GDT: 11/21/16 - Wild @ Stars - 7:30 PM CT / 3:30 AM Suomi - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

afcyung

Apr 2, 2016
Here is what I don't understand. How do you not put Nino out there. the only guy with a multi-point game and he doesn't see the ice.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, at least we got a point. Another one of those nights where our passes were off a lot of the time. Graovac's play was encouraging. He looked strong, fast, and willing.

Hopefully Parise can get his game together soon. We need him, or at least, we need the version of him that scores goals.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Well, at least we got a point. Another one of those nights where our passes were off a lot of the time. Graovac's play was encouraging. He looked strong, fast, and willing.
I worry that he is going to turn into another elite checker/grinder, of which we now have about a dozen.

This team has so many great role players. It basically has everything you need to win a cup, except for the guys who score.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I worry that he is going to turn into another elite checker/grinder, of which we now have about a dozen.

This team has so many great role players. It basically has everything you need to win a cup, except for the guys who score.

What do you mean you worry? That is what Graovac is. Always has been. Going to have wait for a long time. The Wild don't draft those scoring types. Haven't you figured that out over the last 15 years.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
That saucer pass by Granny was filthy. Vintage Bruce.

Another thought: Would be great if Koivu did something in the offensive end for a change. He's on pace for 32 points. Sad!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't mind seeing Haula with second line minutes( better linemates, some PP time). He would need some time to adjust from the checking/Yeobot role he has been asked to perform since coming to the pros. He was a terrific scorer in college. Maybe a Haula, Granlund, Nino type thing.

Longshot, I know. For a seventh rounder, I am thrilled that he is a decent 3C.

At this point, though, we are really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. We are the very definition of a mediocre team, albeit one with excellent goaltending and coaching. I think BB is seeing pretty clearly what is going on, and what is needed. As an ex scorer, he understands it's not all about defensive responsibility, size, and systems. A team has to be dangerous offensively, and be able to score at any moment. We can't. We don't have scorers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker had less than 10 minutes TOI. He seems to be going downhill with the wind, though I don't know how you can expect him to produce much while playing with Stewart and Mitchell. The latter doesn't look bad...just doesn't look like anything. Sort of like a poor man's Fontaine, speaking of which, where's he?

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I wouldn't mind seeing Haula with second line minutes( better linemates, some PP time). He would need some time to adjust from the checking/Yeobot role he has been asked to perform since coming to the pros. He was a terrific scorer in college. Maybe a Haula, Granlund, Nino type thing.

Longshot, I know. For a seventh rounder, I am thrilled that he is a decent 3C.

At this point, though, we are really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. We are the very definition of a mediocre team, albeit one with excellent goaltending and coaching. I think BB is seeing pretty clearly what is going on, and what is needed. As an ex scorer, he understands it's not all about defensive responsibility, size, and systems. A team has to be dangerous offensively, and be able to score at any moment. We can't. We don't have scorers.

I don't know if I'd call us mediocre, but I agree that we can never take the next step unless we find real offensive talent somewhere. This is not a Cup contender roster, but it's not that far from it. We have the #1 goalie, we have the #1 D and a good group of defensemen. We don't have a real #1 center, we don't have real dynamic 1st liners but we have many good forwards. Just one elite offensive guy could change the whole dynamic.

I know how hard it is to trade for such a player, but I'm ready for Fletcher to make that trade, even if it costs us a lot. Can you imagine a guy like Tavares added on this roster? Instant contender.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Zucker had less than 10 minutes TOI. He seems to be going downhill with the wind, though I don't know how you can expect him to produce much while playing with Stewart and Mitchell. The latter doesn't look bad...just doesn't look like anything. Sort of like a poor man's Fontaine, speaking of which, where's he?

Putting up .5 PPG playing for NYR's AHL affiliate in Hartford.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't know if I'd call us mediocre, but I agree that we can never take the next step unless we find real offensive talent somewhere. This is not a Cup contender roster, but it's not that far from it. We have the #1 goalie, we have the #1 D and a good group of defensemen. We don't have a real #1 center, we don't have real dynamic 1st liners but we have many good forwards. Just one elite offensive guy could change the whole dynamic.

I know how hard it is to trade for such a player, but I'm ready for Fletcher to make that trade, even if it costs us a lot. Can you imagine a guy like Tavares added on this roster? Instant contender.

Depending on which 3 or 4 highly valuable pieces would be leaving.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Well, Parise was supposed to be that guy. A Tavares or Pavelski, or whomever is simply going to cost us too much. We need to either find a talented guy with "issues" ( I.e. Johansen last year, maybe Kuznetsov this year?) at a lesser price( I.e. Top 4 Dman, plus a forward not named Nino, Coyle...maybe Granlund)who performs well after relocating.

Trade Spurgeon + Zucker/Haula for Kuznetsov? Risky, but I think we could afford it. Throw in Zucker if need be. I'm not saying Kuznetsov should be a trade target, but you get the idea.

Probably the most realistic way to get our high end guy is trade for a guy who isn't yet high end. Risky though. Remember when Strome was considered " all that" a couple of years ago, and would have been insanely expensive to acquire? Now, he could probably be had for half the price, but who even wants him?

But I do think that we are a mediocre team right now. I believe the NMC's handed out to the players on this team have created a class system where said players are untouchable, and less likely to be held accountable than the others, let alone be traded if their work isn't up to snuff. Who are these stalwarts? Parise, Suter, Koivu, and Pominville( soon to be Spurgeon).Of the four, only Suter is earning his money right now. Does anyone see them playing with desperation? Has ANY of them ever been benched?

Right now, the only one of our " leaders" who is leading is Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad