Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
it was a monday

i had started as a week-long counselor at a camp for kindergartners

i did not care about what was going on that day

i got home and played video games

i got in the car

we went to amantes for dinner, at the same little mall as marti gras bowling alley

i watched barry melrose on sportscenter at amantes predict with great confidence that the oilers would complete the comeback

we drove to the stadium

i stood up for 3 hours

i cried when justin williams scored the game winner

we stayed in the arena until about 1am, until the entire ice was cleared

we watched nbc break down their set, believe it was bill clement at the time (cant remember the others)

i went home still in tears

a bit later i met eric staal, he was signing championship dvds at fye at southpoint

i said "congratulations mr staal, i was so excited to see you win it"

he looked me in the eye and said "thanks bud, we couldnt have done it without you guys in the crowd standing up the whole time"

i was the happiest kid in the world

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
THANKS to all the players and staff of the 2006 CAR Hurricanes for the great memories I have of that year...WILL NEVER FORGET!

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
it was a monday

i had started as a week-long counselor at a camp for kindergartners

i did not care about what was going on that day

i got home and played video games

i got in the car

we went to amantes for dinner, at the same little mall as marti gras bowling alley

i watched barry melrose on sportscenter at amantes predict with great confidence that the oilers would complete the comeback

we drove to the stadium

i stood up for 3 hours

i cried when justin williams scored the game winner

we stayed in the arena until about 1am, until the entire ice was cleared

we watched nbc break down their set, believe it was bill clement at the time (cant remember the others)

i went home still in tears

a bit later i met eric staal, he was signing championship dvds at fye at southpoint

i said "congratulations mr staal, i was so excited to see you win it"

he looked me in the eye and said "thanks bud, we couldnt have done it without you guys in the crowd standing up the whole time"

i was the happiest kid in the world

I was at the fye signing too.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Such a surreal feeling after they won it. Will never forget the camera catching Ray Whitney scream "****in' right!"

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It's a shame that HF got purged. The Oilers GDT for that game was truly the stuff of legends. Some of the posts were truly glorious :laugh:

I remember reading that thread last year, I think you or someone else posted a link to it. Montreal and Buffalo fans were crying salty tears in there too. :laugh: But but, they don't appreciate it like we would have, this is Canadas game they said.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Most nerve wracking day of my life. Im glad I didnt drink coffee then cuz I would have scratched a hole in my skin.

I will never forget Cams save w like 4 mins left. Most important save in Canes history.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Most nerve wracking day of my life. Im glad I didnt drink coffee then cuz I would have scratched a hole in my skin.

I will never forget Cams save w like 4 mins left. Most important save in Canes history.

Fernando Pisani was killing us that series. I think most everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief when Cam made that save, because you could sense that was the one.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It was my first day of work out of college, and I couldn't have given a **** less about what they were trying to tell me. I remember the ending being more cathartic than anything else. I just smiled ear to ear and took it all in. It was all just so surreal to me. I couldn't believe it actually happened.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For those of you that were there to see game 7 at the RBC, had we lose would you have stayed for post-cup celebration? I had this talk w/ someone once. I don't think there is any way I would have been able to stomach the celebration knowing we were up 3-1 in the series, only to lose 3 straight with two being on our home ice.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I have never considered that hypothetical...not then, not since. Won't do it now.

Why? There was no ****ing way they were going to lose that game.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have never considered that hypothetical...not then, not since. Won't do it now.

Why? There was no ****ing way they were going to lose that game.

there you go man

that atmosphere was something i will never experience again

in the moment it was scary, for sure, but looking back, that building won that game

that type of storyline and passion among the fans was definitely missing in this years finals

it was as do or die a moment as any fan has experienced, ive never seen a championship with the fans so invested in the outcome

maybe thats bc i was 12, but for that night it seemed like there could be nothing else more important in the world than for the canes to win that game

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just thought I'd ask. I mean, we were a Cam Ward save on Pisani away from going to overtime.

I do think we would have won the OT but who the hell really knows. I thought for sure we were going to win it in Game 5.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just thought I'd ask. I mean, we were a Cam Ward save on Pisani away from going to overtime.

I do think we would have won the OT but who the hell really knows. I thought for sure we were going to win it in Game 5.

sorry i dont have a better answer except "im glad i dont know the answer" lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad