GDT: 10/25/2014 - Tampa Bay @ Minnesota - 7PM CST - 3AM Suomi - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
BTW - one thing that usually is a good indicator of how strong your position in the standings are is goal differential.

Yep. Goal differential is the strongest predictor of team success.

big ups! my all time favorite simpsons bit.

When I grow up, I want to be a principal, or a caterpillar.

i don't think it'll hurt him at all (Zucker) going to the third line but I'm not convinced it'll help, either. Probably be an even swap in points, but just distributed in three lines instead of four. like i said, if they're struggling go for it. probably better at home when we get last change.

The easiest way to think of these things is to take to the logical extremes.

Would Sidney Crosby score more points on the first line or on the fourth line? Yes, Crosby would (in theory) face easier competition on the fourth line. But he will have better teammates and far more TOI/G on the top line.

I will say, Zucker is going to be a bit overrated right now because almost everything he shoots is going in. You can't expect him to score 44% of his shots all year. A lot like Fontaine last year.

BUT. That doesn't mean he should be relegated to the fourth line. I also don't think there's any reason Zucker should be below Fontaine on the depth chart and on the lines.

I still think I'd like to see Vanek and Parise flipped around, if anything to get Vanek going and to speed up that Koivu line, and move Zucker to the third line at least.

Vanek-Granlund-Pommer
Parise-Koivu-Coyle/Zucker
Nino-Haula-Zucker/Coyle
Cooke-Brodz-Fontaine

I'm confused... What is wrong in the first place? This team is a +13 in goal diff. though 6 games?

Well, the team has played outstanding hockey. Third in shots per game for, first in shots per game against. But the PP hasn't scored through six games. That killed the Wild two years ago in the playoffs and arguably is the biggest weakness.

Ask any hockey coach and they will not be satisfied just by winning. You constantly need to be improving, otherwise you're going to get left behind.

Wild have come out to a few hot starts and then faded down the stretch. I want to see this team put the foot on the gas and not just be a blip on the radar for one year (like Colorado last year).

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yep. Goal differential is the strongest predictor of team success.

When I grow up, I want to be a principal, or a caterpillar.

The easiest way to think of these things is to take to the logical extremes.

Would Sidney Crosby score more points on the first line or on the fourth line? Yes, Crosby would (in theory) face easier competition on the fourth line. But he will have better teammates and far more TOI/G on the top line.

I will say, Zucker is going to be a bit overrated right now because almost everything
he shoots is going in. You can't expect him to score 44% of his shots all year. A lot like Fontaine last year.

BUT. That doesn't mean he should be relegated to the fourth line. I also don't think there's any reason Zucker should be below Fontaine on the depth chart and on the lines.

I still think I'd like to see Vanek and Parise flipped around, if anything to get Vanek going and to speed up that Koivu line, and move Zucker to the third line at least.

Vanek-Granlund-Pommer
Parise-Koivu-Coyle/Zucker
Nino-Haula-Zucker/Coyle
Cooke-Brodz-Fontain

Well, the team has played outstanding hockey. Third in shots per game for, first in shots per game against. But the PP hasn't scored through six games. That killed the Wild two years ago in the playoffs and arguably is the biggest weakness.

Ask any hockey coach and they will not be satisfied just by winning. You constantly need to be improving, otherwise you're going to get left behind.

Wild have come out to a few hot starts and then faded down the stretch. I want to see this team put the foot on the gas and not just be a blip on the radar for one year (like Colorado last year).
I would be more concerned if they were only scoring on the powerplay and nothing at even strength.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The thing with Zucker is, of course he's not going to shoot at 44% all year, but in theory bumping him up to play with more talented offensive players should increase the # of shots, which would even it out a bit.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The thing with Zucker is, of course he's not going to shoot at 44% all year, but in theory bumping him up to play with more talented offensive players should increase the # of shots, which would even it out a bit.

It won't be long before Zucker moves up to the 3rd line to play with Haula and Nino, IMO.

NHLPodium

Dec 5, 2012
Ranger fan here, newly transplanted to Minneapolis.

Last night was my first game at Xcel. Have to say, really great experience. Hats off to the Minnesota organization for a very nice presentation.

I was just wondering how much rowdier it gets for divisional and rivalry games. The crowd was pretty docile last night. Was that just a function of it being a bit of a laugher against an Eastern team, or is Xcel just not that kind of place?

It was definitely one of the quieter nights I've experienced in a while. Before we made playoffs we used to be VERY quiet, it's getting better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad