Prospect Info: #100 Malte Setkov, 6'6" Lh Defenceman

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Played with Elfström for Malmö U20, he was noticeable as a big kid with good skating and moved the puck well also. Definitely like this pick more than for example the Malmström pick last year.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Congratulation to Malte and Detroit Red Wings, it could turn out to be a good match.
Congratulation to Malte because Detroit Red Wings is a good organization and they have time to let him develop in his own pace, and congratulation to Detroit Red Wings because Malte has a lot of potential, and if given time and the right place to grow and mature he could become a good player.

The majority of players picked in the 4th round never makes it to the NHL and of course this pick has a lot of bust potential in this regard. It is more likely that he ends up playing in a good European league (or the AHL), than makes it to the NHL. But there are also things that indicate that he could defy the odds and gets to play against the best in the world.

He has a good frame for a D-man, but still need to grow into it. At 6'-6" and 192 lbs (according to Eliteprospects), he could add another 20-30 lbs without loosing too much agility. He needs to "improve physically and his game man to man" according to Olaf Eller (Head coach for the National Danish U-20 team), but "he sees the game extremely well, and is a really smart player".

According to Malte himself: "I am a two-way D-man, who most of all loves the offensive part of the game."

Add to that; he is good with the puck, and is a good skater like most other top prospects coming out of the R�dovre hockey system. The same youth team that developed Lars Eller (WAS), Mikkel B�dker and Jannik Hansen (SJS).

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
http://www.faceoff.dk/interview-den-danske-draftsensation-malte-setkov/

You're going to need Google translate. Nothing monumental, but it's interesting to learn a little bit about him.

U20 coach Olaf Or: If I am surprised that Malte was drafted? Perhaps, but also good, because if he can improve his physics and his match game, he can be super. He has an extremely good look at the game and is really smart.

If this kid can improve his physics, there's no stopping him.

I liked the way he described his own game:

Like a happy boy who loves to be with friends when there is no hockey. On the track another two-way back, most of all loves the offensive part of the game. I hope that in the coming season, I can fight for a debut at SHL for Malmö, says the 198 centimeter high draft sensation, for whom it was not a huge sensation of being drafted.

He might end up a stay-at-home guy, but that's not what he wants.

DIU Training Director Flemming Green: Malte has a good size and is good at the puck. Banks may be trying to be tested at the SHL team in Malmö next season.

Obviously by "banks may be trying to be tested," he's saying that this kid is money. And it's always important to be good at the puck.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
But, what's this? More Danish-language articles? To the Google mobile!

http://www.faceoff.dk/red-wings-scout-malte-setkov-har-vaeret-i-kaempe-fremgang/

Title: Red Wings scout: Malte Setkov has been in great progress

the Detroit Red Wings scouts have seen a great star in Setkov - and not least the progress he has made during the last season.

There has not been much talk about him during the season, but he is a solid and physical big and strong back. He has a massive range, says HÃ¥kan Andersson, Director of European Scouting at Detroit.

Setkov is compared to Detroit's second round choice Gustav Lindström from Almtuna, who is also a back who has delivered massive progress during the season.

I'm not sure if this means Setkov has more offense to him than we thought, or if Lindstrom has less.

He (Malte Setkov) started the season at Malmö Junior 18 team and the Junior 20 coach told me that he almost laughed at Setkov at the start of the season. He was big and "wobbly".

Scout's analysis: The dane has just got used to how fast his body grew during the last year's time.

Big and wobbly reminds me of Ericsson.

"He is really a player in progress that has been excellent for training. He is matured, and now he really looks like a man on a mission.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
"Setkov is compared to Detroit's second round choice Gustav Lindström from Almtuna, who is also a back who has delivered massive progress during the season."

Maybe means growth spurts

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here's three Danish U18 national team games from February, Setkov is #5:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
No problem guys. If you have time, would be intersting to hear your thoughts on these guys. These videos are quite limited but gives you some idea.

I do like these guys more than say Malmström last year. That pick really continues to baffle me.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
It's more than a little concerning when the players own coach is 'perhaps' surprised he was drafted.

I mean he went on to say good things about the player... "If he can improve."
you hope is answer would be "not at all, it was a smart pick".

Everything about him sounds like a massive project.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's more than a little concerning when the players own coach is 'perhaps' surprised he was drafted.

I mean he went on to say good things about the player... "If he can improve."
you hope is answer would be "not at all, it was a smart pick".

Everything about him sounds like a massive project.

That strikes you as a precise translation? Really?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Any chance he comes over to North America next year like Hronek did this past season?

CHL import draft is tommorrow. We'll have a good idea following the draft.

If he is picked by someone, there is a good chance he is coming over.
If he is picked by Saginaw, there is almost 100% chance he is coming over.

With Devellano now a part owner, it wouldn't surprise me if Saginaw takes one of our prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->