Post-Game Talk: 11/16/17 | VGK 5 @ Canucks 2

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler has been a good soldier for this team for years. He plays big minutes against top player on a nightly basis. Calling him lazy is a bit disrespectful imo.

The definition of lazy is Vanek. No playoff team is going to give anything decent for him.

Edler can absolutely be a lazy player. He basically quit on the team in 13-14 and the effort level he put in in the 2nd half of that season was a complete joke. Likewise, in the past couple seasons when the team has been out of contention past the trade deadline he's completely mailed it in.

He isn't consistently lazy, though. When things are right, he puts in an honest effort.

I don't think effort level is the issue right now, though. He looks like an over-30 player who rushed back from a knee injury and is lacking his normal speed and mobility.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Edler is lazy, he's always been lazy (I once had to hold the door for him in Blaine because he was talking on his phone and had just bought a coffee, I closed the door and saw his giant frame on the other side of the gas station entrance looking at me like
"What am I going to do! You've stranded me!" So I opened the door for him, he wasn't a jerk and said "Thanks" but you get the feeling this was a guy who played his parents like a fiddle.

The whole reason he won't accept a trade is that he's too lazy to move, it has NOTHING to do with hockey, that's why Torts hated him.

He's probably a good guy, but he's the worst kind of veteran leader you could have,

He needs to be forced to leave
Yepp i have wanted him gone for a long time.Sit his ass in the press box.He will eventually get the hint.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Edler is lazy, he's always been lazy (I once had to hold the door for him in Blaine because he was talking on his phone and had just bought a coffee, I closed the door and saw his giant frame on the other side of the gas station entrance looking at me like
"What am I going to do! You've stranded me!" So I opened the door for him, he wasn't a jerk and said "Thanks" but you get the feeling this was a guy who played his parents like a fiddle.

The whole reason he won't accept a trade is that he's too lazy to move, it has NOTHING to do with hockey, that's why Torts hated him.

He's probably a good guy, but he's the worst kind of veteran leader you could have,

He needs to be forced to leave

lol I don't know about your story but I can't really disagree with your description of his personality. I've kinda always got an entitled shithead vibe from him. Or like an aloof cool guy, or something. Definitely not personally likeable. It's hard for fans to know the truth since he's been a cipher as long as he's been playing for the Canucks. It wouldn't hurt to do a bit more media stuff maybe??

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I saw Edler eating at a Mcdonalds on Marine Drive in Vancouver. He had two big macs. he ate 1 big mac in 2 bites. The second sandwich took 3 bites.
He took his tray to the garbage and a few pieces of garbage fell onto the floor but he just walked away and got into a black BMW.

thats my only Edler story.... oh ya...but one time in the playoffs he torpedo'd Drew Doughty. That was cool

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It was a crappy game,and the Canucks had a very off night (the pitchforks are out, and lots of rash statements being made)..The Ducks game last week was similar..At this time of year,there's all sorts of bizarre scores from around the league....Its a long season..Fortunately,the team has demonstrated an ability to bounce back under coach Green this season..

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
No two ways about it, this is not a good team. At their best, when everyone is healthy, the effort is there and all the bounces are going their way... they can beat a team that doesn't have those factors going for them.

We should not be talking about making the playoffs. That way leads to madness.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Looks like Virtanen is back in the lineup..Lines at practice today

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen
Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett
Vanek - Gagner - Eriksson

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Edler seriously has it made. He can play however he wants, her paid great and not have to deal with any media about his play after.

Clock in, get some money and clock out. Why put in any extra effort?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Edler seriously has it made. He can play however he wants, her paid great and not have to deal with any media about his play after.

Have wanted him traded for years but of course he is the guy who will never waive. Classic example of a guy who is way too comfortable and doesn't feel the need to put out more than he wants to.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Have wanted him traded for years but of course he is the guy who will never waive. Classic example of a guy who is way too comfortable and doesn't feel the need to put out more than he wants to.

He’s the exact kind of employee we all complain about at work - minimum effort and no f***s to give.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Has there ever been an official explanation about why he never does interviews?

The guy is the longest-serving Canuck aside from the Sedins, is one of the team's more prominent and highest-paid players, and I don't think I've seen him interviewed in 12 years. No idea what his voice even sounds like.

It seems like something that should be more of a thing, but I've never seen it commented on anywhere with any sort of reason for it.

Reactions: Peen

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Well you know he ain't going to be put with Horvat - that don't leave alot of other appealing options for the kid.

lol that's so true. I was thinking I would like to see him on a more up tempo line to work better with his speed but then I looked at the forward group.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

The guy is the longest-serving Canuck aside from the Sedins, is one of the team's more prominent and highest-paid players, and I don't think I've seen him interviewed in 12 years. No idea what his voice even sounds like.

It seems like something that should be more of a thing, but I've never seen it commented on anywhere with any sort of reason for it.
He used to do post-game interviews sometimes. I can't speak for the last few years since I haven't paid any attention to sportsnet's pre/post-game and intermission stuff, but it has seemed like he has avoided the media since the team stopped being good.

(skip to 25 seconds)

(skip to 5:26)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well you know he ain't going to be put with Horvat - that don't leave alot of other appealing options for the kid.
Seem set with the B line, the swedish line and checking line.

Leaves a grouping of vanek, gagner, burm, Virtanen, and whichever of granny or gaunce isn't on the checking line to make up the last line.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

/shrugs. I am pretty sure he is just a quiet, private guy. Not unlike Mats Sundin.

Reactions: Nuckles

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually find Edler oddly comical, endearing, and relateable for the exact reasons people dislike him. If I were a hockey player and I could get away with it, I'd want it in my contract to never talk to media, too.

He's also oddly the best case scenario player for a team who's rebuilding. He plays great, smart, and reliable hockey when the games matter, and almost seems to make it his mission to mail it in and completely and single-handedly sink the team when it stinks, as if he was taking part in the most passive protest imaginable. It's kind of funny.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sports unfortunately has a long history of demonizing introverted players. Guys who are quiet and do not want to talk to the media are often singled out as "cancers" in the locker room, as if the team would be well-served by having a locker room where every player is trying to be the alpha leader.

Not saying that is the case with Edler, but some of the derision towards him smacks of the same kind of bias.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
That's awesome, I wonder if we will see A goal this year from Gaunce. And the coach says Jake has to move his feet.

I really want Gaunce to stick, I hope he picks it up

Liting it up in the "A" he MUST have it in him somewhere

And it's been so long since a first rounder was just a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia