Recalled/Assigned: 11/12 Grosenick to SJ (Dell to Worcester); Stalock to IR

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
It's very, very, very rare that I'd suggest giving a goalie back to back starts...this would be one of those times I'd suggest it.

meh, I wouldn't mind him playing in the second of the B2B. If Niemi performs against Tampa and Columbus like he has these last few games, might as well put Grosenick in to start the second of the B2B. There are certainly more difficult teams to have your first start against than Carolina, a taste of the NHL will be good for his development.

On the other hand, the Sharks floating around the .500 mark makes me nervous about playoff chances. I don't want to see them lose points on games they SHOULD win on account of a rookie goalie who shouldn't be playing...

I don't know, not feeling too hot about the Sharks right now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
meh, I wouldn't mind him playing in the second of the B2B. If Niemi performs against Tampa and Columbus like he has these last few games, might as well put Grosenick in to start the second of the B2B. There are certainly more difficult teams to have your first start against than Carolina, a taste of the NHL will be good for his development.

On the other hand, the Sharks floating around the .500 mark makes me nervous about playoff chances. I don't want to see them lose points on games they SHOULD win on account of a rookie goalie who shouldn't be playing...

I don't know, not feeling too hot about the Sharks right now.

Considering that we are just under a quarter of the way into the season, making the playoffs is becoming a real concern. Pretty sad that the team is so inconsistent when they can play world class one night and McDavid hockey the next day.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Curtis Pashelka @CurtisPashelka
#SJSharks Alex Stalock had minor knee surgery today in Bay Area, per team spokesman

So it is an actual lower body injury...sucks for him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm bummed for Al and hope he recovers quickly, but I'm selfishly hoping Grosenick gets into a game because he's been a joy to watch in the AHL. Probably the prospect of ours that I'm rooting the hardest for.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm bummed for Al and hope he recovers quickly, but I'm selfishly hoping Grosenick gets into a game because he's been a joy to watch in the AHL. Probably the prospect of ours that I'm rooting the hardest for.

I'm rooting for the german guy the most.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
With so many calling for the trading of Niemi, perhaps Grosenick should get a start to see what he's got at the NHL.

(You know the team will be playing for him.)

[nhl]670028[/nhl]

He can barely contain his smile. "I set like 7 alarms".

I'll happily defer to the people who see him regularly, and say he's not ready, but I'd love to see him get a start regardless. Niemi has been infuriatingly inconsistent. You can never really know how an untested player will react to a big challenge.

BTW, what happened to that endless Sharks' goalie depth I was hearing about a few seasons ago? So hard to project players, but goalies are by far the most difficult.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
I say play him, what's the worst that could happen? At least it's something to look forward to unlike the last few games.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He can barely contain his smile. "I set like 7 alarms".

I'll happily defer to the people who see him regularly, and say he's not ready, but I'd love to see him get a start regardless. Niemi has been infuriatingly inconsistent. You can never really know how an untested player will react to a big challenge.

BTW, what happened to that endless Sharks' goalie depth I was hearing about a few seasons ago? So hard to project players, but goalies are by far the most difficult.

Grosenick could certainly step into an NHL game and play well, it wouldn't surprise me too much but his flaws are exploited in the AHL and I can't imagine what NHLers would do to him.

If Stalock is gonna be out a few weeks I have to think he'll get into a game/s, hopefully he makes the most of it.

As for goalie depth, it's pretty much gone. Sateri & Stalock were both considered above average prospects but Sateri's development went a bit sideways and Stalock got hurt and now at the age of 27 is playing in just his 2nd NHL season.

I do think Bergvik has the tools to be a very good goalie but he's a couple of years away from knowing which way he'll go. Also, you're right, projecting goalies is an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Greiss backing up in Pittsburgh after becoming UFA.

Sateri in Europe.

Etc.

Sharks haven't had a "can't miss" prospect since Strelow's death, IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad