10 Games I Should Watch

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would like to start watching some old games to gain more knowledge of the eras before I began watching hockey. It would be great to hear the advice/opinion of some of the more experienced guys on this board of which games I should start with. These games would preferably be before the mid 90's, as that is when I became old enough to really start watching hockey a lot and was old enough to actually understand what I was seeing. So give me your Top 10 games, they can be on your list because of historical importance, excitement factor, or just be a personal favorite. If you have information on where I can view these videos that would be great too (hopefully many are in the stickied video thread).

Much thanks to all who contribute!

EDIT: I already have the 87' Canada Cup and 72 Summit Series sitting at home. Also, I have seen the Miracle on Ice (along with everyone else), so no need to put that on there.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Good thread (has it been done before?).

I'm not sure the 'Miracle on Ice' game is actually that great, but I suppose since you're American it has some sentimental value :).

I'd also suggest Montreal Canadiens vs. Soviet Red Army from Dec 31st, 1975. Regarded by many (incl. Tretiak) as the greatest game of all-time. As a child brought up 80s I think game 2 of the 87 Canada Cup final is the greatest game of all time, but I'll let Tretiak have his opinion :).

See highlights here:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/16393/

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Games six and/or seven of the 1987 Cup finals for sure, as well as game three of the 1982 Smythe Semi-Finals, where the Kings overcame a 5-0 third-period defecit to win 6-5 in overtime.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Games six and/or seven of the 1987 Cup finals for sure, as well as game three of the 1982 Smythe Semi-Finals, where the Kings overcame a 5-0 third-period defecit to win 6-5 in overtime.

I didn't think game 7 was so great - or maybe just not as great as I expected it to be at the time. Hextall was pretty excellent but I felt the Oilers won it reasonably handily. It wasn't the barnburner I was expecting it to be.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I didn't think game 7 was so great - or maybe just not as great as I expected it to be at the time. Hextall was pretty excellent but I felt the Oilers won it reasonably handily. It wasn't the barnburner I was expecting it to be.

Yeah, I think game six was the pinnacle of that series .. I just love that Anderson goal at the end of game 7 :)

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Try the 1976 Canada Cup dvd.

18 hall of famers on team Canada and you will witness the most dominant players of the late 60's/late 70s. Including the last real go round for one Robert Gordon Orr.

You will also get to see why Borje Salming was so great for team Sweden; a very young Peter Stastny for the Czechs; and a very young Mike Milbury playing for team USA.

The Soviet's were disappointing in that tournament (with no Valeri Kharlamov to be seen) but you get to witness Vladislav Tretiak playing goal for a Soviet team transitioning into a new era.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
And then the 2nd half of this clip:

Wow, Boris Mikhailov (#13) is really on fire in the match vs. Sweden in that clip. Never really known as a dangler or great 1-on-1 player, he certainly shows some great moves there. Kharlamov was still wearing #12 at that point.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Some of my favourites:

Game 8 of the 1972 Summit series (almost worth the hype)
Boston vs. CSKA 2-5, 1976, (a forgotten gem)
1976 CC, 2nd final, Canada vs. Czechoslovakia 5-4 OT
1979 Challenge Cup, 2nd game (the Soviets play near-flawless hockey in the last 30 minutes or so)
1980 Olympics, MOI game (it really is quite a good game)
1984 CC, semifinal CAN vs. USSR 3-2 OT (USSR's team play is lacking a bit but great individual efforts especially from Makarov and Larionov - the tempo of the game is amazing)
1987 CC, 3rd final (ok, it might actually be the weakest game of the three, but I'm the most fond of it for some reason)

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Where can I find the 87 Canada Cup? I've managed to download game 3, but not 1 or 2 (sadly, the 2 best games). I've tried Amazon, but its been discontinued. Can I find and download it somewhere?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Another to add to the mix was the 1991 NCAA title game between Northern Michigan and Boston University.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1139818/index.htm

By the time the 1991 NCAA hockey championship trophy was placed in the arms of Northern Michigan captain Brad Werenka last Saturday night at the St. Paul Civic Center, it was a wonder that he had the strength to lift it. Certainly the players from Boston University, which lost 8-7 to the Wildcats 1:57 into the third overtime, were too emotionally drained to cry. "Not too many tears yet," said BU coach Jack Parker. "They're all numb."

It was a heartbreaking loss for the Terriers, who had rallied from a three-goal deficit with eight minutes left in regulation to tie the score on David Sacco's goal with 39 seconds remaining. On the other hand, had Northern Michigan goalie Bill Pye not gloved an excellent chance by BU's star winger, Tony Amonte, in the final second of regulation, or had BU gone on to win in OT, the Wildcats would have been the team haunted by memories of what had slipped away.

"Thirty-nine seconds to a national championship and they score," said Northern Michigan left wing Darryl Plandowski. "I was ill, sick to my stomach." Perhaps the best way to sum up the drama of the game is to point out that within an hour Plandowski went from one of the worst moments of his life to the absolute best. A checker whose primary assignment for the night was to hound the explosive Amonte, Plandowski scored the winning goal to end the 80-minute-plus marathon.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
I've got the Oilers 10 greatest game box set and I would recommend to anyone who wasn't old enough to see that dynasty to buy it.

From it you must see:
-Gretzky's 50th goal in 39th game vs Philly
-Game 1 of the '84 SC Final when Grant Fuhr stole game 1 by himself
-Game 2 vs Calgary in '88 because you must see a Battle of Alberta game!

I'd also recommend:
-Habs vs Red Army New Year's Eve classic (Tretriak was awesome!)
-Leafs vs Kings game 7 (Gretzky's greatest game)
-Canucks vs Rangers game 7
-Pens vs Stars game from '91 when Mario scored "the goal"
-Habs vs Nordiques playoff game Good Friday Brawl '84
-Rangers vs Devils game 6 '94
-Kings vs Oilers game 3 (Oilers choke)
-Flyers vs Islanders final game '80 SC Final (you gotta see the Islanders)

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Where can I find the 87 Canada Cup? I've managed to download game 3, but not 1 or 2 (sadly, the 2 best games). I've tried Amazon, but its been discontinued. Can I find and download it somewhere?

I bought mine from this website...

http://classichockeydvd.ecrater.com/

The website has actually been shut down, but I believe you can still order dvds if you email them at the address shown on the main page. These aren't super great quality, but good enough, and not too expensive.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'd also suggest Montreal Canadiens vs. Soviet Red Army from Dec 31st, 1975. Regarded by many (incl. Tretiak) as the greatest game of all-time.
I honestly don't know why, and I've seen this game a couple of times. The Canadiens dominated the Soviets and had Dryden not been so awful that game ends 3-0 and nobody talks about it.

That said, it was certainly one of Tretiak's best games, possibly his best ever.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I honestly don't know why, and I've seen this game a couple of times. The Canadiens dominated the Soviets and had Dryden not been so awful that game ends 3-0 and nobody talks about it.

That said, it was certainly one of Tretiak's best games, possibly his best ever.

Oh, the Kharlamov goal was Dryden's fault too? Thanks for informing that.

Ont905

Mar 29, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uySyDzKiMw0
Try this link for the Flyers vs Red Army game from the same series as the Canadiens vs Red Army game. While not one of the best from a pure hockey skills level, it shows the difference in styles in the mid '70's NHL vs IIHF. Memorable for the "You hit them and they go home!" episode at around the 20 minute mark. Also Danny Gallivan at his best. Only thing lacking is Kate Smith with "God bless America" before the game.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uySyDzKiMw0
Try this link for the Flyers vs Red Army game from the same series as the Canadiens vs Red Army game. While not one of the best from a pure hockey skills level, it shows the difference in styles in the mid '70's NHL vs IIHF. Memorable for the "You hit them and they go home!" episode at around the 20 minute mark. Also Danny Gallivan at his best. Only thing lacking is Kate Smith with "God bless America" before the game.

Well, it was maybe a classic 'event', but a classic game? Not really. Just one team totally dominating another. All of those bad passes by CSKA's players make me cringe. A decent 2nd period though.

IMO the one game that shows the differences in styles but is also a truly good, competitive game is the Boston vs. CSKA match - again from the same series. Has one of the best - though scoreless - periods of hockey of all-time (the 1st).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad