Golf: 104th PGA Championship - May 19-May 22

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Feel like the golf course has been a great host. Lots of interesting shots and penalizing rough that isn't ridiculous. If you don't hit the fairway it's a hell of a time hitting the green and getting it to stop.

The complaining about bunkers is also low key hilarious. Wah wahh, I can't spin a bunker shot that was 20 feet and get it to stop on a dime. It's nice to see bunkers actually being penalizing.
My only complaint is that I wish the greens weren’t so slow.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Tiger is really bailing on these majors once he's made the cut.

Gotta ask the tough question - is he only showing up to these majors to make the cut because he needs the money?

(that's only like 80 percent sarcastic btw)

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
We're due for a rando winning of these majors.. maybe this Mito guy. Or he shoots a 78 on Sunday and isn't shown on TV after the first few holes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can we talk about Tiger? Is he done being competitive?

Prior to the accident, he was far from his peak, but still very capable of winning tournaments. Now, I don't know if he's able to physically compete anymore. He can't practice enough, so his game is rusty in many areas. He doesn't have the tournament reps, so he makes some errors with course management due to not having reps under tournament pressure and conditions. He also can't even physically hit some shots he needs to due to the immobility of his leg.

What is the future of his golf game? Is he going to continue this for another 10 years? Is he going to retire at the end of the year? Is there some way he gets better? I guess it's not unexpected, given the events that happened, but it's startling to see that Tiger sucks and I don't see it getting better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're due for a rando winning of these majors.. maybe this Mito guy. Or he shoots a 78 on Sunday and isn't shown on TV after the first few holes.
Four of the top five on the leaderboard haven't won on the PGA Tour yet, and the other is Bubba Watson.

All are good players. It's not like any are 37 year olds ranked 155 in the world, so none would be a terrible major winner, but not the most exciting leaderboard.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Could be a bloodbath tomorrow. Who, among guys in the top 10, has the best record in majors? Stew Cink? Bubba has two wins obviously but his record outside of those two wins is pitiful for a player of his caliber.

Fitzpatrick looked really good today, but I can't get past the fact that he's never won a tournament of importance outside of the United Arab Emirates. Don't know who to pick.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

Feels like the circumstances need to line up so perfectly that it's hard to imagine it happening. Has to be a short, flat course, in pristine, warm weather. Probably on a track that he has lots of experience on, to at least partially offset the rust factor. And it probably wouldn't happen until he has a better feel for what his leg can handle than he does now, but he's already 46 years old, so there's not much time to figure it out...

Maybe Royal Liverpool next year, if the forecast is super benign? Assuming he continues playing semi-regularly until then.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could be a bloodbath tomorrow. Who, among guys in the top 10, has the best record in majors? Stew Cink? Bubba has two wins obviously but his record outside of those two wins is pitiful for a player of his caliber.

Fitzpatrick looked really good today, but I can't get past the fact that he's never won a tournament of importance outside of the United Arab Emirates. Don't know who to pick.
I’d go with Fitz, but Cam Young has snuck up on everyone all year. Wouldn’t be shocked if he shoots like 66 very quietly to win it. Super dark horse, JT is only 4 back of second, and we know he can shoot crazy low rounds because of how good of an iron player he is.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Conditions will be fairly good tomorrow. Mito will have to shoot at least 69 I think or he won’t win this. I believe there will be a lot of 66-67 scores out there. For his sake hopefully nobody chasing him does it but I definitely like Fitzpatrick the most of the trailers followed by Zalatoris and Ancer

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Four of the top five on the leaderboard haven't won on the PGA Tour yet, and the other is Bubba Watson.

All are good players. It's not like any are 37 year olds ranked 155 in the world, so none would be a terrible major winner, but not the most exciting leaderboard.

I'd say Pereira at 100 in the world is pretty off the board. The other ones aren't too crazy.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Hope Rory makes a run tomorrow or something. these randos are boring as hell to watch, although Bubba winning would be kinda cool i guess. last year was awesome, so i guess we were due for this.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

Prior to the accident, he was far from his peak, but still very capable of winning tournaments. Now, I don't know if he's able to physically compete anymore. He can't practice enough, so his game is rusty in many areas. He doesn't have the tournament reps, so he makes some errors with course management due to not having reps under tournament pressure and conditions. He also can't even physically hit some shots he needs to due to the immobility of his leg.

What is the future of his golf game? Is he going to continue this for another 10 years? Is he going to retire at the end of the year? Is there some way he gets better? I guess it's not unexpected, given the events that happened, but it's startling to see that Tiger sucks and I don't see it getting better.
I fear this may be it for him. That crash really did him in it seems. But he's Tiger, so maybe one day he hitches a ride into a major and wins one last time. Definitely needs to take more time off right now.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Turn of events with Pereira hits it right next to the pin for birdie while Zalatoris has an unplayable

"What do we say to the god of unexpected final round leaders collapsing and disappearing from TV by the back nine? Not today"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad