10 NHL Teams Trending Up for 2018-19

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Solid write up. I personally think Edmonton is a little too high though. Don't think adding a couple bottom 6 players causes them to trend up that much. especially not #4. Florida and Philadelphia for example added much bigger fish.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Solid write up. I personally think Edmonton is a little too high though. Don't think adding a couple bottom 6 players causes them to trend up that much. especially not #4. Florida and Philadelphia for example added much bigger fish.
Edmonton is still essentially the same team that had 103 points

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Also the same team that had 78. Since that was more recent, that means they're trending down.

The might not be a 103 point team again, but a lot had to go wrong for them to fall that far. It's very unlikely the goaltending and special teams are as bad.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The might not be a 103 point team again, but a lot had to go wrong for them to fall that far. It's very unlikely the goaltending and special teams are as bad.
I don't disagree. They'll be competitive. Just think 4th is a little high. Florida barely missed the playoffs and goes out and grabs Hoffman. Philly gets JVR and their team looks good aside from goaltending. Just my opinion, I'd have higher hopes for those 2 as of now but we'll see.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

For Edmonton, it's not about who they added (Rieder and Brodziak) but who they are returning and the likelihood of some key players rebounding (Talbot, Lucic), along with the power play which can't possibly be worse. If Talbot and Lucic are both marginally better, along with Sekera, Puljujarvi and Strome, and the power play improves to even middle of the pack, the Oilers will be a playoff team and possibly finish higher than where I have them slotted in my offseason standings predictions (third in the Pacific).

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Smith is much better than Ward

There has been a gap between them in recent years. Smith was Calgary's best players on a lot of nights last season, when healthy, and I'm not sure the same can be said for Ward in Carolina. I do think a change of scenery could be good for Ward and he might surprise to some degree in Chicago. Smith is still a very capable starter and a battler, so Peters should be happy (or happier) to have him in goal.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't know that the Canes or Flyers make much progress until they get some goaltending help.

This is a very fair statement. Same with Buffalo. Those three teams — Philadelphia, Carolina and Buffalo — will only trend up if their goaltending improves and holds up over the course of the season. It's possible, but I wouldn't bet big money on any of those tandems: Elliott and Neuvirth, Mrazek and Darling, Hutton and Ullmark. All three tandems would rank bottom 10 in the league and arguably bottom five.

Reactions: byrath

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know that the Canes or Flyers make much progress until they get some goaltending help.
It’s true the flyers could use a real top starter. Elliot was actually pretty good until he got hurt. Nuevy got hurt. Stolarz was already hurt and we were playing a 4th strong goalie. If we say there will be no goalie injuries the flyers will be ok. The goal this year is to win a playoff series. Certainly need a good goalie for that.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
People outside of Toronto are very split on the Leafs. I, for one, am drinking the Kool-Aid and hopping on the bandwagon of believing they will be better than last season — both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

It's almost impossible not to see how they get better. They are a very young team coming off a 105 point season, a year older, a year more experienced and oh yeah, they just added a legitimate star forward. Obviously they have holes, but they are overstated. Their left side D is very good, while the right side D is weak. Zaitsev rebounding would help, and ask just about any Leaf fan, they'd like an acquisition to help the right side, but there are some pieces coming through the system and they have very solid depth. In a perfect world, the Leafs find a #2 to pair with Rielly, but the cost on that probably doesn't make it reasonable to entertain, so just another 3/4 guy who can play there will have to suffice.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Arizona should be higher, people don’t realize how good that team actually is...gonna shock some folks when they
make the playoffs.

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
You need to stop acting like the majority and a few posters trying to bother Leafs’ fans (and it clearly worked on some of you) are the same thing. It comes off a little pathetic to the rest of the fans that didn’t say those things.

It comes off a lot pathetic.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think it's a good list. St Louis and Dallas should be in the playoff conversation. Don't see it with Buffalo and Arizona, they still each have two of the worst forward groups and lowest payrolls in the NHL. Would have Philly and Dallas both above them. Not sure if Edmonton has done enough either, they might have more depth, but I'm not sure it's better depth.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Man I can't wait to see the Leafs offense but I just can't see that defense/goalie tandem winning them a cup...

They'll be fun to watch though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad