GDT: 11/10/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Ottawa vs Tampa Bay

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Well, that was poop. :thumbd:

The "top" line was mostly invisible.

Hedman was the only D who looked competent tonight. And that was only until the 3rd period. :facepalm:

Girardi was a tire fire. Even McDonagh looked human.:( Pairs got shuffled like a deck of cards which doesn't help.

Get well soon, Stråls! :puppy:

Reactions: DaBolts

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They earned it :sarcasm:

XPq4H4B.jpg
Damn, that's even more prestigious than the regular season champions banner New Jersey got last year.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Well, that was poop. :thumbd:

The "top" line was mostly invisible.

Hedman was the only D who looked competent tonight. And that was only until the 3rd period. :facepalm:

Girardi was a tire fire. Even McDonagh looked human.:( Pairs got shuffled like a deck of cards which doesn't help.

Get well soon, Stråls! :puppy:
yeah so the D paris did change a lot, right? cuz I was thinking I was just misreading the numbers again...(27-77. 5-6 is always confusing to me from the camera, lol!)
This is a mere hindsight but could have gone with 77-27 since the rest hadn't been broken and that could have been the closest we get to the good defense we had without Heddy. Plus if you do want to try something, you won't get 77-27 much if Strals is back.

That card shuffling did make us look bored and motivated the Sens to entertain us IMOo_O

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Cally was invisible tonight, I'm not sure I heard his name called once, for anything..

Can anyone actually confirm his presence in the game?

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Cally was invisible tonight, I'm not sure I heard his name called once, for anything..

Can anyone actually confirm his presence in the game?
I've seen his face,for sure.Did his PK job as usual, I suppose. BUT it's not only him who was hiding. Our entire lines except the 7s line(plus Yanni maybe) was playing hide and seek, not hockey last night.Remember even Killer from the 7s was found in the opponent's goal.

Reactions: JDBolt

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Ottawa on average have faced 40 shots a game, last night we gave them a massive 28 to deal with:laugh:

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Ottawa on average have faced 40 shots a game, last night we gave them a massive 28 to deal with:laugh:
Crazy we got so few off, it seemed like we dominated them in the second. Not 33 SOG Chicago-style, but I feel like we had control for the majority of it. Lots of near misses, I guess..

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Hey Im not a Tampa fan and all but guys, a healthy correction like that is needed every once in a while. The guys didnt feel like playing, it happens, its normal. Embrace it and have a great Sunday

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It goes to show you that when you take the gas off the pedal or turn off the switch in this league it can turn around a game like that. As much as we joke about how the “bad” teams are the “bad” teams they still are among the best players in the world and will take advantage of any opportunities that are presented.

Guys need to stay on top of their game for most of the game or similar results happen. Usually Vasi bails us out when we don’t but didn’t this time. Move on to the next game and need to be sharper in our own ends in the beginning of the game better because we seem to settle in and play our game as the game moves on, just need to start on time.

Reactions: Maelmoor

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Vasi said last year he was getting tired towards the end of the season. I hope we don't make the same mistake of overplaying him this year. We should give Domingue some more starts this year.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
yeah so the D paris did change a lot, right? cuz I was thinking I was just misreading the numbers again...(27-77. 5-6 is always confusing to me from the camera, lol!)
This is a mere hindsight but could have gone with 77-27 since the rest hadn't been broken and that could have been the closest we get to the good defense we had without Heddy. Plus if you do want to try something, you won't get 77-27 much if Strals is back.

That card shuffling did make us look bored and motivated the Sens to entertain us IMOo_O

TBF I dont think our D was that bad either. Not terrific but it was okay.

Vasi couldn't stop a beach ball. Fire Cooper.

Actually, now that I've had some time to cool off, y'all are right in that the D really wasn't a total disaster until the 3rd period. Coburn looked pretty solid again with yet another goal. o_O Whatever the heck he did during the summer, he's skating like he did when we first got him. Hedman had that beautiful goal of gloriousness. :heart: Mac made a couple 'I'm keeping the damn puck in or I'm taking it away from you whether you like it or not' plays. The kids did okay. It's just that everything seemed to go to hell in that 3rd period. Heddy I excuse because he was coming back from an injury and even the Iron Viking Deity of Thunder needs a little time to readjust to the full 60 min. game.

It's just that the team has been doing so well defensively and they looked so incredibly average/below average during that last 20 min. :(

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Actually, now that I've had some time to cool off, y'all are right in that the D really wasn't a total disaster until the 3rd period. Coburn looked pretty solid again with yet another goal. o_O Whatever the heck he did during the summer, he's skating like he did when we first got him. Hedman had that beautiful goal of gloriousness. :heart: Mac made a couple 'I'm keeping the damn puck in or I'm taking it away from you whether you like it or not' plays. The kids did okay. It's just that everything seemed to go to hell in that 3rd period. Heddy I excuse because he was coming back from an injury and even the Iron Viking Deity of Thunder needs a little time to readjust to the full 60 min. game.

It's just that the team has been doing so well defensively and they looked so incredibly average/below average during that last 20 min. :(

Vasy was really bad though. Even shots he stopped were bouncing off him, which goes a long way to killing a defense.

I think we have to find a balance between letting off the gas, which every team does, and letting ourselves get shelled, which is what we have done in previous years. We probably just didn't take Ottawa seriously here tonight, but, all that said, if Vasy had been even a LITTLE bit on his game, we walk away with a fairly easy win.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Vasy was really bad though. Even shots he stopped were bouncing off him, which goes a long way to killing a defense.

I think we have to find a balance between letting off the gas, which every team does, and letting ourselves get shelled, which is what we have done in previous years. We probably just didn't take Ottawa seriously here tonight, but, all that said, if Vasy had been even a LITTLE bit on his game, we walk away with a fairly easy win.

Yeah, Vasy had a couple of awesome saves, but overall it was a rough night for him. His rebound control was pretty much non-existent. I was surprised Domingue didn't get the start.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I think Ottawa just realized how terrible our right side is if Stralman gets injured. They were constantly skating through there in the 3rd. Vasy definitely wasn't good but i don't think we can just act like our defense played fine.

The problem i have is that we have the solution to our right side depth already but we play him in the ahl so we can ice Dan f***ing Girardi. #FreeCernak

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Ottawa just realized how terrible our right side is if Stralman gets injured. They were constantly skating through there in the 3rd. Vasy definitely wasn't good but i don't think we can just act like our defense played fine.

The problem i have is that we have the solution to our right side depth already but we play him in the ahl so we can ice Dan ****ing Girardi. #FreeCernak

We really don't know if Cernak's going to fit into that role immediately. I mean, he might, because it's not a demanding role, but defensemen who can step into the NHL seamlessly are few and far between. We've seen exactly one guy in recent years step onto our blueline without any major hiccups in his first year, and that, in a surreal joke by the hockey gods themselves, was Jake Dotchin.

I'm a big Cernak supporter and I want him on the roster ASAP. But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves if we think he's the solution to our reoccurring woes on the right side. I mean, he could be. But the odds are against it in his first year or two. It'll probably take him a while to develop consistency.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Especially considering how well we've played defensively this year, calling Cernak up is in preparation for next year more so than it's to address a need on the current roster. Still, I hate seeing talented players log jammed, and we already have one guy who desperately deserves to play NHL minutes in Koekkoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We really don't know if Cernak's going to fit into that role immediately. I mean, he might, because it's not a demanding role, but defensemen who can step into the NHL seamlessly are few and far between. We've seen exactly one guy in recent years step onto our blueline without any major hiccups in his first year, and that, in a surreal joke by the hockey gods themselves, was Jake Dotchin.

I'm a big Cernak supporter and I want him on the roster ASAP. But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves if we think he's the solution to our reoccurring woes on the right side. I mean, he could be. But the odds are against it in his first year or two. It'll probably take him a while to develop consistency.

I dont think hes the answer to our woes but I wanted him up here to start the year and think he probably belongs here. Problem is the logjam doesnt help that and while these injuries suck, they are a great opportunity to get these guys who deserve NHL time some games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont think hes the answer to our woes but I wanted him up here to start the year and think he probably belongs here. Problem is the logjam doesnt help that and while these injuries suck, they are a great opportunity to get these guys who deserve NHL time some games.

I think everyone wants him here. But I don't know that he'd be this massive improvement over Girardi. They'd probably be about equal. The main reason, I think, to get Cernak up here ASAP is to prep him for next year, when we're really gonna need cheap help on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad