GDT: 10/3: Devils at Islanders: 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Like I said before, if Severson doesn't make this team then I'll lose a ton of faith in Hynes.

Severson is easily the most talented defensemen on this team and I think he's easily the second best defenseman on this team. If Hynes decides to play hardball with him, we are ruining a chance to develop a future top pairing defenseman, while getting significantly worse in the process.

I feel like Larsson wouldn't have been traded if Hynes and Shero didn't have faith in Severson.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
How would Severson not make the team? He'd have to go through waivers to be sent down now, which he obviously wouldn't get through.

Actually, I think he DOESN'T have to go through waivers. Still too young, if I recall correctly.

Either way, he's staying.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually, I think he DOESN'T have to go through waivers. Still too young, if I recall correctly.

I believe he has one more year of waiver exemption.

This is now Merrill's first year of no longer being exempt from waivers. Same goes for Helgeson and Reece Scarlett too. I believe Scrawny-I mean Scarlett already passed through waivers though.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I feel like Larsson wouldn't have been traded if Hynes and Shero didn't have faith in Severson.

As well as Santini and some of our upcoming prospects. Like Jacobs, Scarlett and White. Severson is making this team anyone who doesn't think so should have their head examined.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As well as Santini and some of our upcoming prospects. Like Jacobs, Scarlett and White. Severson is making this team anyone who doesn't think so should have their head examined.

I think Scarlett is already on his way to being the next Burlon, as in the one journeyman defenseman that is here for a while and doesn't even get a call up, nor a regular season game.

I think he's probably outta here in 2 more years, due to the vet rule or whatever it is. This is Burlon's first year gone.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think Scarlett is already on his way to being the next Burlon, as in the one journeyman defenseman that is here for a while and doesn't even get a call up, nor a regular season game.

I think he's probably outta here in 2 more years, due to the vet rule or whatever it is. This is Burlon's first year gone.

I actually went to edit my posts and delete Scarlett. I wish he could have gotten a chance though. How bout instead of Scarlett, well say Rykov. I do really like White and Jacobs. I think White is gonna have a great year point wise in juniors. Plus he has some size to him. Already 6'1" 190 and he will probably put on another 10 to 15 pounds of muscle.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I suppose you're right...I could have sworn part of the reason for sending him down for the playoffs last year was he'd never get a chance to play in the AHL again. But if he is still eligible and they sent him down I'd honestly believe they had something against him like Pete with Larsson. Even with Larsson that wasn't entirely Pete's fault, it was partly Lou hoarding immovable, old defensemen on one-way contracts.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think they probably said "It's Taylor Friggin' Hall! We'll figure out the defense afterward." or something.

Yeah, I think that's more likely. If you can pick up a young(ish) player who is top 5-10 at their position (and are an offensively starved team) you kind of have to pull the trigger and worry about filling other gaps later.

Besides, it's not as if the Devils haven't gotten by with a less than stellar defense corps before.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
no, it isn't.

That was all that needed to be said to that post. Severson is on the team. Where is this ******** coming from? Whi started this rumor? Cause this is one of the most rediculous things I've read on this board in a long time. Severson is an easy lock. The only question marks are whether Auvitu and/or Santini make the team and I want them both on the team, screw Moore and Merrill. That's it, now enough with this Severson ********, cause that's all it is B.S. nothing more.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think they probably said "It's Taylor Friggin' Hall! We'll figure out the defense afterward." or something.

No way. No trade involving really high end players is that simple. It was having Severson and Santini that made him expendable. Plus the fact we have a ton of cap space. I think we can offer Shattenkirk the best available offer. He wants to come to the east since he's from New Rochelle and I'm not sure who else could afford him. The Rangers and Isles can't afford him, aren't they both maxed out cap wise. The Flyers have all those amazing defense prospects so what's the point in going after him. We got the money, location and we're on the rise and I'm usually never confident in signing UFA's, but I just feel a tad different about this one. Even if we don't get him we'll be fine defensivly. Severson and Santini will just get better maybe Jacobs could be ready and plus UFA wise Burns, Kulikov, Daley and Brendan Smith who I have always like are also available.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You actually think a guy like santini made him expendable? He has 1 NHL game played.

I think the fact that Hall for Lars weighs heavily towards NJ was the driving force.

But I do think Santini made trading Lars a little less painful.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No way. No trade involving really high end players is that simple. It was having Severson and Santini that made him expendable. Plus the fact we have a ton of cap space. I think we can offer Shattenkirk the best available offer. He wants to come to the east since he's from New Rochelle and I'm not sure who else could afford him. The Rangers and Isles can't afford him, aren't they both maxed out cap wise. The Flyers have all those amazing defense prospects so what's the point in going after him. We got the money, location and we're on the rise and I'm usually never confident in signing UFA's, but I just feel a tad different about this one. Even if we don't get him we'll be fine defensivly. Severson and Santini will just get better maybe Jacobs could be ready and plus UFA wise Burns, Kulikov, Daley and Brendan Smith who I have always like are also available.

I don't think "expendable" is the word. I think "not insane" would be a better term. Larsson was never really expendable, but if we never had either Santini or Severson then trading Larsson - for anybody - would have been insane. Having two blue chip D prospects nearly ready made giving up Larsson a calculated risk where it would otherwise have been insanity.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd appreciate it if around 8pm they put the Mets game on the jumbotron (if for no other reason than to prevent what will be a sparse crowd from leaving).

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I do not think that there is tv or radio tonight (or a stream). Follow me on twitter #TreffNJDevils. Also here is #AGrossRecord.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'd appreciate it if around 8pm they put the Mets game on the jumbotron (if for no other reason than to prevent what will be a sparse crowd from leaving).

I would say that the majority of fans in attendance tonight have little to no interest in the Mets game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I hate the Islanders almost as much as the Rangers and Flyers at this point, it's really getting there.

I almost wanna rebel against our hippie-like ''Devils and Islanders fans unite and hold hands and get in a circle, to join as one in our hatred of the Rangers!'' more than the fact that I hate any players or anything else as much as that concept about us being ''On the same team''

It also helps that one of the early Pads McLargeHuge's is their GM's.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was an Isles fan before the Devils came around. I didn't really hate them till Wang took over. Actually, that's not true. The true hatred started with Mike Milbury.

There were times early on, however, when they really got on my nerves. Before 95, they used to chant "nineteen-never" at our games.

-Edit-
I couldn't make the game tonight. Noone here is live-blogging it? Bah.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was an Isles fan before the Devils came around. I didn't really hate them till Wang took over. Actually, that's not true. The true hatred started with Mike Milbury.

There were times early on, however, when they really got on my nerves. Before 95, they used to chant "nineteen-never" at our games.

-Edit-
I couldn't make the game tonight. Noone here is live-blogging it? Bah.

I think a lot of our older fans were Islanders fans first. I was kind of a Rangers fan at first, their games were televised and they were the only local team that were broadcast on standard cable at the time. But back then, I wasn't really a big hockey fan. I was more of a Mets and baseball fan than anything, that was back in the mid to late 80's and I was in elementary school. I was a Devils fan before I became a die hard hockey fan though.

A friend of mine's dad was a big Islanders fan before he started following the Devils in the early 90's. He says he'll still root for the Islanders in the playoffs (unless it's against the Devils) and has a soft spot, but he says he doesn't really care too much about them anymore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do not think that there is tv or radio tonight (or a stream). Follow me on twitter #TreffNJDevils. Also here is #AGrossRecord.

I'll link it for you so that others can follow!

https://twitter.com/TreffNJDevils

Doesn't look like much happening, other than we had 4 minutes of PP time (not consecutively) and still didn't score.

The Islanders could beat us using a piece of rope in nets usually.

Remember all those times we lost to the SCRUB Anders Nilsson and couldn't score more than 1 (or even 1 goal at all) against him? Or when they had Nabokov's reanimated corpse there.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think a lot of our older fans were Islanders fans first. I was kind of a Rangers fan at first, their games were televised and they were the only local team that were broadcast on standard cable at the time.
Ahh... you missed the days when you could catch the Devs on PBS 13. They'd show the game tape delayed, and would edit out the fights. No joke.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think I hate the Islanders almost as much as the Rangers and Flyers at this point, it's really getting there.

I almost wanna rebel against our hippie-like ''Devils and Islanders fans unite and hold hands and get in a circle, to join as one in our hatred of the Rangers!'' more than the fact that I hate any players or anything else as much as that concept about us being ''On the same team''

It also helps that one of the early Pads McLargeHuge's is their GM's.
Dev's and Isles could be like team North America......

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ahh... you missed the days when you could catch the Devs on PBS 13. They'd show the game tape delayed, and would edit out the fights. No joke.

I vaguely remember those being aired, just very vaguely.

At the time, I was more into baseball and even football. These days, I don't watch football at all, unless it's on over at somebody's else's house and they got it on. I don't like baseball enough to watch 162 games a year. I'll watch whenever the Mets are aired locally or nationally. I'll be watching tonight.

By the late 80's, I was more into the Devils and hockey than any other sport and it's been like that ever since. I definitely got into the Devils when Chico was still around, since I was a big fan of his. It was probably 85 or 86. Was that when they were showed on PBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad