OT: 10 Best Players From the '03 Draft

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
Seeing as we have Bergie, have brought in Eriksson, and just lost Horton, I'm curious to see where everyone thinks they rank...

My top 10:

1. Shea Weber
2. Eric Staal
3. Patty B.
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Corey Perry
6. Ryan Suter
7. Zach Parise
8. Jeff Carter
9. Thomas Vanek
10. Mike Richards

Hon. mentions: Ryan Kesler, Dustin Brown, Loui Eriksson

Maybe somebody smarter and more ambitious than me can figure out a way to tabulate the results...

member 96824

Mark Stuart.

No, im not sobbing, I just have something in my eye

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Weber is the number one, for sure, but the rest is pretty much up for debate. Perry, Getz, Staal, and Suter and Bergy are all pretty much interchangable, but I personally would take Bergy over all of them.

After that, really Eriksson is on the level of Richards, Vanek, Carter, etc. What a great draft.

Mark Stuart.

No, im not sobbing, I just have something in my eye

Hey, at least he got us Peverley... haha

Cutielemon07

Chara is Stuck!
May 28, 2013
In my own world
I would take Bergeron over all of them-in fact, I regularly do in Fantasy Hockey. Not only is he a good player (albeit with a bad injury history) and a good man in the Boston community, but he's a damn likeable guy dude as well. Humble, honest, kind-wish I was more like him! :laugh:
Then I would take Getzlaf.
And then i would take the following:
Weber
Staal
Parise
Perry
Kesler
Suter
Eriksson
Vanek.

Getzlaf and Perry are the two best players the Ducks have, Staal is the only good player the Hurricanes have, same for Weber and the Preds. Parise and Suter are the the two best the Wild have, they're not a great team by anyone's standards. Kesler is one of the best players on the Canucks, a stand out in an average team and Vanek is the lone beacon on a team of only darkness.

In fact, only Bergy, Getzlaf and Perry play on good teams. Hmm. As for the others, it just makes the world see that good players they are.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seeing as we have Bergie, have brought in Eriksson, and just lost Horton, I'm curious to see where everyone thinks they rank...

My top 10:

1. Shea Weber
2. Eric Staal
3. Patty B.
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Corey Perry
6. Ryan Suter
7. Zach Parise
8. Jeff Carter
9. Thomas Vanek
10. Mike Richards

Maybe somebody smarter and more ambitious than me can figure out a way to tabulate the results...

I`m not as smart as nor as ambitious as you so I`ll just say wow, great draft class;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

My top 10:

1. Shea Weber
2. Eric Staal
3. Patty B.
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Corey Perry
6. Ryan Suter
7. Zach Parise
8. Jeff Carter
9. Thomas Vanek
10. Mike Richards

If I had the first overall pick and everyone drafting also had the same crystal ball I'd be real tempted to take Bergeron first. However, removing him if I had the first pick I'd go Loui Eriksson

I kid but not by much

first pick - Weber

what is weird is this is considered the best draft since the 1979 which was unique because of the age change, and in your projection it has two second rounders in the top 3. The second round had about 10 players that made it- but arguably 6 studs

Eriksson-33
Bergeron -45
Weber- 49
Crawford- 52
Backes-62
Howard- 64

super dowche Max Lapierre was in this draft's second round (anyone catch the comments Thursday Shawn Thornton said about him- love it; I hate piece of shiit0 I wish the Habs still had him, it would be the perfect marriage

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

My top 10:

1. Shea Weber
2. Eric Staal
3. Patty B.
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Corey Perry
6. Ryan Suter
7. Zach Parise
8. Jeff Carter
9. Thomas Vanek
10. Mike Richards

Can't see Weber 1st and Ryan Suter only 6th. Once they were separated it was pretty clear Suter was the better overall player.

Might also take former Hart Trophy winner and 50 goal scorer Cory Perry over Bergy.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Can't see Weber 1st and Ryan Suter only 6th. Once they were separated it was pretty clear Suter was the better overall player.

Might also take former Hart Trophy winner and 50 goal scorer Cory Perry over Bergy.

Suter at 6 is dumb , Canadian bias at its best.

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK

Pshaw... Suter is excellent... Just not as good as the 5 other guys ahead of him... Although, I could see him moving up one spot and Perry moving down one... Maybe I'm just too used to seeing Getzlaf and Perry together...

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Pshaw... Suter is excellent... Just not as good as the 5 other guys ahead of him... Although, I could see him moving up one spot and Perry moving down one... Maybe I'm just too used to seeing Getzlaf and Perry together...

Well ok then it's settled

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I`m not as smart as nor as ambitious as you so I`ll just say wow, great draft class;)

I actually did a piece on this prior to the 2012-2013 season. Here's some stats:

Only 2 players in round 1 played fewer than 21 NHL games: Shawn Belle (20) and Hugh Jessiman (2)

15 of the remaining 28 have played in 500+ NHL games (lets not forget a lockout in there)
Another 4 played in 400+ games and another 2 in 300+ games

Round 2

1 player (Bergeron) played in 500+ games
5 players played in 400+ games
2 players played in 300+ games
16 played in 20 or fewer NHL games

If not for Bergeron's injury that cost him almost a season, only Eric Staal would have played more games than Bergeron.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
:shakehead What a dumb comment to make. So if you put together a list and put Suter too high for my liking I guess I can claim " American bias " ????[/

:shakehead all you want, if you think Suter is 5 spots lower than Weber there is no other explanation , period.

And yes there is plenty of Canadian bias all over the sport , sorry to point that out if you didn't think so.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

:shakehead What a dumb comment to make. So if you put together a list and put Suter too high for my liking I guess I can claim " American bias " ????

:shakehead all you want, if you think Suter is 5 spots lower than Weber there is no other explanation , period.

And yes there is plenty of Canadian bias all over the sport , sorry to point that out if you didn't think so.

I probably shouldn't waste my time arguing with somebody that sounds like he wears a tin foil hat but what the heck. The OP put Suter at # 6 because it was just his opinion and not because of Nationality. If he had put Eriksson ahead of Suter would that have meant he was using " Swedish bias " ???? Just so you know - I would have put Suter in at # 3 behind Weber and Bergie but that might be my darn Canadian bias creeping in again. :laugh: By the way - If I'm Canadian but cheer for an American team does that mean I'm showing Canadican or Amernadian bias ???? :dunno:

mikeybuddha91

Dec 8, 2008
In the interest of pushing this back in the right direction:

My top 10:

1. Shea Weber/Suter (Easily the top two)
3. Eric Staal/Parise
5. Patty B. (Less dynamic version of Parise to me)
6. Ryan Getzlaf
7. Corey Perry
8. Jeff Carter/Thomas Vanek
10. Mike Richards (Wish I could move him up but couldn't justify it. Crazy depth in the Draft)

Just made some tweaks to the original which I thought was pretty good. I obviously see a few guys as interchangeable and depending on situation, I'd choose one over the other.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
:shakehead What a dumb comment to make. So if you put together a list and put Suter too high for my liking I guess I can claim " American bias " ????[/

Totally printed this thread out, poured maple syrup in it - and like all things - Maple syrup made it BETTER.

For the record, I have Dustin Brown in my top ten, and put Vanek in tier 2. I have no anti american bias. I am only biased again Alien invaders. Like Mike Ricci.

member 96824

Im a big Dustin Brown fan but im pretty surprised to see him above Kesler on most of these lists.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I probably shouldn't waste my time arguing with somebody that sounds like he wears a tin foil hat but what the heck. The OP put Suter at # 6 because it was just his opinion and not because of Nationality. If he had put Eriksson ahead of Suter would that have meant he was using " Swedish bias " ???? Just so you know - I would have put Suter in at # 3 behind Weber and Bergie but that might be my darn Canadian bias creeping in again. :laugh: By the way - If I'm Canadian but cheer for an American team does that mean I'm showing Canadican or Amernadian bias ???? :dunno:

Tin hat ? Ok bud sorry to hurt your feelings, grow up and try to digest what I was saying if your capable.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Championships have to count for something IMO...

1. Staal
2. Perry
3. Bergeron
4. Getzlaf
5. Richards
6. Carter
7. Weber
8. Suter
9. Parise
10. D Brown

Was Gretzky less of a player with L.A.?

mikeybuddha91

Dec 8, 2008
Was Gretzky less of a player with L.A.?

:handclap: it made me chuckle because none of those getting "credit for championships" were the most important player during their cup seasons.

Thomas, chara, ward, quick, pronger, etc deserve that credit. This is about best players, not best players on great teams.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
:handclap: it made me chuckle because none of those getting "credit for championships" were the most important player during their cup seasons.

Thomas, chara, ward, quick, pronger, etc deserve that credit. This is about best players, not best players on great teams.

Yes. Championships are team trophies,many many great players don't win one and many mediocre players do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad