GDT: 10/25/2014 - Tampa Bay @ Minnesota - 7PM CST - 3AM Suomi - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Or, you know, Zucker scores even more goals in a prominent role...

could happen, by why do it when he's productive as-is, and the team is playing very good hockey? Sub him up when we're behind. Or if a line desperately needs a shake up or a message sent.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
You're going to get exponentially more stable production from higher lines than believing the fourth line is going to continue to produce.

Frankly, at minimum, it's silly that he doesn't get a minute on the PP given his track record and skill set.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
You're going to get exponentially more stable production from higher lines than believing the fourth line is going to continue to produce.

Frankly, at minimum, it's silly that he doesn't get a minute on the PP given his track record and skill set.

i completely agree with the PP thing. if the lemaire era team could float a risky guy like Bergeron on a PP successfully you'd think they'd put a shooter like Zucker out there even if they thought he might be a liability (which appears to not be the case, given his PK duties).

Your first statement I don't know what to do with...Its been too short a period to be able to ascertain stability outside our top line, which was together much of last year. Third line has been the most disappointing for me thusfar but that's mainly because Haula has looked a little off. I just really like the idea of being able to exploit those minutes Zucker gets. I don't think he needs to be sheltered (like i did in the beginning), but this is already looking how I thought it would look if he made it as a fourth liner. We could change the way the NHL plays hockey if this works :). the labels could become sort of meaningless, too, as far as what "liner" some players are. Not everyone, like Granlund wouldn't ever be considered a third liner, but there's already ambiguity in the top six, so why not bottom six?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Zucker is like a ninja. Fast and deadly. Strikes from the shadows when the opponent is unprepared and vulnerable.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm guessing smarter players, or better positionally or some combo of that with faster will be able to read zucker a lot better than what he's faces so far and shut him down as a threat. just guessing. he's A LOT better away from the puck now and preseason he was far more judicious with the puck than last year so who knows how he'd look a whole game with more minutes and harder comp. Its great though, that he's a ready option if Coyle starts playing soft again or Nino fumbles the puck a few games in a row.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, he obviously won't be scoring at a 54 goal pace, but I doubt he becomes completely neutered playing up one line.

If he continues to out perform and outproduce Fontaine, it'll happen sooner rather than later.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't think it'll hurt him at all (Zucker) going to the third line but I'm not convinced it'll help, either. Probably be an even swap in points, but just distributed in three lines instead of four. like i said, if they're struggling go for it. probably better at home when we get last change.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm confused... What is wrong in the first place? This team is a +13 in goal diff. though 6 games?

most discussion here revolves around fixing "problems" so its natural to find the weakest areas and propose changes, even when they're not really what we'd have called problems in the past. Expectations go up and so does the detail in the criticism. :)

you could say it's only been 6 games and mean it negatively or positively depending on your point. you could look at that goal differential and say we've been more lucky and it'll come down to earth unless we do something to increase scoring even more or you could say we're trending the right way and trust it's an indicator of how the season will play out or at least as a sign that the team is still headed in the right direction--its a sign we're addressing our glaring weakness. We're addressing it with depth, not with assembling super-lines.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Ranger fan here, newly transplanted to Minneapolis.

Last night was my first game at Xcel. Have to say, really great experience. Hats off to the Minnesota organization for a very nice presentation.

I was just wondering how much rowdier it gets for divisional and rivalry games. The crowd was pretty docile last night. Was that just a function of it being a bit of a laugher against an Eastern team, or is Xcel just not that kind of place?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

Last night was my first game at Xcel. Have to say, really great experience. Hats off to the Minnesota organization for a very nice presentation.

I was just wondering how much rowdier it gets for divisional and rivalry games. The crowd was pretty docile last night. Was that just a function of it being a bit of a laugher against an Eastern team, or is Xcel just not that kind of place?

it's pretty docile, but like anywhere it depends on what's going on season-wise and on the ice that night. Its average at worst from the places i've been. Cultural thing. Minnesotans aren't loud.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

We step it up a little bit for the playoffs, but in general it's not a particularly rowdy crowd. I've definitely gotten glares for booing a bad call, and even once was asked "if I was going to talk the whole time." Gotta love Minnesota Nice.

IMO it's because we've priced all the working class folks out of the arena. If you go back and watch highlights from the early days, it was really loud. But particularly during some of the leaner years (i.e., post-Gaborik and pre-Parise), ticket prices skyrocketed while the team was garbage. The only people who could really afford it (and the only crowd the team seemed interested in attracting anyway) were suburbanite season ticket holders. I'm not trashing the suburbs by any means (I grew up in them!), but the combination of rising prices, mediocre hockey, and the same fans in the same seats every night sort of created this weird Country Club culture. It's getting slightly better, but we're still feeling the residual effects of a few years where people were more interested in catching up with their season ticket neighbors and chatting about how the kids were doing than in cheering.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
We step it up a little bit for the playoffs, but in general it's not a particularly rowdy crowd. I've definitely gotten glares for booing a bad call, and even once was asked "if I was going to talk the whole time." Gotta love Minnesota Nice.

IMO it's because we've priced all the working class folks out of the arena. If you go back and watch highlights from the early days, it was really loud. But particularly during some of the leaner years (i.e., post-Gaborik and pre-Parise), ticket prices skyrocketed while the team was garbage. The only people who could really afford it (and the only crowd the team seemed interested in attracting anyway) were suburbanite season ticket holders. I'm not trashing the suburbs by any means (I grew up in them!), but the combination of rising prices, mediocre hockey, and the same fans in the same seats every night sort of created this weird Country Club culture. It's getting slightly better, but we're still feeling the residual effects of a few years where people were more interested in catching up with their season ticket neighbors and chatting about how the kids were doing than in cheering.

this sums up pretty much everything you need to know.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

I'm eager to see what the crowd is going to be like when Chicago comes to town this year. Will we continue the serenade of Crawford? Will Crawford even start in our barn after the verbal abuse of the playoffs? :laugh:

Slick Willy*

Just watching the last couple home games on TV it's been oddly quiet to me. The win over the Coyotes seemed to just be a fairly poor game but yesterday it was extremely quiet compared to anything I've ever seen there. I really don't know how to call it.

They stop selling booze down there at the X?

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm eager to see what the crowd is going to be like when Chicago comes to town this year. Will we continue the serenade of Crawford? Will Crawford even start in our barn after the verbal abuse of the playoffs? :laugh:

Man, I would be so happy if Crawford became the next Luongo.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Please don't tell me you just attempted to compare those two.

He meant a goalie who struggles really badly in St Paul, to the point they don't ever play here anymore. Like Lou in the last few years in Vancouver.

At least, that is what I am guessing he was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad