GDT: 11/10/16 - Wild @ Penguiños - 6 PM CT / 2 AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Looking like a great bargain at this point - even when he isn't scoring, his play off the puck, all around game and face-off skills have been great. I'd compare him to Mikko on steroids...you can see this is/has been/hopefully continues to be a great hockey player.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Staal has 11 point in 12 games and is +5.

He has had lots of chances to put the puck in the net and also get at LEAST three or four more assists so far this year with Coyle missing his scoring opportunities.

In other words, he's been great. That could be more like 15 points in 12 games if not for well, 'the way the game goes'.

AND FFS, he skates WELL. He isn't extremely agile laterally, but his long stride propels him a large distance which makes up for the average lateral steps. And his straight away speed is actually above average. He has a good top gear, frankly, and of course his stick skills and holding onto the puck are elite.

The guy can flat out pick holes on the goalie too.

I said this would happen!!!!

I also said Coyle would score 30 this year. He's on pace for 27. Help me out here Coyle!!

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Staal has 11 point in 12 games and is +5.

He has had lots of chances to put the puck in the net and also get at LEAST three or four more assists so far this year with Coyle missing his scoring opportunities.

In other words, he's been great. That could be more like 15 points in 12 games if not for well, 'the way the game goes'.

AND FFS, he skates WELL. He isn't extremely agile laterally, but his long stride propels him a large distance which makes up for the average lateral steps. And his straight away speed is actually above average. He has a good top gear, frankly, and of course his stick skills and holding onto the puck are elite.

The guy can flat out pick holes on the goalie too.

I said this would happen!!!!

I also said Coyle would score 30 this year. He's on pace for 27. Help me out here Coyle!!

I'm very happy with him too, but that bold segment can be said about almost every single player in the NHL. This is reminiscent of Blues fans saying that every single Wild goal is "lucky". I think we can just be happy with 11 points in 12 games, yeah? I mean, that's top 50 in NHL scoring, and he's played less games than almost everyone ahead of him. (only Crosby has played less, a few have played the same)

I'm very happy with him. It's nice having two top end 2nd line centers (or low end 1st line centers, depending on your take). Neither one has to shoulder the burden alone, so both can thrive.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Staal keeps this up he'll be the steal of last free agency. So far Vanek's paycheck is being well spent by Staal (Stewie not so much).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If Staal keeps this up he'll be the steal of last free agency. So far Vanek's paycheck is being well spent by Staal (Stewie not so much).

Yep - Vanek's got 8 points in 7 games. Staal's got 11 points in 12 games. Both are playing well, but I'll take Staal at center putting up similar numbers any day. His defensive play has been fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad