GDT: 10/9/14 Game #1: St. Louis Blues vs. New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hi Ranger fan here. Just listened to my 1st broadcast with Pang&Kelly.(Center ICe is unscrambled) I found them knowledgable , objective & entertaiing. I know it's a small sample but if these announcers are always like last night ; Blues fans are lucky.

Pang is awesome, and Kelly does a good job at identifying players (for both teams) but can be stiff in his delivery. They do a very creditable job on being informed about the opposing team. The Blues ARE lucky to have that crew. Its even better when Bernie Federko is between the benches with Pang up in the box with Kelly.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Absolutely right 2MM about the 4th line. Last night was a prime example of why teams have those type of players on the 4th line instead of going full EA Sports with skilled guys. You need that spark and energy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pang is awesome, and Kelly does a good job at identifying players (for both teams) but can be stiff in his delivery. They do a very creditable job on being informed about the opposing team. The Blues ARE lucky to have that crew. Its even better when Bernie Federko is between the benches with Pang up in the box with Kelly.

Although when Federko is included, they tend to get way off-topic which leads to a lot of inside jokes and everyone is wondering what the hell they are talking about. When that happens, you know they'd be great drinking buddies, but it can get a bit much after awhile. I'm just glad they are complete homers, like most teams have.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My thoughts from the game last night

- That first period was awful. I mean just awful.

- I would say the first two periods our transition game was pretty poor. We overused the stretch the pass, stretching out our 5 man units.

- Yes Cole was as bad as he looked. His board play was fine but his play with the puck was utterly embarrassing.

- It took some time to get him going but Schwartz was our best forward last night.

- Lehtera has got some quick mitts in tight. His work down below the goal line was impressive.

- The last powerplay of the night was solid the others were o so bad.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
Too often Cole looked like he had a grenade on his stick. I was hoping that aspect of his game had diminished. He can get the puck to the net from the point. If he would just settle down with the puck he would be fine in the NHL. He looked great on the give-and-go, until he passed up on the shot. Indicative of what the rest of the team was doing at the time, not shooting.

Lindstrom made a bad play on the Kreider breakaway goal, but played pretty well otherwise.

I did not like the defensive pairings at all. Jackman looked out of place a lot.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm too lazy to look through this whole thread, what's the deal with Stastny? That was a brutal hit he took.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Okay - deep breath - it's gonna be all right.

Hurts to play such a bad first period in the home opener, but it's only one game. There are 81 games left.

Very important that Stastny was not hurt. That would have been tough.

Like Hitchcock said, there is still work to be done - and that's okay.

I bet Jaskin jumped in a cab and headed to O'Hare airport when he saw Stastny go down.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Forgot to mention that, too. At least 5 or 6 high quality shots were passed up in favor of making a pass that didn't get there, and nullified the scoring chance. Cole's was the most painful, but Tarasenko did it too. Easy to fix, that, and the scoring chance was there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ummmmm....
fallon-haay.gif

Also, I don't get what all the hype is surrounding McDonagh? I thought he was very pedestrian last night, yet people claim he's better than Petro? I just don't get it, maybe he had an off night, but I looked for him every time he was on the ice and I was left really underwhelmed.

Does anybody else have a different take on him? And please rangers fans don't infect this board with your "Ryan is a top5 dman" claims. Am I missing something here?

Wasn't his best game, no. Seemed to be trying to jump into the play a bit much or forcing zone entries that weren't there. he makes quite a few good plays with the puck in the defensive end though and made some nice reads and jumped some passes by the Blues. Probably needs to dial it back a bit, he's trying to be all over the place and do everything at the moment

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Forgot to mention that, too. At least 5 or 6 high quality shots were passed up in favor of making a pass that didn't get there, and nullified the scoring chance. Cole's was the most painful, but Tarasenko did it too. Easy to fix, that, and the scoring chance was there.

Yeah, I think we're all seeing the same thing. Everyone knows they're on a line with very talented players, and it seemed like they were all just trying to be too fancy and score the highlight reel goals. When Hitch gets them to take a more direct approach, and look to shoot from everywhere, we will generate a lot more scoring chances. First goal was scored by Schwartz driving the net after Backes took a wrister from just inside the zone. Second goal was scored with a hard center lane drive. We need more of that, and less of spinning no look passes. I think we will see a major improvement in that regard against Calgary. Even the third period seemed to show some signs of improvement.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Berglund with more PP time than Schwartz....cute What is with Hitch and not giving Schwartz much PP time...ever?

griff713

Mar 25, 2014
Rockland County NY
putting ott on the power play is beyond me. i expected our pp to be sloppy as it usually is and it was the first game back, tough loss but onto the next one!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

In the case of Tarasenko's play, I remember that as the one that really started off the "SHOOOOOT" yellers, but he really didn't have a good opportunity. He got past the defender ther, but the guy had lost his stick right in Vladi's lane. He wouldn't have had a good shot if he had taken it.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I'm more upset with the coaching staff than any sole player.

1. I'm surprised more of you don't think the defensive shuffling is stupid. Here you have one of the best top-4 in the game and you shatter it completely. Why? If you have to do that in order to work in Gunnarson or Cole then you've already subtracted more than they are worth IMO. And that bottom pair was vomit worthy. Bouw and Petro were possibly the best pair in the league last season. Chemistry is gold at the start of a season and we are gonna wish we had more of it over this next stretch.

2. The powerplay sucked again. Kirk Muller was infamous for his insanely TERRIBLE powerplay in Carolina, and look, he's been hired to run ours! Our 5v3 didn't look threatening at all and at one point we were dump and chasing on the PP. And as people were posting, at another point we were set up so that no one could take a one-timer. We might as well just watch some tape of another team's powerplay and copy that instead of trying out Kirk's stupid ideas.

3. None of our lines gelled. That's a failure of the coaching staff during the preseason. Hitch played Lehtera-Tarasenko all preseason when people assumed Stastny-Tarasenko was the first choice. Well, that worked great! But then game 1 he suddenly decides to mix everything up again? Let the guys build some continuity.. we have multiple people trying to adjust to new linemates AND a new league.

On top of that we didn't seem to be playing our brand of possession hockey. We had guys randomly pinching and everyone was trying to run-n-gun for most of the game with cute little passes. The fact that it was such a teamwide issue earns Hitch another glare, though I will give him some credit for his adjustments after the 1st.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I still thing Tarasenko defers to other players too much at times. I want him to take charge and be the "go-to" guy on his line. God knows he's good enough to.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
It's the truth. If he's supposed to be one of our best forwards he needs to do a lot more. He was completely out of sync in the first 2 periods.

I agree. He looked like a different player after scoring the goal, but before that, he looked rustier than most other players. I think he'll be fine, though. Without him, the Blues probably don't score at all and he made a couple good defensive plays, too.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
It'll be interesting to see where we're at come Thanksgiving. By then new season jitters should be worked out, defensive pairings solidified, Allen gotten a few starts, etc.

I really didn't like the game last night. I just want to know how much of it is on first game of the season randomness, and how much is on the coaching staff.

Looking at you especially, Muller. That was a disgraceful powerplay last night. Absolutely nothing has changed. Why are you even here? Take his salary and pay Sobotka to come back. What makes it worse is that Canes fans warned us about this. With the personnel we have, running whatever the hell they ran last night should not be done. 90% of that is squarely on the coaching.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still thing Tarasenko defers to other players too much at times. I want him to take charge and be the "go-to" guy on his line. God knows he's good enough to.
This is why being on a line with steen isn't a good idea. Lehtera is a pure passer, Schwartz is a 50/50 guy, tank is the shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad