10 years from now, which of these players will we say "they never found the next gear"

Which of these players will not take big strides and have come close to plateau'ing already?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
In a nutshell: Which players are what they are already.

All of these players have very high ceilings, but I would argue none have proven to be a superstar yet. All of them are considered to be safe picks to be surefire top of the lineup players who win awards or are in the conversation.

Many have amazing reputations due to how good they are at a young age, but some may never eclipse their current abilities.

Some may have already played their best (statistically) season already (Marner, Point, Barzal?) and won't likely see contention for a major award (includes Selke).

Some may never even come close to the expectations around them (McAvoy and Makar - multiple future Norris trophies).

Or maybe you believe all of them will take big strides and reach their lofty expectations?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This list is confusing. Most don't belong on here. You may have some unrealistic expectations from them. Many don't even need to reach the next gear.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
fun poll. Here's my breakdown:

Marner - doesn't belong. I think I expected him to become a 90+ point guy/top 10 type scorer - and 2 years running he's hit that (pace this year). I feel as though he's already hit that level. Maybe he can improve further, but even if he doesn't I'd say this was always close to his ceiling.

I'll say all of EP/Makar/Dahlin/Hughes/Kakko/Hughes#2/Heisk have still another gear to hit.

Not sure about others. I was never as high on Sergachev as most. I think Barzal/Point are what they are already. i think point it closer to a ~75-80 point guy, vs a ~95 point guy like last year, we'll see if he proves me wrong.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This list is confusing. Most don't belong on here. You may have some unrealistic expectations from them. Many don't even need to reach the next gear.

If you want to simplify it, I think it boils down to “do not vote for players that you think have another gear”.

For example, McAvoy and Makar are two top young D. The next gear for them would be to settle into the yearly top 3 category right now dominated by Josi, Hedman and Burns or Pie.

For forwards, do you expect Boeser to find the next gear and put himself in the Rocket conversation? Do you think Marner will find the next gear and put him in that 100+ point group with Panarin, etc? Or is Marner already near his top gear as a 90-95 point type player?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Voted: Barzal, Boeser, Point, and Marner

Point and Marner mostly because they’ve already had such outstanding seasons. They’ve already topped the 90 point plateau, it’d hard to get much better than that in terms of production.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted Marner, Sergachev and Barzal as I think they are what they are.
The most sure things from the list that will find another gear imo are Dahlin, Hughes and Makar as D. And Pettersson as forward.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Barzal is definitely going to be a guy that disappointed his original hype. Got 85 points as a rookie but it was when he was probably the worst defensive center in the entire league. Trotz reigned him back to being an average defensive center but now he is only 60+ point center in some of his best years. If he doesn't get into the 90+ range in his career he'll be a "never found the next gear".

Marner and Point are weird choices because they found their gear. Never going to win a Hart or anything like that but they are 90+ point players and I don't think any expects anymore. Similar story for McAvoy, solid 1D in the future but I don't think anyone expects a Norris out of him.

Dahlin, Makar, Q Hughes have high expectations but I think they'll hit them.

Pettersson in my opinion is the most likely to fulfill this title if he doesn't hit another gear. His hype pushes him into the Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Eichel, Matthews tier of young players but he is still an under PPG center in his 2nd full season. He's still really young so he has time to change, but if he doesn't get into the 95-100+ point range he'd be viewed as a disappointment in proportion to the hype.

Hughes and Kakko obviously need to make a huge jump to get to expected, and if they don't get another gear from there, they could be seen as a let down.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobholly39

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barzal is definitely going to be a guy that disappointed his original hype. Got 85 points as a rookie but it was when he was probably the worst defensive center in the entire league. Trotz reigned him back to being an average defensive center but now he is only 60+ point center in some of his best years. If he doesn't get into the 90+ range in his career he'll be a "never found the next gear".

Marner and Point are weird choices because they found their gear. Never going to win a Hart or anything like that but they are 90+ point players and I don't think any expects anymore. Similar story for McAvoy, solid 1D in the future but I don't think anyone expects a Norris out of him.

Dahlin, Makar, Q Hughes have high expectations but I think they'll hit them.

Pettersson in my opinion is the most likely to fulfill this title if he doesn't hit another gear. His hype pushes him into the Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Eichel, Matthews tier of young players but he is still an under PPG center in his 2nd full season. He's still really young so he has time to change, but if he doesn't get into the 90-100+ point range he'd be viewed as a disappointment in proportion to the hype.

Hughes and Kakko obviously need to make a huge jump to get to expected, and if they don't get another gear from there, they could be seen as a let down.

McAvoy was voted I think 2nd most likely to win the most Norris trophies in the next 10 years (might have been 3rd) behind Dahlin in a poll I ran about 6 months ago.

You have to look at who the players are right now, and decide is there another gear. Marner and Point have both had big seasons, I am wondering if there is an even nmore impressive gear they could hit (for Point, that might include a Selke, for Marner it would be 100+ points-ish).

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What a weird collection of players. Several of the forwards are older and hit their prime already, so them, I guess. For example, 2018-19 will likely be a top-5 season for both Point and Marner.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McAvoy was voted I think 2nd most likely to win the most Norris trophies in the next 10 years (might have been 3rd) behind Dahlin in a poll I ran about 6 months ago.

You have to look at who the players are right now, and decide is there another gear. Marner and Point have both had big seasons, I am wondering if there is an even nmore impressive gear they could hit (for Point, that might include a Selke, for Marner it would be 100+ points-ish).
Really? I would have expected that a year or 2 ago but I think he's been leap frogged by Dahlin, Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen and guys like Werenski, Chabot, Provorov, Jones are still young. Not to mention the older guard like Hedman, Josi and co will. probably take the award for the next couple years at least. I like McAvoy but the competition for the Norris is steep.

I think Marner getting a 100 points is more likely than a Selke for Point. I don't think Marner will be a 100 point regular but I wouldn't be surprised to see his career year be a 3-digit point total,

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Really? I would have expected that a year or 2 ago but I think he's been leap frogged by Dahlin, Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen and guys like Werenski, Chabot, Provorov, Jones are still young. Not to mention the older guard like Hedman, Josi and co will. probably take the award for the next couple years at least. I like McAvoy but the competition for the Norris is steep.

I think Marner getting a 100 points is more likely than a Selke for Point. I don't think Marner will be a 100 point regular but I wouldn't be surprised to see his career year be a 3-digit point total,

Yeah I don't think Marner hitting 100 points is even a next step for him. He hit 94 last year, paced for 93 this year. That's only 6 more points. Next gear would be ~110 points, maybe even 105+. A bit like players like Panarin/Mack/Pastrnak were all pacing to do this year

Point hit 92 last year, but is pacing below a ppg this year. I think him hitting 90-95+ points regularly would be a next step (a level Marner already is at), since I consider last year a bit of a fluke. I suppose a Selke could constitute a next gear too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its pretty obvious who watches the games and who watches the score sheet. Barzal is absolutely electric on the ice creating out of nothing, how good he was against Pittsburgh in the playoffs is proof of his talent. He doesnt score as much due to the system he is in and his coach, if you cant understand this then you probably dont understand much about the sport. Put him on a team surrounded with elite talent in a system that is more wide open and he is producing at a 90 point pace.

None of the above.
If you're talking about Dylan Strome or Galcheynuk, possibly

I agree with this.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Boeser is the obvious name on that list. His scoring has already gone down. Would not surprise me if he trends toward an Eberle type career after Ebs had PPG in his sophomore season and never matched it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad