Post-Game Talk: 11/16/17 | VGK 5 @ Canucks 2

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Sports unfortunately has a long history of demonizing introverted players. Guys who are quiet and do not want to talk to the media are often singled out as "cancers" in the locker room, as if the team would be well-served by having a locker room where every player is trying to be the alpha leader.

Not saying that is the case with Edler, but some of the derision towards him smacks of the same kind of bias.

my resentment towards him is more centered around his stupid handsome face and stylish clothes. If that's just what swedish introverts look like I guess I should rethink my opinion

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Sports unfortunately has a long history of demonizing introverted players. Guys who are quiet and do not want to talk to the media are often singled out as "cancers" in the locker room, as if the team would be well-served by having a locker room where every player is trying to be the alpha leader.

Not saying that is the case with Edler, but some of the derision towards him smacks of the same kind of bias.

What utter B.S

Poor little Edler is getting bullied for being quiet off the ice?

BS he's being critiqued for being lazy ON THE ICE

Nice try, why do people like you love dishonesty so much?

Do you get paid by the lie or something?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What utter B.S

Poor little Edler is getting bullied for being quiet off the ice?

BS he's being critiqued for being lazy ON THE ICE

Nice try, why do people like you love dishonesty so much?

Do you get paid by the lie or something?

Just a sad response by someone with more anger than reading comprehension.

Stay in school, kids.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The trust level was earned plying his trade in the AHL Working hard in practice, not complaining about all the snow and the bitter cold January winds in the Mohawk Valley for two years. The usual hockey coach stuff. Obviously Benning is completely hands off when it comes to developing young players.

You have the reclaimed Baertschi, the rescued from the scrap heap Markstrom, and the current revival of Jake that you are all demanding be in the lineup because many of you insist he has been the best forward on the ice in several of his starts despite the numbers being pout up by the Bs line, all precisely due to the hands on of Green with all 3 in Utica. In spite of all the anger at Boeser sitting the 1st 2 games he hasn't done so badly by him. You have your B sharps line that everyone cried for and they have received lots of PP time. You have Pouliot in the lineup, another Benning reclamation project. The Granlund (another) fans have seen him lead the team in ice time most games. Hutton has received a ton of ice and also gets PP time along with Pouliot. What other young players do the Canucks have for Cripe's sake?

If Benning hadn't signed dead wood like Gagner for 3 years, you'd have Goldobin in the lineup. Vanek will be tradeable at the TDL if he continues to quietly rack up points. Eriksson and Sutter are huge detriments to youth.

Benning moves will continue to be the Achilles heel to youth next year as well since you have more kids coming in Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Lind, Lockwood, etc. and vets in most of the slots they need to fill (some of these guys should end up in Utica, but top end kids haven't made it there yet and the swedes will have their NHL or bust back to Sweden outs) and they are not exactly high commodities on the trade block. Crazy, but he isn't done adding vets yet either. Look for the Kane acquisition to eat up another spot for eons. There are more out there he is licking his chops over as well and the current slide is bound to make him even more itchy to make a move and he might just use some of that youth to do it. After all this team has shown signs of definitely being a playoff team. Right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
/shrugs. I am pretty sure he is just a quiet, private guy. Not unlike Mats Sundin.

Sundin did quite a few interviews.

I'm not criticizing him for it, I'm just saying it's odd how nothing has been made about one of our top players having zero media presence for such a long time, especially in the current Twitter-dominated age.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No he means they're always fabulous.

I think you know he is saying this team can't play average for themselves. They have to play at the very top of their game because an average effort for them looks like last night.

Unfortunately this is an NHL team, most with hefty contracts win or lose. Thus, getting them to bust their nuts every single night isn't going to happen.

The Vegas coach can get that effort because most of his team is all still trying to establish themselves as permanent fixtures in the league and their team. The door out of Vegas swings just as easily as it did on the way in. There will be big turnover there for quite a few seasons before that roster is solidified.

This is just one more reason for the Canucks to start piling up youth on the roster to replace the old dead wood. The kids will give Green the effort he wants every night. The fat cats just lay down when it's too much effort every night. they will come and go as their energy levels ebb and flow. The young guys catch on to that as well. Real character guys are needed to set the hard work every shift every game example and they are hard to find. Biega is one, but you need guys higher up on the food chain to chip in for it to work. I really think Tanev is another. Vets up front who can be counted on like that? Don't list the Sedins because their day for that is past. Locker room leadership yes, the all out effort on the ice isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Jack Burton

cc

Feb 28, 2002

Tanev is also introverted but he's my favorite player on the team. I think most people could care less about what Edler is like off the ice. it was really after what appears to be poor showing or effort do people notice that he doesn't seem to do interviews to discuss his poor play. Its a perceived lack of verbal accountability that people are looking at closely

May 31, 2006
Pretty sure Edler is usually interviewed after games where he scores an important goal.

Just that reporters just normally don't to him to ask questions, since he's boring as f***.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure Edler is usually interviewed after games where he scores an important goal.

Just that reporters just normally don't to him to ask questions, since he's boring as ****.
Considering that virtually every player is a boring interview (especially a guy like Tanev, who isn't any better at that stuff than Edler), I doubt that this is the reason.

There must be an understanding of some sort, where everyone just knows that he doesn't do interviews unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I thought pouliot had a good game until that turnover...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Tanev is also introverted but he's my favorite player on the team. I think most people could care less about what Edler is like off the ice. it was really after what appears to be poor showing or effort do people notice that he doesn't seem to do interviews to discuss his poor play. Its a perceived lack of verbal accountability that people are looking at closely

I have read a lot of hate for Alex Edler on here the last two months. Far, far, far more than is warranted by his on-ice play.

Granted some of it is for absurdly childish things like "his shot hits legs" but there is something more to it that I can't really explain otherwise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have read a lot of hate for Alex Edler on here the last two months. Far, far, far more than is warranted by his on-ice play.

Granted some of it is for absurdly childish things like "his shot hits legs" but there is something more to it that I can't really explain otherwise.
Most likely people here want a refresh or restart and the twins and Edler represent the old guard. Them remaining here seems to have management thinking about being competitive rather than rebuild.

But, ultimately, it was the old regime who signed them to ntc contracts. So, they have the right to say no to a trade.

Edler, it should come to a head this summer. That's the earliest he can sign a new deal. Up to the Canucks to tell him no deal is coming. So, either play out the contract and how he puts up a good year to secure a contract or he agrees to a trade with a team around the draft that will give him a contract. Get the security but have to leave Vancouver a year earlier.

His choice.

Reactions: MS

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Considering that virtually every player is a boring interview (especially a guy like Tanev, who isn't any better at that stuff than Edler), I doubt that this is the reason.

There must be an understanding of some sort, where everyone just knows that he doesn't do interviews unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Very few players are good interviews. Obviously seems to be the go to word for most of them at about 90 per interview.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Familiarity breeds contempt?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

How is that childish? Shooting past legs is a skill and one that Edler is woefully deficient at despite having been a staple on our PP’s for nearly a decade. Why is it “childish” for fans to be frustrated by this?

Honestly you seem to be reading these criticisms almost as if you want to see some sort of bias.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Has there ever been an official explanation about why he never does interviews?

The guy is the longest-serving Canuck aside from the Sedins, is one of the team's more prominent and highest-paid players, and I don't think I've seen him interviewed in 12 years. No idea what his voice even sounds like.

It seems like something that should be more of a thing, but I've never seen it commented on anywhere with any sort of reason for it.

I remember being shocked that this was done and uploaded.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Has there ever been an official explanation about why he never does interviews?

The guy is the longest-serving Canuck aside from the Sedins, is one of the team's more prominent and highest-paid players, and I don't think I've seen him interviewed in 12 years. No idea what his voice even sounds like.

It seems like something that should be more of a thing, but I've never seen it commented on anywhere with any sort of reason for it.

Honestly blame either. I’ve always found it extremely weird. I also wonder the hell he’d gotten away with it for so long.

Maybe he’s just that boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad