Prospect Info: #100 Malte Setkov, 6'6" Lh Defenceman

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not sure if anyone cares, but our rights to him officially expired last month.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Who really even cares at this point, It obvious he's not a career NHLer he can just stay over in Sweden and do his thing.

Its not worth getting upset over, but I think its worth discussing. Though like I said in my op, I didnt expect some to care.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I had high hopes for Setkov when he was chosen. I thought Kenny may have pulled out another later round gem, but, alas. Speaking of defensive prospects we had hopes for; wha' happened with Kasper Kotkansalo in terms of signing (or not)?

Reactions: Winger98 and lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I had high hopes for Setkov when he was chosen. I thought Kenny may have pulled out another later round gem, but, alas. Speaking of defensive prospects we had hopes for; wha' happened with Kasper Kotkansalo in terms of signing (or not)?

I liked Kotkansalo in the 3 on 3 camp - a lot. I liked him at the WJSS. Scored on a hard, low slapper.
His development was not well served at Boston U.

Reactions: lilidk

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

His rights expire on August 15th this year. Not sure the Red Wings see a future for him in the org.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I liked Kotkansalo in the 3 on 3 camp - a lot. I liked him at the WJSS. Scored on a hard, low slapper.
His development was not well served at Boston U.

Don't blame BU for Kotkansalo's development. The guy is like Lindstrom in that it doesn't matter what league he's in because he's only capable of being a defensive defenseman with limited offense.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
He is a pretty decent defensive defender, good size and frame. However, his skating isnt very good and he isnt active in the offensive zone.
This is so inaccurate. He's actually a really good skater for his size and is active offensively with a bomb of a shot.

Defensively he's extremely raw with the worse gap control I've ever seen. Still think he has NHL potential, if he's able to learn the defensive side but I understand why the org gave up on him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Don't blame BU for Kotkansalo's development. The guy is like Lindstrom in that it doesn't matter what league he's in because he's only capable of being a defensive defenseman with limited offense.

He moves better than Lindstrom. Has a better shot, too.
Boston using Kotkansalo as a forward raised some alarms for me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit Red Wings Reserve List Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I was refering to Kotkansalo's rights, they are listed as expiring on August 15th 2021 :dunno:
I was referring to Setkov because the thread is about him, but I just re-read the post you were responding to.... which makes sense, and normally it would be June 1st for him as well since he played in Liiga instead of college, but COVID, lol. Though the Aug 15th date only applies if he's planning on graduating, which would seem hard to do if he was in Europe for the season. CBA below:

(ii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of:
(a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or
(b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or
(2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to 19 ARTICLE 8 8.6-8.6 graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Probably a moot point since it looks like he's not going to get signed. They signed Sebrango back in March and gave him max signing bonus, so the priorities are obvious.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Kotkansalo is exactly who people thought he was coming out of the USHL. He has never shown much offensive production or skill with the puck at any level. His time at BU just confirmed this. It is too bad really because he has good size and does defend reasonably well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad