GDT: 10/3/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Florida vs Tampa Bay in Orlando [Preseason Game 5]

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Correction NHL.com just updated the website, 160 PIM this game.

Raddysh looked …not great. Really wish we had a backup (besides bogo) on the right side since both Raddysh and perbix haven’t looked great and cernak is mr glass.
Its not the first time we have seen a defenseman be better with Hedman or Sergachev. Its basically what's happening. When Perbix is with Heddy and Raddysh is with Serge, I expect a lot of those bone head plays to stop. Mostly because they don't have to over stretch beyond their skill levels. They just have to play their games.

If we lose, I'm blaming DistantThunderRep.
Get rekt, Rose

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
5 to Jean-claude for fighting

5 to mikkola for being a ragdoll
Mikkola was dickin around in front of the net all game. And then, Mikkola got the full treatment. Tanner with the tune up.

I'm glad I'm not on I 4 heading back cause there was alot of suds consumed at that rink. Thank god the regular feeds won't have a crowd shot every 28 seconds. That crap got real tiring. btw, where's my beer?

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What’s a Katchouk moment?
There's more than 1 way to make a team and for Katchouk it wasn't about scoring goals, or killing penalties, or anything like that, or at least that I can remember. In that preseason game you had a kid who wasn't really a fighter, go out there and stand up for a teammate. That action was something that earned him instant respect and helped win over a veteran locker room. In that context too, you had a group of players that had just won back to back Stanley Cups. They had gone through their wars together, and they're looking for who else they can rely on to go into battle with to win again.

With things getting feisty through this game tonight, I thought maybe there would be potential for a similar event to happen.

Reactions: aylib

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's more than 1 way to make a team and for Katchouk it wasn't about scoring goals, or killing penalties, or anything like that, or at least that I can remember. In that preseason game you had a kid who wasn't really a fighter, go out there and stand up for a teammate. That action was something that earned him instant respect and helped win over a veteran locker room. In that context too, you had a group of players that had just won back to back Stanley Cups. They had gone through their wars together, and they're looking for who else they can rely on to go into battle with to win again.

With things getting feisty through this game tonight, I thought maybe there would be potential for a similar event to happen.

Don't think Katchouk is a good example of a guy winning a spot out of nowhere cause of respect, he had a monster half season with Syracuse the year before and has a big set of wheels, eyes have been on him for awhile. 2 points in 4 pre-season games also helped along with the fight but he was on the shortlist to make the team anyways. Koekpe is a guy who won a spot out of nowhere with a huge preseason but he didn't do much from on.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

That was a very ECHL-style game (although at a much higher level of execution). Physical, greasy, chippy. Not at all glamorous.

I don't have many takeaways, but from both yesterday's practice, and today's game, I'm not buying ABB as a top six.

I don't typically read too much into practice, but you can tell, even from watching drills, that someone like Steven Stamkos is a special player. I don't get that feeling over ABB. He looks like a call-up. Tonight's game was not one he was particularly built for, I'll admit.

We've all been sleeping on Fortier, with our fixations on Merela, Groshev, ABB, etc. Fortier made it to the final 26. I can see him on the fourth line.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Enough can not watch this game anymore tonight. Both teams sloppy. The best looking bolt forward Paul. And if we have to depend Jeanott for PO goals were in a world of hurt. Johanson looked ok but then again the Panthers were even more sloppy than the bolts. This should have been a game where guys showed more skill to solidify their spot. Instead we get the we hate you you hate us honing. Perbix with a particularly poor two periods. Hagel missing breakaway Cirelli just absent from pushing offense tonight. ABB was active in the first but all the penalties in the second he had very limited time again where does he fit I’m not sure. Looks like Watson will get a contract and his and Jeanott’s PIMs will keep us short handed .

Thankfully Drago was not injured late in the first. I have tried to give Bogo the benifit of the doubt but he is a slug skating.

Many will make the point that our best guys were not out there but the Panthers did not have their best either. We don’t know anything more now than before the game started.
If this is how you feel after our Vasy replacement pitches his 2nd consecutive shutout, I fear for you when we actually get scored on or lose a game. Good God man, if hockey is this miserable for you when we're winning and not even icing our 6 best players, you should find something more rewarding to do with your time.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

That was a very ECHL-style game (although at a much higher level of execution). Physical, greasy, chippy. Not at all glamorous.

I don't have many takeaways, but from both yesterday's practice, and today's game, I'm not buying ABB as a top six.

I don't typically read too much into practice, but you can tell, even from watching drills, that someone like Steven Stamkos is a special player. I don't get that feeling over ABB. He looks like a call-up. Tonight's game was not one he was particularly built for, I'll admit.

We've all been sleeping on Fortier, with our fixations on Merela, Groshev, ABB, etc. Fortier made it to the final 26. I can see him on the fourth line.

With those kind of numbers, it is perfectly clear why there is preseason NHL hockey in Orlando and not Syracuse. Not only the cost of travel, but that is like almost three times the SRO capacity of the War Memorial.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Johansson, save some for the regular season please.

I thought ABB had been playing well offensively, but he impressed me a lot tonight. I can see him making the team as a 2nd liner or on the third if he's with Paul, and also on the power play. He seems to do his best work there.

Not the most impactful game from Merela, but he got almost no PP time, where he'd been standing in front of the net and deflecting shots in.

Paul looked pretty darn good tonight. Still holding out hope he gets another chance at the 2nd line.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Another pretty solid game from ABB. He doesn't look out of place or behind the pace of play, so to speak, as some previous preseasons. I still have him moving between the 2nd and 3rd lines, depending on specific line combos. Merela.is still ahead of Fortier and Watson imo, but could easily see him being the last cut and first call up after getting a little time in Syracuse.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I know Jeannot is on the opening day roster no matter what and its just preseason but some of these shifts look like me playing beer league after not skating for six years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
is it only me or Cirelly really looked muuuuch faster than he ever was? like hes skating stepped up to next level, dude just flew over ice
His sophomore year he was super fast. Like Point lite. He hasnt had that extra step since that year though.

I'm wondering if it's been a long, long time since he's been fully healthy. Either that or he's taking this preseason way too seriously.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought Stamkos' speed this preseason has been couple of steps above the usual, he looks like he's got wheels.

I could be wrong but feel like he's been able to start strong in some of the past seasons. It's as you go further on is where I think maybe some wear and tear has come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad