good forward core.

Sedins and Loui played well again. Was nice to see some vintage Sedinery on the goals and Loui has been very good since he returned from injury.

Pouliot bounces back, Guddy played OK, Edler hit some pads. Overall OK on D, but man Tanev is missed.

Marky played very well. As usual, he reacts well to being challenged (Nilsson playing 2 out of the previous 3). He’s not going to give the net up easily.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Boeser to going to be elite for a long time. His shot is off the charts already. Horvat/Boeser are looking like they are going to form an amazing line. Plug whatever other complementary player with them and production will follow.

Desperately need Pettersson to form a second line with another player of the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad