Post-Game Talk: 10/26/17 | Capitals 1 @ Canucks 6 | Alex Who?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Man boeser is such a cerebral player. He does tons of little things. Just a treat to wAtch. Only a matter of time before he starts blasting home goals on the pp.

If he can work on his skating he's gonna even more of a stud.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I sorta did the whole game in an hour thing, but geez, in a game I thought they'd get spanked they looked real good. The team is skating and attacking so much more than last yr it doesn't look anything like the same club. I guess part of that is the twins being around 12 minutes. Horvat line was awesome, but so is the line I wanted to see in the offseason of Sutter w Granlund and Dorsett. Difference is I thought it would be a 4th line but it's playing like the best 3rd line in the league. Some lucky goals but another game where they kinda ran another team out of the rink. And again Gudbranson's toughness was nice to have. We might have as many dominant wins as we did all of last yr. I get that it's not going to last but this is very interesting.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
We got Baertschi for a second round pick

Yeah, I've never liked the practice of judging a trade down the road based on what the other team picked with the draft pick you gave them.

Quinton Howden specifically was never a part of the Ballard deal as much as people tried to include him afterwards to make the trade look worse for us... well, thats until he failed to crack the NHL anyways.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Excellent performance although Washington continues the run of ghastly opposition performances. Lots of positive performances tonight.

- Sutter line was exceptional through to the 5-0 goal although they faded and conceded a bunch of chances after that when it didn't matter. Dorsett continues his run of both excellent play and unbelievable luck - his assist was a pass to nobody on the right side of the net that hit a skate and fell to Granlund with a wide-open net. I think maybe 1 of his points this year hasn't contained a lucky bounce.

- 6-53-47 line had a great game especially on the PP where it was much needed. Baertschi was the main engine with one of his best career games. Boeser wasn't as good as his 3 points but when you're making solid offensive touches sometimes the points start to flow.

- Sedin line did little after a couple quality games. Thought that was Virtanen's weakest game of the season - had a few gliding lazy fly-bys sneaking in at points tonight.

- I literally only noticed Vanek twice tonight - on his goal and then his breakaway. Burmistrov had an active game and looked good. Gagner did show a bit more zip tonight at points although still one of our weaker players.

- Chris Tanev belongs on Team Canada at the Olympics if NHLers were going. What a player. Hutton (like everyone who plays with Tanev) has taken his game to new highs as well.

- Del Zotto continues his strong play and is probably the best acquisition in 4 years by this management group. Gudbranson had a solid game especially physically.

- Biega didn't play his best game but was still solid. Pouliot did play his best offensive game so far but still looked wobbly defensively at times. Footspeed remains an issue.

- Nilsson continues to excel. Will be interesting to see who gets the next game.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Tanev was absolutely amazing and fun to watch. This is the prototypical game that I wish other fanbases get to watch but unfortunately they'll never understand how good he really is

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Which was ........ Rasmus Andersson!
You know we could have very well picked Graham Knott. The next pick after Andersson that didn't get up to a PPG in the OHL in his last season

Basing it off who they picked is ridiculous. We got Sven Baertschi for a 53rd overall value. Or a 33.3% chance at an NHL'er. I'd call that a win every day, considering Baertschi was on pace for over 40 points last year, and this year has 8 points in his first 10 games and looks more like a top 6 staple every day

It's a narrative that doesn't need to be spun. Benning has made a lot of bad trades. That isn't one.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Tanev was absolutely amazing and fun to watch. This is the prototypical game that I wish other fanbases get to watch but unfortunately they'll never understand how good he really is
His sliding blocks should be dissected by Don Cherry on Saturday.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Opposing goalies staring down Dorsett
giphy.gif

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Which was ........ Rasmus Andersson!
Did the Maple Leafs trade Scott Niedermayer (or for a while Eric Lindros) for Tom Kurvers? Doesn’t work like that.

Anyone know where the opposition teams tended to stay pre-GM Place? I suspect still downtown just for lack of options near Hastings and Renfrew, but if not I wonder if Roxy Flu was less of a thing.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Did the Maple Leafs trade Scott Niedermayer (or for a while Eric Lindros) for Tom Kurvers? Doesn’t work like that.

Anyone know where the opposition teams tended to stay pre-GM Place? I suspect still downtown just for lack of options near Hastings and Renfrew, but if not I wonder if Roxy Flu was less of a thing.
Somewhere on East Hastings most likely. The Balmoral or the Sunrise. Or maybe the Astoria if they wanted to be closer to the rink. Lot's of hotels on Hastings to choose from. Good country and western bar music scene down there back then too.

And who needs the Roxy when you have Frank's Place, the Kit Kat Klub and the Smilin' Buddha. Right?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Somewhere on East Hastings most likely. The Balmoral or the Sunrise. Or maybe the Astoria if they wanted to be closer to the rink. Lot's of hotels on Hastings to choose from. Good country and western bar music scene down there back then too.

And who needs the Roxy when you have Frank's Place, the Kit Kat Klub and the Smilin' Buddha. Right?
Yes, no doubt. :laugh:

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

A number of them used to stay at the Westin Bayshore. A lot still do.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
- Sutter line was exceptional through to the 5-0 goal although they faded and conceded a bunch of chances after that when it didn't matter. Dorsett continues his run of both excellent play and unbelievable luck - his assist was a pass to nobody on the right side of the net that hit a skate and fell to Granlund with a wide-open net. I think maybe 1 of his points this year hasn't contained a lucky bounce.

I think this "luck" take on Dorsett is pretty weak. You mention a lucky bounce but not the exceptional forecheck by Dorsett to cause the turnover that led directly to the play? This was also essentially the same thing he did on an earlier goal this year, I think maybe Sutter in the first game of the year. Those are at least two points not caused by luck and instead a direct result of an excellent hockey play along the boards separating the man from the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad