10 Years in the Making

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Let me start out saying I'm a proud Hab fan and its been a long time. Since Patrick Roy left, the team hasn't been the same. Now we have a shot a winning the Cup.

Lets start in goal:
Carey Price, probably the top goaltender in the world, you can argue Price and Rinne are 1-2. Rinne is 32 and has 2-3 years left until decline. Price on the other hand is 27 and just entering his prime. Price should dominate the next 6 years and that is our window of opportunity. Price picked in 2005 had some struggle in his first 5 years, battling Huet and losing the starting job to Halak. Finally 10 years later he's a superstar goalie in the league. Price only need to win a Cup to be in the same class as Roy.

On defense:
PK Subban is the highest and is a top 5 defenseman in the league in my mind. He does everything, I want him out there for the play powerplay, killing penalties, and all the time. He's one of those defenseman that wins battles in the corner as he's very strong and you hardly see anyone hit him. He protects himself so well and never gets injuried. At 25, Subban is also entering his prime.

Andrei Markov is a "general" on defense. I know he's not the same Markov when he was 25 and slowed down quite a bit, we all do with age. Still he runs the powerplay and keeps everyone calm. We need players like him to win. I put him in the Recchi, Roberts, Guerin class of leadership.

Ryan Mcdonagh, sadly was traded, at 25 he would have been part of the core together with Subban, Price and Pacioretty.

At forward:
Max Pacioretty is a beast. After the Chara hit he became The Wolverine. Not sure how but he suddenly developed his deadly wrist shot. He was projected to be a checking forward but is a powerforward/sniper. I guess this is God giving us John LeClair with speed back. For like 10 years we wished we have this kind of player, big, speedy and can shoot the puck. Patches should be our next captain in my mind.

Tomas Plekanec, I'm not a fan of his turtleneck style but he does bring it every game. I put him in important player list with Markov that we need to win cups with. He's very underrated two-way player. If he was 6'1" fans would argue if Plekanec or Patrice Bergeron who would be the better two-way player.

Alex Galchenyuk, at 20, he's really maturing fast. His numbers are increasing steadily and I think he'll turn out to be a top line winger. I know he was drafted a center but he's just more dynamic on the wing. He reminds me very much of Marian Hossa when I was living in Ottawa. Hossa does everything well and is an all round player.

Brendan Gallagher, I love this kid, he plays hard every single game and never takes shifts off. He lacks top line talent but my, he's the kind of player you win with in the playoffs. Reminds me very much of Claude Lapointe.

Then we surround our core with the development of Nathan Beaulieu who's coming into his own and is now a top 4 defenseman. Alexei Emelin is underrated, I hope he turn up his toughness. Jiri Sekac, what a surprise this kid is, he battles hard and showed his offensive side. Jacob de la Rose, he's one of my favorite player at the moment, the kid is 19 and plays like he's been in the league 10 years, he's polished in the defensive zone and I feel confident with him out there last minute protecting a 1 goal game. DLR reminds me of Rob Niedermayer.

The Bad:
I really hope Jarred Tinordi develops and become a top shutdown defenseman we drafted him for. Its taking him 5 years now, he may not fulfill his potential. When we traded Halak and got Lars Eller, I was really excited. The kid was picked first round 13th overall and projected to be an offensive center. Eller is 25, though polished in the defensive zone, he lacks hockey sense to be an offensive threat. I hoped at the time of the Halak trade that Eller would become our #1 center just because he was drafted high, plays center, skates fast and is 6'2" 210lbs. That's not going to happen.
David Desharnais, I like his desire and how he overcame adversary. There's a dislike that he keeps hanging around and somehow managed to still produce, this means MT will continue to give him ice time over Eller which is probably why Eller didn't develop his offensive side. And I don't like Desharnais being our #1 center going into the playoffs. Its a different beast and smaller players like Desharnais will struggle with physical play.

Message to MB, I think its time to add players to this group and give us a chance. Tomas Vanek was a treat last season until he couldn't keep up with the Ranger's speed. We need a big offensive center and 2 top 4 defenseman. I would love to add Keith Yandle to this team, Zbynek Michalek would also give this team a true shutdown defenseman and grit. There's not many top center available but Antoine Vermette could help this team, he has speed fits into our system and is 7th in faceoff win percentage 57%

By coincidence Yandle, Michalek (UFA) and Vermette (UFA) plays for Arizona. I don't know if Michalek is worth $5 million at 32 years old nor Vermette worth $5 million for a 3rd line center he's also 32. But Yandle is worth $5 mil and he's a top 4 defenseman.

Maybe offer Lars Eller, Jarred Tinordi, Sven Andrigetto, Tom Gilbert and a draft pick for Keith Yandle, Zbynek Michalek and Antoine Vermette. If I was the Yotes, this is a very good offer, 3 good pieces and a draft pick for 2 UFA and a salary dump top 4 defenseman.

With Eller gone we can use his money to resign Vermette, and Gonchar and Allen off the books can give us cap room for Michalek.

We roll all 4 lines in the playoffs:
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Sekac-Vermette-Parenteau
Prust-de la Rose-Bournival
Malhotra-Thomas

Markov-Subban
Yandle-Michalek
Emelin-Gonchar
Beaulieu-Weaver

Price
Tokarski

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
DLR reminds me of The great Bob Gainey. Future captain?

If we kept McDonagh, Markov would have been let go. Food for thought

Love the Pleks - Bergeron comparison

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Your lines suck. Who the **** would go into the playoffs with such a popgun lineup in which the first line has a center who can't handle the load and a grinder on the RW? Is Vermette really better? Or is he just the francophone "future" of Lars Eller. Don't look now, but those playoff stats are ****ing ugly, and he's ****ing 32.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Put it this way, your top offensive players need to produce at an adequate pace, and some of the bottom 6ers need to "SURGE" during the playoffs. With DD and Weise, EXPECTING them to go nearly PPG or .75 PPG is a dream. Your trade does not solve THAT PROBLEM. It is far more feasible to hope they "surge" rather than to expect points from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad