100 Assists vs 70 Goals: Which club is better?

100 Assists vs 70 Goals: Which club is better?

• 100 Assists Club

Votes: 100 59.2%
  • 70 Goals Club

Votes: 69 40.8%

• Total voters

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
The 100 assist club is objectively better, but as an accomplishment it's pretty close.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Yes the phrasing of the question makes this one seem asier to andwer than it could have been; obviously the 100 assist club is better/more exclusive.

As far as which is a greater accomplishment, i still lean that way. It’s been done by “not gretzky” twice before this year.

Reactions: dukeofjive

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Is the question which players from each group are more impressive OR which accompmishment is more impressive?

I'll take 70goals as more impressive but the group from 100 assists as better.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Its not a good argument. When the "weakest" member of a club is Kucherov (a top 3 Russian player all time/top 5 winger) its a VERY exclusive club. Whereas the 70 goal club has some less impressive members in Nicholls, Mogilny, Selanne, Kurri. All great players, but not on the level of 99, 66, 4, 97, or 86.

Good post. I’m glad McDavid got there first, but I don’t really get the arguments that revolve around Kucherov diluting it. He’s clearly a special player and as long as he finishes out the remainder of his career fairly healthy, I think it’s going to be clear just how fantastic of a career he has had.

A second Art Ross win, regardless of how the season played out for McDavid, makes him just the 15th player to win it at least that many times. Ties him with Malkin and Crosby, already more than Ovechkin. Again, regardless of the intricate details and how things could have been different, he won these Art Rosses over McDavid, one of the five greatest players to ever step onto the ice.

The back to back 30+ point playoff runs, something only done by Gretzky and Lemieux.

A key component of why the Lightning have won two Cups, played in three Finals, and have seen enormous success in general. Already 22nd all-time in playoff points

I don’t know if he wins the Hart or Lindsay this year, but he’s right there at minimum. He already has both trophies in his cabinet.

Has his signature career season at age 30, with zero signs of regression cropping up on the horizon. This is no lesser player who stopped competing in scoring races the moment his calendar told him he couldn’t win outside his 20s.

Has three of the top four seasons for assists by a winger all-time. Amongst all wingers, he has three of the top five.

Another strong season in 2024-2025 gets him to 1000 points by the end of it.

This guy is one of the greatest players ever. Pack another 7-8 seasons and pure counting stats will make that obvious, let alone more hardware.

If he also joins the 100 assists club, we’ll likely look back on it as making complete sense, if it already doesn’t.

Last edited:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Why do people have this misconception that secondary assists are less valuable?
Probably because there are alot of instances where a single touch or push up play leads to a secondary assist. Not to say primaries are always the prettiest, but secondaries are noticeable Stat padders alot of the times. Again for the sake of this debate tho, I'll still go 70 over 100 easy.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The 100-assists club is clearly superior, but I'm not sure that necesarily equates to it being a 'better' acheivement.

Gordie Howe has less 'Gordie Howe Hat-Tricks' than many players. It doesn't mean those players were more Gordie than Gordie.

To be clear - both are impressive and seemingly close one way or the other.

Reactions: DrDangles

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Probably because there are alot of instances where a single touch or push up play leads to a secondary assist. Not to say primaries are always the prettiest, but secondaries are noticeable Stat padders alot of the times. Again for the sake of this debate tho, I'll still go 70 over 100 easy.
That is not the case at all. A lot of the time, secondary assists are created from great zone entries.

Look at the list of players who have scored 70 VS the list of players who have 100 assists. One is a much more elite group. And it's not the ones that scored 70.

Reactions: Despote

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I think that 100 assists or 70 goals is about as equal as it gets. They are both extremely hard.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Well at least this is a situation we won't have to run into this year.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
That is not the case at all. A lot of the time, secondary assists are created from great zone entries.
You say alot of the times, but I will respectfully disagree. I believe, yes, this is a percentage of the case, it most definitely is not the majority.
Look at the list of players who have scored 70 VS the list of players who have 100 assists. One is a much more elite group. And it's not the ones that scored 70.
When you say which is more elite, how is it defined? 2 of the 3 players before this year are also in the 70 goal group. Gretzky was a direct reason for kurri and Nicholls yrs as Orr n Esposito were connected. There being less in 100a doesn't make it more elite. Taking Gretzky and lemieux out of the picture as they are an anomaly unto their own. A goal has to be scored, there's no secondary chance to get a goal. There is a reason why for years, the goals record was one that no one thought would be broken, and why everyone is cheering for ovi to do it now. It's like implying, though he didn't reach 100a, that Adam oates 90a is as valuable if not more than Brett hulls 86g. My opinion is and always will be, 2 ppl can get an assist, 1 person can score.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews had 69.

b097fe618f0c2748d2654017d205f698.gif

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hey OP - good thing you allowed for "changing of votes" in the poll. Now that Matthews finished at 69 - people can change votes to 70 goals :sarcasm:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
You say alot of the times, but I will respectfully disagree. I believe, yes, this is a percentage of the case, it most definitely is not the majority.

When you say which is more elite, how is it defined? 2 of the 3 players before this year are also in the 70 goal group. Gretzky was a direct reason for kurri and Nicholls yrs as Orr n Esposito were connected. There being less in 100a doesn't make it more elite. Taking Gretzky and lemieux out of the picture as they are an anomaly unto their own. A goal has to be scored, there's no secondary chance to get a goal. There is a reason why for years, the goals record was one that no one thought would be broken, and why everyone is cheering for ovi to do it now. It's like implying, though he didn't reach 100a, that Adam oates 90a is as valuable if not more than Brett hulls 86g. My opinion is and always will be, 2 ppl can get an assist, 1 person can score.
Still disagree. Not only do zone carries create a lot of secondary assists, but it's quite common, particularly on the powerplay, for a player to make a great pass for a one timer that creates a rebound and a goal.

Secondary assists are not nothing points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad