2012​
|
1st​
|
|
37.1​

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm pretty impressed Faksa went this high. I really like what he's done so I'm not saying this is wrong. I do agree he fits in this area.

I expected him to take a hit overall from most because of his junior production. I'm glad to see he's getting judged more for his AHL work it would seem.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Ully
Bystrom
Desrosiers

Ully for the upside. He has top line winger potential in the mold of Jeff Skinner.

Bystrom has middle pair upside with room to grow offensively and is playing against men. Swedish defenders for the win.

Desrosiers has #1 goalie upside but it takes a long time plus everything has to go right for him to get to his ceiling.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
1. Oleksiak
2. Campbell
3. Ritchie
4. Dickinson
5. Nemeth
6. Shore
7. Honka
8. Desrosiers
9. Bystrom
10. Faksa

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
dont understand why are you so high on Bystrom. ok, he is a 2nd rounder and you expecting a lot from him, but the last season he didnt get a spot in u20 team, played decent role in team and finished season in 4th defensive pair playing 5-6 minutes a game, or not playing at all. He is 8th defender in his team in minutes played with 15.21. Top-prospect Oliver Kylington is 9th, but i think that the next season he will play for Farjestad even more then Bystrom. For my opinion Ludvig need to play more minutes may be not in SHL but in Allsvenskan or he`ll become a bust.

I think that our 3rd rounder Niklas Hansson progressing a lot better then Bystrom. He started season with Rögle J20 and finished as a top defender in team that almost get a spot in the SHL and in the next season he can play in WJC for Team Sweden

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is just a wee bit nuts.

Most 19 year old players aren't even in the SHL ... let alone already having some 80 games under his belt. Let's not pretend this is some chump league.

Hansson's success in the Allsvenskan is great, but it's not remotely comparable.

Him not making the U20 was considered by most a surprise he was the final D cut.

Trying to twist people's excitement for him into being about draft position is incorrect. Very few 19 year old defenders have accomplished as much as he has in the SHL as a U20. Most of those that have are stars in the NHL.

No one is saying he's a star but his upside is as good or better than most of the D on the team. Kylington is considered the best or 2nd best D prospect in next year's draft and a likely Top 5 pick in a draft that potentially has two generational talents.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Screwed up ... meant to say 100 games SHL experience, and he was 3rd leading D scorer on his team despite playing less than some.

I'm really excited about Hansson as well, but I guess I'm annoyed a bit that people liking him is only because of his draft round. Saying an Allsvenskan player's production is a better indicator for success than the SHL is border line saying ECHL production is a better NHL predictor of success than the AHL. There are a handful of good teams in the Allsvenskan that are borderline SHL talent ... and then there's just a bunch of bad and mediocre teams. It's not exactly comparable to the AHL/ECHL ... but it's close ... maybe closer to the gap between NHL and AHL is better. Allsvenskan though is with little doubt weaker competition and easier to break into as a teenager.

Bystrom isn't special, but he's definitely rare to have been able to force his way onto two great franchises as a teenager. That is a major accomplishment and speaks to his talent for sure. He's done more in the SHL than any other Dallas Swede defender by 20 years old ... that's for sure. Nemeth is close as a 17 minute defensive defender though as an 18 and 19 year old. Bystrom's production though ... which seems small when you evaluate it from an NHL/AHL/CHL perspective ... is pretty uncommon for a teenager.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just to put SHL point totals in perspective. He was tied for 34th in D scoring in a league that each team typically plays 8 D and has 12 teams.

He was the 2nd top scoring U20 defender in the SHL the last 2 years behind Djoos.

Watching him play against the AHL All Stars and Toronto last year, to me at least, it was clear that the guy has great wheels and significant upside ... just like Klingberg and Nemeth (for different reasons obviously). He really controls the puck well from the point in the offensive league. It was pretty impressive.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think that our 3rd rounder Niklas Hansson progressing a lot better then Bystrom. He started season with Rögle J20 and finished as a top defender in team that almost get a spot in the SHL and in the next season he can play in WJC for Team Sweden

I don't agree with your being down on Bystrom, however I'm a big Hansson supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad