10% Increase in Season Ticket Prices

Critically Acclaimed

Feb 22, 2013
What do you expect from an organization that rarely fires anybody and instead just moves them around. All those made up positions don't pay for themselves.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
Hey think of it as them doing you a favor. Instead of really gouging you when the new arena opens they are being courteous and making it a more a gradual increase. They make 10% more this year, you don't have a heart attack next year its a win-win. Really generous of them if you ask me. :sarcasm:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Mcdavid incoming, a real GM, a top teir coach, final season in Rexall; can't say it's a big surprise.

If you're mad now though, wait for the 10 - 20% increase next year in the new arena :naughty:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
What do you expect from an organization that rarely fires anybody and instead just moves them around. All those made up positions don't pay for themselves.

Sadly, this is the truth. Katz wont dip into his Rexal Family drugs money to cover the Oilers' overhead. Katz increased his payroll in a huge way by hiring Nicholson, Chia and TM because he refuses to fire people Like MacT, Lowe, Bucky and Howson. :laugh:

Sure its Katz' money but he will bleed it out of the tier one fans. So for us tier 2/3 fans.. we're in the clear! ; )

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Got my renewal e-mail today. There is a 10% increase on season tickets for my seats. Unbelievable how greedy this organization is.

Supply and demand.

The Oilers have no obligation to give away tickets just to avoid being "greedy."

If McDavid comes in, plays well, and the team takes a step those seasons ticket prices will be small in comparison to what the secondary market prices will be. If anything season ticket holders are getting a deal.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
What did you expect? This is probably the best time to increase ticket sales with so much hype around McDavid/Management. Someone else said it, but next year is gonna be even more.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Depression med sales down 60% at Rexall since the draft lottery. Katz gotta make that up somehow. Also still paying for numerous fired coaches and paying Lowe and Mac T a premium to not make hockey decisions anymore isn't cheap.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Supply and demand.

The Oilers have no obligation to give away tickets just to avoid being "greedy."

If McDavid comes in, plays well, and the team takes a step those seasons ticket prices will be small in comparison to what the secondary market prices will be. If anything season ticket holders are getting a deal.

LOL, I always love seeing posts like this after the team cried poor and threatened move unless they got almost all of the new arena paid for by tax payers, the vast majority that will never be able to afford going to a game and never will give a fig about downtown Edmonton.

The oilers did their little survey and found out people were made about a big increase proposed for going into the new arena. Now that things seem a bit sunnier jack up the tickets by 10% well above any increase in most people take home compensation and then they will up it another 15% with the new area.

As usual people talk 'business' decisions when the paying fan is getting it up the rump but the moment it is convenient they also use the old 'you have to support us or we will leave, support the team like a true fan!'

Pathetic.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Supply and demand. Demand is suddenly quite a bit higher than it was last year around this time, that's for sure.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Smart move. keep charging what people are willing to pay. The market has been speaking forever.

If people stopped buying, the price would go down.

Pretty simple. Perfect timing too. McDavid coming in. New coach, etc. People are pumped lol.

Edit - I kind of regret it now, but we cancelled our 4 season tickets last year and advertising package.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008

Aren't we paying like 4 different Head Coaches, 3 GMs and 2 Presidents? As if Daryl is gonna use his own cash for his own mistakes

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Supply and demand.

So the only options are to 'give' the tickets away or increase the prices?

Comic Book Guy*

I'm not going to pretend like I can read the Oilers' mind, but the meeting that lead to this price increase may have gone down like this:

http://true-progress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Supply-and-Demand-Graph.png

Bob Nicholson: Friends and esteemed colleagues, this is a supply and demand curve. Many factors may cause prices to increase, the two most basic being: a) a leftward shift in supply b) rightward shift in demand.

Since the number of seats at Rexall is a constant, supply is a constant and that line does not move. However, since we got McDavid, demand for our product has increased resulting in a rightward shift of the demand curve.

This will lead us to a new equilibrium of higher prices.

This was not an emotional decision -- rather, the work of market forces. We are not greedy men. This is just how a businesses work efficiently and at full capacity.

Comic Book Guy*

Supply-and-Demand-Graph.png

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Not surprising given that Katz is first and foremost a business man. Guy is going to make bank off of McDavid. Hate him or love him, the guy is a billionaire and a genius with money, so You can bet he's going to try to make every single cent possible.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Who is surprised?
Just wait until this team is actually good.

Enjoy it on tv. Live experience is overrated anyway.

Once we get into January and we are out of the playoff race.. you will be able to get tickets for pennies on the dollar.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Not surprising given that Katz is first and foremost a business man. Guy is going to make bank off of McDavid. Hate him or love him, the guy is a billionaire and a genius with money, so You can bet he's going to try to make every single cent possible.

He is no genius, but any way, going off topic. He is a smart man who took risks.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm amused that people think any of the current hype around the team had an impact on this.

The price of season tickets was going up anyway. That's what happens when people refuse to stop buying them.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm amused that people think any of the current hype around the team had an impact on this.

The price of season tickets was going up anyway. That's what happens when people refuse to stop buying them.

exaclty, welcome to econ 101. I am so pissed of that they keep raising the price of that thing I keep buying........ lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad